Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 Mar 2008 11:41

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Remember the time we thrashed Blackburn 4-0 at Elm Park?

by Dirk Gently » 26 Mar 2008 11:42

I have absolutely no recollection of that whatsoever!

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 26 Mar 2008 11:42

Amazing!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 Mar 2008 11:52

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 26 Mar 2008 12:17

I would definitely have been there but have absolutely no memory of it at all. :(

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Mar 2008 12:29

brighton_royal I would definitely have been there but have absolutely no memory of it at all. :(

I definitely wouldn't have been there and have no memory of it as a result.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 26 Mar 2008 12:32

Back in 86-7 the programme was prety crap, with no write-ups of previous games etc.

I found this centre page photo spread a few matches later. No digital photography in those days, so maybe that's why it took nearly 6 weeks to get into print!!

Team info etc ...

Last edited by strap on 26 Mar 2008 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

royal tunbridge wells

by royal tunbridge wells » 26 Mar 2008 12:35

It was my first ever game.

I'd just arrived as a fresher at Reading Uni...and having seen so much about Readings promotion and record breaking feats in the national press, I was keen to watch. (I think I'd be classed newbie or plastic these days :wink: )

But really, I knew nothing about Reading, even down to their shirt colours.
So when I arrived on to a sunny Tilehurst End, just after kick-off (not having sussed the Reading buses yet)...I thought Reading were the team in the red...Reading / red (bloody clueless students :roll: )

So when the blues went on to score within the first minute, I was somewhat surprised when the Tilehurst End erupted (if 600 old boys and kids can erupt)

And Reading (then in navy blue shorts and those that awful pale blue shirts with a white vertical strip with the legand ‘Courage’ across the front) took Blackburn to pieces. It was four – nil, though I can't remember much about who got them, though I do seem to remember Bremner and Senior playing. Westwood in goal. I’d be guessing at the rest.

So I was hooked. I hitched to the next game (away at Villa on the Wednesday night where we were beaten 3-1 in the league cup). And have continued to watch ever since....but what a start

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Mar 2008 12:38

Blackburn Rov H W 4-0 Canoville, Senior, Wood, Bremner

royal tunbridge wells

by royal tunbridge wells » 26 Mar 2008 12:42

By the way - crap though they may have been - I still bought one of those shirts. :oops:
It hides in a box in my loft with a number of other shockingly bad Reading shirts I picked up over the years...

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 26 Mar 2008 13:39

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 26 Mar 2008 13:50

I like the caption:
"Les Taylor tussles with balding Irish international Noel Brotherston"

Perhaps Thou Voice should change his nickname of choice to differentiate between the two?

Leamington Royal

by Leamington Royal » 26 Mar 2008 13:52

I remember the game, but not much by way of detail. The reason it sticks in the memory was that Blackburn was so poor. They just didn't want to know. I think they had a lot of formerly good players who didn't think they should be playing at that level.

Having said that, that was a pretty strong Reading line up by 1980's standards. I threw my shirt away when we moved house - have regretted doing so ever since.

Salford Royal

by Salford Royal » 26 Mar 2008 13:53

royal tunbridge wells By the way - crap though they may have been - I still bought one of those shirts. :oops:
It hides in a box in my loft with a number of other shockingly bad Reading shirts I picked up over the years...

You could make a nice sum of money for that shirt.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Mar 2008 13:53

That was Canoville's finest performance in a Reading shirt. He scored the first quite early IIRC. Shame that about two months later he got that terrible knee injury at Sunderland that virtually ended his career.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 26 Mar 2008 14:01

I missed that match. It was very strange, on one hand being pleased that we'd won so well, tempered with being really annoyed that I couldn't go. It's kind of like when Reading score when you've had to dash out the back for a slash, or you've had that "we're never going to score - I might as well nip out early and get that hot dog" idea, and we score. You hear everyone cheering, but rather than being pleased you just go "oh bugger!"

It is worth remembering that Blackburn's support was really poor (in both senses) back then, and Reading were probably the richer club.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 26 Mar 2008 14:22

Unfortunately I wasn't at the game as I was getting married that day. Choosing to go to the church rather than Elm Park is a decision I now regret. But I did have earphones in listening to radio updates throughout the service though.

dennis nelson

by dennis nelson » 26 Mar 2008 14:38

Ark Royal That was Canoville's finest performance in a Reading shirt. He scored the first quite early IIRC. Shame that about two months later he got that terrible knee injury at Sunderland that virtually ended his career.
it didn't virtually end his career, it DID end his career, david swindlehurst was the culprit, and yes, I was at both games, the best I saw canoville play was in a 3-2 win at selhurst park over palace.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Mar 2008 15:20

dennis nelson
Ark Royal That was Canoville's finest performance in a Reading shirt. He scored the first quite early IIRC. Shame that about two months later he got that terrible knee injury at Sunderland that virtually ended his career.
it didn't virtually end his career, it DID end his career, david swindlehurst was the culprit, and yes, I was at both games, the best I saw canoville play was in a 3-2 win at selhurst park over palace.

I met him in the summer of '87 in Spain and the scar from the knee surgery was terrible. Really nice bloke as well. Shame.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 26 Mar 2008 15:22

dennis nelson

That night at Roker still ranks as one of my saddest moments as a Reading fan (sod the relegations - at least you have chance to recover) . Swindlehurst was reckless, thoughtless and totally unrepentant.

As far as Paul's best game for Reading - I'd go for Sheffield United away - almost single handedly turning a 3- 0 drubbing into an unlucky 3 -3 draw. power, grace, skill and vision - the best winger EVER to have played for us in my lifetime (i.e. since the 60's (Yes I did see Jenkins, Gilkes, Cumming, Meaker :o and Hunt :shock: ))