Reality check

150 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Reality check

by andrew1957 » 30 Jan 2008 22:49

I really cannot believe all the negativity after tonight's game.

We have just lost 1-0 to a team that had £150M or so talent on the pitch and has been able to pay £15M this month for one player alone.

The entire cost of the Reading squad is just £13.5M by my calculation.

Even if we had spent £10M or so this transfer window do you really think it would have made a difference.

The lads played well and did us proud tonight (especially second half) just as they did against Man U.

We have much easier games coming up and our fight to stay up will only really start on Saturday against Bolton.

Our defence looks much more solid - Cisse and Ingi may well be the partnership to see us through.

Now is the time for number 13 to step up and really support the team - a win against Bolton will set us up well for the last part of the season.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reality check

by West Stand Flash » 30 Jan 2008 22:49

Why are people moaning, we were away to ONE OF THE BIG FOUR, look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts. Coppell has done such amazing things for us. He is so good I would eat his s**t.

Typical RTG post above.

Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down (& no not just based on tonights showing). 135 years to get somewhere & stay for 2 seasons. Well done Mr Madejski, Mr Howe, Mr Hammond & Mr Coppell. Top draw that...!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 30 Jan 2008 22:57

West Stand Flash Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down

Coral have us at 5/1 to go down. Of the relegation "pack" only Middlesbrough are less fancied to go down.

Are we in a relegation battle? Yes, without a doubt.

Does that make us favourites, let alone "strong favourites" to go down? No. Strange how a "realist" doesn't appear to actually have any grasp of reality.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 30 Jan 2008 22:57

Chelsea were crap tonight but we were worse. Their £150 million worth of talent didn't shine through like Utd's did, we were just clueless. If we had played the same way as we did against Utd or if the starting line up and positions had been different or if two or three of those who did start didn't look woefully inadequate then we'd have got something from the game.

I'm entirely bored with the "well done chaps, good show!" attitude, just because we didn't finish 5 goals behind. We lack quality in most areas and the manager doesn't want to rock the apple cart incase he upsets the squad that got us promoted nearly two years ago.

The phrase "running out of excuses" springs to mind.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jan 2008 23:13

andrew1957 I really cannot believe all the negativity after tonight's game.

We have just lost 1-0 to a team that had £150M or so talent on the pitch and has been able to pay £15M this month for one player alone.

The entire cost of the Reading squad is just £13.5M by my calculation.

Even if we had spent £10M or so this transfer window do you really think it would have made a difference.

The lads played well and did us proud tonight (especially second half) just as they did against Man U.

We have much easier games coming up and our fight to stay up will only really start on Saturday against Bolton.

Our defence looks much more solid - Cisse and Ingi may well be the partnership to see us through.

Now is the time for number 13 to step up and really support the team - a win against Bolton will set us up well for the last part of the season.

Good post.

1-0 AWAY to Cheatski with players away/injured is a reasonable result.

Any moaning now is purely on the back of results so far.

So we don't need to hear it thank you very much, as you've all had ALL SEASON to make the same points.

We've now got 2 new players and it's time to judge things AS THEY STAND. Not regurgitating the bleeding obvious cynicism thanks to our previous bad form.

Tonight's Chelsea result if anything is a good thing and not some new piece of information that justifies extra moaning.

Apart from why Marek didn't play and subs weren't used earlier - but that's minor match talk not a cause to go mental.

Save the gloom for the Bolton result

CHILL OUT LADS

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Jan 2008 23:18

Reality check is that even 'We're too good to go down' & 'We don't deserve to go down' are starting to surface.

The manager and players have got to start picking up points at unexpected places, regardless of the value of the opposition players. Based on our form to date, we will not pick up maximum points against our relegation rivals.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Jan 2008 23:23

The result's nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, but some of the football was lamentable. I'll stick to the line I did three years ago which was that these players should be playing better.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 30 Jan 2008 23:27

Arch The result's nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, but some of the football was lamentable. I'll stick to the line I did three years ago which was that these players should be playing better.

Indeed the scoreline gives a false picture. While the result was as per, I expected us to make a game of it for 90 minutes rather than the 45 we actually managed.

When the opposition are as profligate as Chelsea were you have to make the best of your chances. However we just didn't create enough, and that was very disappointing given the excellent display v Man U.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 30 Jan 2008 23:53

Platypuss
Arch The result's nothing to get your knickers in a twist about, but some of the football was lamentable. I'll stick to the line I did three years ago which was that these players should be playing better.

Indeed the scoreline gives a false picture. While the result was as per, I expected us to make a game of it for 90 minutes rather than the 45 we actually managed.

When the opposition are as profligate as Chelsea were you have to make the best of your chances. However we just didn't create enough, and that was very disappointing given the excellent display v Man U.

Chelsea play an entirely different style of football to Man U. they keep possession and play it around and make it very hard for teams to get the ball. It is more like the Italian style. It may be a boring way to play but it is very effective. I have watched them play several times lately and they never look very good BUT they keep winning - 9 in a row now - so for those who say they were rubbish - wake up and smell the coffee - they don't keep winning for no reason.

To me Reading played just as well second half as we did against Man U - it is just we were up against a completely different style of play.

Ghosting In

by Ghosting In » 31 Jan 2008 00:20

Never mind all the woffle - here's the reality check.

We've won two premier games since the 27 October.
Our actual record is W2 D3 L9. That's 9pts from the last 14 games.

Co-incidentally we have 14 games left. We are on 22pts. Who thinks another 9pts will save us?

Only 3 times in those 14 games have we scored more than 1 goal.

We have only one 90th minute consolation (already 3-0 and beaten) goal scored this year.

The transfer window has been open a month and we have done no meaningful business.

MADNESS!!!!!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Jan 2008 00:26

West Stand Flash Why are people moaning, we were away to ONE OF THE BIG FOUR, look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts. Coppell has done such amazing things for us. He is so good I would eat his s**t.

Typical RTG post above.

Realists - We are completely awful & strong favourites to go down (& no not just based on tonights showing). 135 years to get somewhere & stay for 2 seasons. Well done Mr Madejski, Mr Howe, Mr Hammond & Mr Coppell. Top draw that...!

Do you have any friends?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 Jan 2008 00:27

Ghosting In Never mind all the woffle - here's the reality check.

Co-incidentally we have 14 games left. We are on 22pts. Who thinks another 9pts will save us?

We have only one 90th minute consolation (already 3-0 and beaten) goal scored this year.

The transfer window has been open a month and we have done no meaningful business.

MADNESS!!!!!

And we're still not in a relegation place..........

Ghosting In

by Ghosting In » 31 Jan 2008 00:45

Gordons Cumming

MADNESS!!!!!

How observant GC.
Take away those "nothing to lose" away games (which we do nothing but lose) at Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton and we're down to 11 games left.

Can you here the tap...drip ...drip....drip. That's our premier league status.....still as long as we only have to go do Derby last game to wait to find the plug - we won't bother calling a plumber.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 31 Jan 2008 05:22

Ideal
Ghosting In The transfer window has been open a month and we have done no meaningful business.

MADNESS!!!!!

It's a fcuking joke. How on earth people can be satisfied that all we've brought in is Jimmy Kebe is just hilarious.

I could've sworn there was someone else.

Shaka's Giant Hands

by Shaka's Giant Hands » 31 Jan 2008 07:13

I no this may sound silly in a sick kinda way...but is no one else slighly enjoying the relegation battle that we are slipping into?

In the premiership only one of 4 (more realistically 3 as Liverpool always drop away) teams are going to win the league which leaves the rest to play each other. Yes we are still learning in this league and the only way to learn is to experience the league for the good and bad (last year the good!)

Not for a long time have we taken so much interest in the score of Sunderland v Birmingham, or hoping that Fulham sneak a point against Boro etc... It's what football is, if we go down we go down...but come next August we will start which ever league we deserve to be in.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Jan 2008 07:52

Arch
Ideal
Ghosting In The transfer window has been open a month and we have done no meaningful business.

MADNESS!!!!!

It's a fcuking joke. How on earth people can be satisfied that all we've brought in is Jimmy Kebe is just hilarious.

I could've sworn there was someone else.

Nah he must be right.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2008 08:15

Gordons Cumming

MADNESS!!!!!

Ever since last summer the optimists have been promising us false dawns. Still time in this (summer) transfer window. No problem we will easily beat Bolton/Fulham away.Will win this or that game and things will start to turn. Still time (one day now) in this transfer window. etc. etc. All the time we have been sliding relentlessly closer towards the trap door. Just waiting for the fat lady quotes now!

The team is in the shyte. Coppell sends Dillon out to face the music and we get told the team's attitude wasn't right in the first half but things got better in the second. Yet another admission (and surely the optimists can't spin it any other way) that the players/management are failing. Then Murty states that they've realised if they are positive and really go at teams they can give any team in this league a real fight. No shyte Sherlock! The fans have been saying that for a long time but still the management keep sending the team out with negative selections, formations, tactics and, if Dillon is right about the first half last night, negative attitudes.

Unless things change dramatically and quickly even the eternal optimists won't be able to deny that we are in a relegation place.

Just read this quote from Steve Coppell re last night.

"But it is an investment. If you invest you are going to get a return."

Has he tried living by that himself or is it, as I suspect, that he has failed to convince Madejski of that? (and does anyone really expect him to blow the whistle on his Chairman at this point?!).

If we don't effing invest we're going to get a return too - back to the lower leagues we came from.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Jan 2008 08:34

I think I'll contain my negativity until after the Bolton game.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 31 Jan 2008 08:41

RoyalBlue Reality check is that even 'We're too good to go down' & 'We don't deserve to go down' are starting to surface.

The manager and players have got to start picking up points at unexpected places, regardless of the value of the opposition players. Based on our form to date, we will not pick up maximum points against our relegation rivals.

0 points in January, some baffling tactics, and we sign two players in the transfer window that virtually noone has heard of and according to Coppell are, 'Not up to speed'
Anyone who doesn't think we are in serious danger of being relegated is living in cloud cuckoo land.
Me thinks Coppell is nearing the end of his stress tolerance level and will walk if not be pushed at the end of the season!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 31 Jan 2008 08:47

West Stand Flash Why are people moaning, we were away to ONE OF THE BIG FOUR, look how far we have come, enjoy it while it lasts. Coppell has done such amazing things for us. He is so good I would eat his s**t.

Typical RTG post above.

There is a large part of me that wants to say that this is a free world and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But what the hell, let's allow the small part of me that is itching to get out do just that.

You are a tit of the first order. You are unable to construct a sensible balanced case and can only produce endless negative nonsense. To use a balanced and considered case against you is pointless as you can't understand the logic or thought processes of educated people. It would delight many people if you'd just crawl back into your hidey hole and disappear, never to be heard from again.

Phew, that was enjoyable.

150 posts