Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

180 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

by Alan Partridge » 14 May 2008 22:24

RTFC Drummer - The worst poster on the internet, on any forum anywhere in the world. A fine effort.

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 14 May 2008 22:31

Alan Partridge RTFC Drummer - The worst poster on the internet, on any forum anywhere in the world. A fine effort.

ITS TRUE WHAT I SAY AND SIMPLY A FACT YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH :D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2008 22:31

Ups and Downs OK, just to clarify; a plastic in this case is someone who only joined up during the latter half of our promotion winning season. A typical plastic is the sort of person who shuffles nervously in their seat and thinks to themselves "At home listening to the radio." when oppostition fans sing "Where were you when you were shit?"

Ordinarily you would also be a plastic if you were over the age of 14 (the age at which it is still just about acceptable to support an unrelated Premiership club) and didn't support the club when they were in the lower leagues, only coming along occasionally when they made it into the Championship, but the rules have been relaxed here.

Poo I was 14 and 2ish months for my first ever game :oops: :cry: :cry:

Unless you count when I started getting really interested without seeing a game, in which case it was just before McGhee left. Then I would have been 13.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 May 2008 22:32

RTFC Drummer
Alan Partridge RTFC Drummer - The worst poster on the internet, on any forum anywhere in the world. A fine effort.

You are 1 of 2 things.

1) A very fine fisherman, showing fishing skills beyond your young age

Or more likely

2) an absolute fcuking retard

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 14 May 2008 22:37

"In a crowded field, one man stood head and shoulders above his peers..."

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 May 2008 22:40

Ups and Downs
brendywendy
Anyone else whose under any doubts of their plasticity want to be judged?

yes, judge me , judge me!

i used to go with my mates to elm park for a few years about 5 games a year, finally culminating in the final season there where i went the majority of the home games and the odd away game

my mates stopped going soon after but in the intervening seasons at the madstad i continued to plough a lonely furrow on my own in the east stand-going to between 5-15 games every year

i felt compelled to buy a 1/2 ST in the championship season, as it was no longer going to be possible to walk up on the day and get a seat due to all the plastics

OK, going to the most of the games in the last season at Elm Park works in your favour. We were utterly dump that year and got relegated. But 5-15 games a year in the following seasons is a bit suspect. However, i don't buy into the glory hunting accuisations because we were f*cking dump then as well, so: NOT PLASTIC

I wouldn't mind being judged.

1st Game: Wembley PO Final age 14, previous history of supporting which ever club I fancied at the start of the season. Usually Liverpool or Spurs.
Been to at least 3 games every season since 95/96, despite going to uni in Exeter, living in Exeter for another year and moving to Cambridge 3 years ago. Most games in a season ~16-20. Only been to single figures away games. Managed a total of 9 in the premier League 6 this and 3 last.

I reckon theres a case for plastic to start with, but probably not now. Even if I don't make many games. You can usually find me in th eHNA chat room for matches though.

PS welcome all plastics, soon you'll be lead along with the likes of Schards, GC & Mrs B.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 May 2008 22:57

not plastic Ian, but not fully committed, cant see you moving to another club si I reckon you are ok.

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 14 May 2008 23:53

What a great topic to have on the website are you plastic!! A number of fans of other clubs are pleased to see us relegated due to having plastic fans and what do we do but have a message board asking people if they are plastic how wonderful. I am sure fans from other clubs will read this and laugh theirs heads off!!! Now that we are relegated if we did have plastic fans they can get lost and return to doing what ever they were doing before. Support the club through thick and thin and not because we were winning championships and being promoted.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 07:30

If we get relegated to League 1, how many fan's do you think we'll have left? :P

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 May 2008 07:34

kwik-silva If we get relegated to League 1, how many fan's do you think we'll have left? :P

All the non-Plastics

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 07:37

Franchise FC
kwik-silva If we get relegated to League 1, how many fan's do you think we'll have left? :P

All the non-Plastics

Anyone like to estimate how much of RFC's current ffan base that is?

RTFC Drummer

by RTFC Drummer » 15 May 2008 07:52

Only about 10,000 or could be less depending on how much ticket prices.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 May 2008 08:17

Alan Partridge
RTFC Drummer

You are 1 of 2 things.

1) A very fine fisherman, showing fishing skills beyond your young age

Or more likely

2) an absolute fcuking retard

although the answer is undoubtedly 2), there are half a dozen posters worse than him.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 May 2008 09:53

Cripple Creek Been a Reading fan for 35 years and if I did not live in Oz would go and watch them just as enthusiastically in the Championship as I would have anywhere else (I left the UK about two weeks before the Premiership started and have never seen a prem match in my life). I just love the team and that's my thing but I have no problem with fans who choose not to stick around - it's a personal thing, live and let live and all that.
In fact, I find people who have a hang up about so-called "plastics" far more irritating in their pomposity than people who started supporting the club once they fancied the idea of watching Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal etc.
People who slag off "plastics" sound like the proverbial Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen IMHO.

Luxury.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 May 2008 10:00

Ups and Downs Ha ha! I took my daughter to 6 or 7 games last year and we lost every single one of them. It started as a bit of a joke to begin with but towards the end of the season I was in two minds to take her to the Fulham and Spurs games. I did though and we lost. I blame her too.

i dont, i blame you
you still took her
even though you were aware of the unluck she was causing

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 15 May 2008 10:07

RichieBowman What a great topic to have on the website are you plastic!! A number of fans of other clubs are pleased to see us relegated due to having plastic fans and what do we do but have a message board asking people if they are plastic how wonderful. I am sure fans from other clubs will read this and laugh theirs heads off!!! Now that we are relegated if we did have plastic fans they can get lost and return to doing what ever they were doing before. Support the club through thick and thin and not because we were winning championships and being promoted.

Oh lighten up! Who gives a shit what other fans think of us? Not me, that's for sure. And if anything, i started this thread with my tongue firmly in my cheek. There can be no denying that Reading picked up am extra few thousand fans enroute to the Premiership, but thick w@nker away fans were happy to lump us all under one big plastic banner. I've been on some other football forums and it seems that those who do this completely cannot comprehend that this club had any fans before Christmas 2005, so f*ck them!

If those people that did only start watching Reading when we got to the Premiership keep watching next year then it'll be one in the eye for those narrow minded tw@ts.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 May 2008 10:19

RTFC Drummer
Royalshow
RTFC Drummer I f you sit in the West, South, middle and corner of north east stand, and the left side of North Stand then you are a PLASTIC FAN.

Thats a nice sweeping generalization by a 'gibbon' that obviously doesn't know a thing about football or being a 'proper supporter'.Having a ghey drum does not make you a "proper fan" nor will it bring you any respect from the rest of the football community.Drums do not equal atmosphere and the sooner you realize that the better.Not everyone that sings at away games sits in y25 btw and its not the holy grail you make it out to be.I'm sure there is quite a spread around the ground,but due to the people they sit with they do not always express themselves as vocally as others.I'm sure some people in the west have had a season ticket since the mad stad opened,but in your eyes that plastic?Fair enough you are not a glory hunter though :wink:

Drums at football are GAY

In response to your comment I know a lot about football as I played for many clubs for example Theale Tigers, Prospect Colts, Churchend Rovers and one game for Reading Youth. I played in goal for both Prospect, Churchend and the one game for Reading Youth and then changed to play on pitch up front for prospect, midfield/striker for Theale and defender for Rovers. When did I say a drum makes you a proper fan? Well never so shhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get respect from the players so your wrong again ha ha. Drums do not equal the atmospher but it helps to create one and gets everyone singing to the beat. Its probably the North and East stand fans who go to away games. I believe when you go and see a footy games you should show the passion and desire to get behind the team and not sit down having a picinic (West Stand). If you are just going to sit down and not sing you might aswell watch the game on the internet, on TV or listen to it on the radio. You need to chant and sing like pompey fans as when visiting teams go there they now they are in for a battle as the crowd never stop chanting.

PS To many plastics at Reading and not enough chanting no matter what the score is.

and the award for the biggest nob on hob nob goes to.......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 May 2008 10:23

at some point all of us didnt support reading, then we went to a game or two, and became hooked, and over the years the club takes a bigger slice of your time/thoughts etc

at some point everyone was plastic

the test is, not when they joined, or how many games they have seen
but if they stay through the bad times

im sure a proportion of the extra fans we have accumulated over the last three years will stay and become rock solid royals-our fan base cannot have failed to grow over this time

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 15 May 2008 10:55

RTFC Drummer
In response to your comment I know a lot about football as I played for many clubs for example Theale Tigers, Prospect Colts, Churchend Rovers and one game for Reading Youth. I played in goal for both Prospect, Churchend and the one game for Reading Youth and then changed to play on pitch up front for prospect, midfield/striker for Theale and defender for Rovers. When did I say a drum makes you a proper fan? Well never so shhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get respect from the players so your wrong again ha ha. Drums do not equal the atmospher but it helps to create one and gets everyone singing to the beat. Its probably the North and East stand fans who go to away games. I believe when you go and see a footy games you should show the passion and desire to get behind the team and not sit down having a picinic (West Stand). If you are just going to sit down and not sing you might aswell watch the game on the internet, on TV or listen to it on the radio. You need to chant and sing like pompey fans as when visiting teams go there they now they are in for a battle as the crowd never stop chanting.

PS To many plastics at Reading and not enough chanting no matter what the score is.

Great post RTFC, shame its lost on this rabble.
There is absolutely no point in going to the football if you don't enjoy and want to be part of the atmosphere.
The west stand are poor, most consume more prawn sandwiches a game than reading score goals in a season.
In defense of RFC fans though, we have a horrible soul-less ground and over-zealous stewards that kill any attempts at atmosphere, its not easy to get anything going in such a hollow spineless ground.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 15 May 2008 11:06

If you think the West stand need drumming up, maybe you should go and sit with them and drum.

180 posts