Coppells parking space

1452 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppells parking space

by Ian Royal » 19 May 2008 00:25

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Rax
PlasticRoyale Would Royalee love a bit of cock? I'm starting to form that opinion.

Why indeed, I think you may be right!

I don't think so.

I, along with a cool 94% of us disagree massively with what he says *about this issue*, but that doesn't make the guy a "cock", just someone who happens to disagree with us on *this issue*. Otherwise a well respected member here pretty much I think.

LOL that one statment doesn't make him a cock.. combine it with everything else he twitters on about though and you get a fairly good picture of the guy.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 May 2008 01:31

2 world wars, 1 world cup Otherwise a well respected member here pretty much I think.

:shock:

:lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 May 2008 10:04

Fat Leather Jacket So Coppell is not held in high regard by Palace support then?

rhroyal So you're saying Coppell's record at Crystal Palace undermines his credentials to manage a club like Reading and take us back up? Say that on a Crystal Palace board and wait for the response, Palace fans would be outraged.

To be fair, if you do go and look at the Palace message board you'll see they respect Coppell for the way he got them promoted by they recognise that we didn't do a lot to prevent their relegation too (find the link that Platypuss posted last week).

Their total lack of surprise at recent events here and quotes to come out of Coppell about not being able to change the side is quite interesting. Our faliure pretty much mirrors theirs.

He's respected here and at Palace, but that doesn't mean he isn't at fault for our relegation and probably (in my opinion) isn't best places to make the changes necessary to give us the best chance of challenging again.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 May 2008 10:25

Royalee
brendywendy LOL

nob

why instantly pick on one in a long list of possible reasons
for the delayed announcement
then pounce on it as if ive said something truly heinous?

ive never said once that the lack of spending was anything other than coppells decision-hes said so himself a million times, i dont know why you would choose a quote from downes to back up an argument where coppells own words would surely have been better.
and unfortunately that issue is totally different from changing the wage structure

funny, i bet you werent arguinbg that coppell was so crap after 106 points anbd 8th place in the prem were you- oh silly me, you probably were

I argued he was crap the season before when we underachieved. Fortunately he was made to make forced changes due to the contract situations of many and the fact that Norwich were stupid enough to offer £500k for his lovechild Hughes. Fair play, he got decisions right in the summer of 2005, but those are the only decisions he's got right during his 4 and a half year reign as manager, which worries me somewhat. If you take that summer away, pretty much every decision he's made has been poor...and then you add that to what happened to him at Palace and Man City and you begin to doubt his managerial expertise when it comes to 'being the only person who can take us back up and establish us in the Premiership' and all the other totally unfounded bullshit people are coming out with.

thanks for replying to the last point of my post! lol
any chance of a reply to the other bits?where you were wrong?

and LOL at your response"the summer of 2005 being the only bit where coppell got any decisions right" i was wavering before, but now i know you are clueless, and for that reason i am out.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 May 2008 10:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Rax
PlasticRoyale Would Royalee love a bit of cock? I'm starting to form that opinion.

Why indeed, I think you may be right!

I don't think so.

I, along with a cool 94% of us disagree massively with what he says *about this issue*, but that doesn't make the guy a "cock", just someone who happens to disagree with us on *this issue*. Otherwise a well respected member here pretty much I think.

he a member alright!

he gets feck all respect from me, his opinions espoused as facts are sometimes daft
and he bandies insults around far too freely.
he also has the biggest ego on this board

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 May 2008 10:30

Hoop Blah
Fat Leather Jacket So Coppell is not held in high regard by Palace support then?

rhroyal So you're saying Coppell's record at Crystal Palace undermines his credentials to manage a club like Reading and take us back up? Say that on a Crystal Palace board and wait for the response, Palace fans would be outraged.

To be fair, if you do go and look at the Palace message board you'll see they respect Coppell for the way he got them promoted by they recognise that we didn't do a lot to prevent their relegation too (find the link that Platypuss posted last week).

Their total lack of surprise at recent events here and quotes to come out of Coppell about not being able to change the side is quite interesting. Our faliure pretty much mirrors theirs.

He's respected here and at Palace, but that doesn't mean he isn't at fault for our relegation and probably (in my opinion) isn't best places to make the changes necessary to give us the best chance of challenging again.

Absolutley spot on, Hoop Blah.

Coppell has a great record for getting clubs promoted and a totally cr@p one for keeping them there because, he lacks the backbone to drop his favourites who no longer command a place in the team....................and the team he selected at Derby showed that little had changed in this respect on the last day of the season.

Nice to see KD confirm that Coppell was given money but chose not to spend it.

In which case, perhaps it's time to festoon the Chairman's parking space begging him to stay because it sure as hell doesn't look like he was the one who fcuked up........................that was Steve Coppell.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 19 May 2008 11:09

So, are we expecting a statement from Madejski/Hammond/Coppell today? And is it worth running a sweepstake on the timing of it?

I remember when Coppell was appointed and the club sent out the text messgae alerting fans to an upcoming press conference, only for it to be confirmed that Mr Squeaky was going to be the first Director of Football at RFC :|

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 May 2008 11:29

really dont get the delay

how/why has an announcement due for the end of last week, been postponed indefinately, and nothing been said by the club

what are the reason for this?

this was my original point before royallee got all mental on me

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 May 2008 11:34

Talking about Royalee, 2 world wars, 1 world cup Otherwise a well respected member here pretty much I think.

I disagree with that statement. I think you'll find that you are in the minority and that 99% of the HNA membership loathes Royalee.
Last edited by SpaceCruiser on 19 May 2008 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 19 May 2008 11:37

brendywendy really dont get the delay

how/why has an announcement due for the end of last week, been postponed indefinately, and nothing been said by the club

There was an announcement friday.

A decision has been made on who is staying and who is going, and Coppell wasn't on the list. ;)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 May 2008 12:28

The delay in announcing what is going on gets more bizarre by the day.

I think we can be fairly sure that he is staying as there would be little point is delaying an announcement that he is off BUT what can be delaying the announcement that he is staying is hard to fathom.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 May 2008 12:31

Maybe he's gone to Disneyland?

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 19 May 2008 12:32

andrew1957

The delay in announcing what is going on gets more bizarre by the day.

I think we can be fairly sure that he is staying as there would be little point is delaying an announcement that he is off BUT what can be delaying the announcement that he is staying is hard to fathom.

Oddly, I take the opposite view. The longer this drags on the more I'm inclined to think that he's decided his heart's not really in it but wanted the weekend to sleep on it.

One way or the other the club need to clarify matters so we can all move on.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 19 May 2008 12:33

in one of the articles it says he is expected to stay but some points need ironing out, i guess they still have some ironing to do!

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 19 May 2008 12:33

I keep wondering if the delay is because he really doesn't want to stay and is delaying it until the fuss has died down so he can break it to us gently.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 May 2008 12:35

Sarah Star I keep wondering if the delay is because he really doesn't want to stay and is delaying it until the fuss has died down so he can break it to us gently.

No i think he is staying but they are discussing his wages - they wanna half it, i doubt he'll wanna accept that!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 19 May 2008 12:37

papereyes Maybe he's gone to Disneyland?

He's certainly taking the Mickey.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 19 May 2008 12:38

Someone told me they'd heard on 210fm last Friday that he'd gone on holiday for two weeks. Seemed an odd thing to do if he was in negotiations, but tbf I have no idea what's going on. It's just frustrating.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 May 2008 12:40

TBM
Sarah Star I keep wondering if the delay is because he really doesn't want to stay and is delaying it until the fuss has died down so he can break it to us gently.

No i think he is staying but they are discussing his wages - they wanna half it, i doubt he'll wanna accept that!

I really hope you are wrong - would be very sad if he leaves over money.

It would seem fair to me that he did only receive 50% of PL pay as he must take some of the blame for last season and £600K or so a year for a Championship manger would seem more than fair to me.

I am not sure he would be offered a PL job next season having just suffered a relegation.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 19 May 2008 12:41

I expect that Coppell gave himself a date prior to which he wouldn't make any firm decision, so that his decision-making wouldn't be clouded by the emotion of relegation/the last day or, as it turned out, the fans' appeal.

That would fit in with what he said immediately prior to the Derby game and also following the fans' appeal.

Perhaps the relevant date is at the end of the season, i.e. after the Champions League final, or at the end of the month.

1452 posts