Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

180 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Time to admit it: Were you a plastic?

by Uke » 15 May 2008 11:27

When I started there were no plastic fans, we had Bakelite ones instead

(two matches in the 70's, then started 'proper' after Chalky White's testimonial)
Last edited by Uke on 15 May 2008 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

Sponge Bob Square Pants

by Sponge Bob Square Pants » 15 May 2008 11:32

Sort of; I really support someone else but my boys support Reading so I take them to watch games. So now I follow two teams but only go to Reading - I think that makes me a Saint (especially after the Fulham game).

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 15 May 2008 11:37

^ DEFINITE PLASTIC ^

Sponge Bob Square Pants

by Sponge Bob Square Pants » 15 May 2008 11:42

Guilty, but we'll go and see them in the Championship and we've been going since 2000ish. First game Millwall winning 4-3 with a Neil Harris hat trick and boy were Reading woeful and I still go to see them. Again Sainthood still beckons for me.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 15 May 2008 11:46

Sponge Bob Square Pants Guilty, but we'll go and see them in the Championship and we've been going since 2000ish. First game Millwall winning 4-3 with a Neil Harris hat trick and boy were Reading woeful and I still go to see them. Again Sainthood still beckons for me.

Your boys are alright though, if it makes you feel better.

Sponge Bob Square Pants

by Sponge Bob Square Pants » 15 May 2008 12:01

Thanks, they'll be thrilled.

Saint Bob of Reading has a ring to it.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 15 May 2008 12:01

Went to my first Reading game about 12 years ago when i was 10 against Swindon. Then jumped on the bandwagon in 95 for the playoff final and my dad took me Wembley. Started going to a few games in the seasons after that when my mum or dad could take me.

Then when we moved the the Mad Stad my interest with Reading had sort of faded out. The first game i went to at the Mad Stad was against Grays Athlectic in the 2nd round of the F.A Cup and that finally got me hooked again. The season after that i got a season ticket and then of course we won promotion that season to the First division, so renewed again. But after that i was starting work, which meant i had to work on Saturdays, so had to give my season ticket up. Then the season after the Playoff semi final against Wolves, the club introduced the royalty points scheme, which has messed me up ever since as i could hardly get to any games to get the required points.

Iv only been to 6 premier league games in the past two seasons and only one of them has been bought on my membership card, the other ones have been through people lending me thier season ticket or getting me an away ticket on their card. But now i don't work weekends so am hoping to actually get a season ticket again, now that it should be easier to get hold of one.

So the moral of the story is i could be seen as a plastic, but whatever division this club is in, i will be supporting them no matter what.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 15 May 2008 12:29

urz_1871 Went to my first Reading game about 12 years ago when i was 10 against Swindon. Then jumped on the bandwagon in 95 for the playoff final and my dad took me Wembley. Started going to a few games in the seasons after that when my mum or dad could take me.

Then when we moved the the Mad Stad my interest with Reading had sort of faded out. The first game i went to at the Mad Stad was against Grays Athlectic in the 2nd round of the F.A Cup and that finally got me hooked again. The season after that i got a season ticket and then of course we won promotion that season to the First division, so renewed again. But after that i was starting work, which meant i had to work on Saturdays, so had to give my season ticket up. Then the season after the Playoff semi final against Wolves, the club introduced the royalty points scheme, which has messed me up ever since as i could hardly get to any games to get the required points.

Iv only been to 6 premier league games in the past two seasons and only one of them has been bought on my membership card, the other ones have been through people lending me thier season ticket or getting me an away ticket on their card. But now i don't work weekends so am hoping to actually get a season ticket again, now that it should be easier to get hold of one.

So the moral of the story is i could be seen as a plastic, but whatever division this club is in, i will be supporting them no matter what.

Ooooo! You state your first game was 12 years ago and then you got on the playoff final bandwagon. Unfortunately, the playoff final was 13 years, so the fact you've got your facts wrong would indicate your a plastic who's trying to hard. :wink:

However, not being able to attend games, but wanting to, for a good reason = NOT PLASTIC

Kes

by Kes » 15 May 2008 12:34

Most Reading fans weren't that upset on Sunday because their other team won the title.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 May 2008 12:36

Kes Most Reading fans weren't that upset on Sunday because their other team won the title.

bit of a double whammy for yourself m8, finishing 2nd and your other team getting relegated. Any tears shed?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 15 May 2008 12:37

My first game was the City cup game in '93, having drawn 1-1 at Maine Road. To be honest, it was the first time I was aware that Reading had a football club. As my family are Scouse, I'd ben a Liverpool fan up until that point. Struggled with the whole "two teams" thing until I realised - during a 4-2 cup defeat by Chelsea - that I actually didn't give a shit about Liverpool.

It doesn't matter at what level your team plays, nothing beats watching a team live week in week out, home (and away if you can afford it). Of course, it helped that it only cost schoolkids (and students) a fiver to get into Elm Park.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 15 May 2008 12:54

Been a Reading fan for 16 years.....Reading 'til i die me!....i only managed to peel my Royals shirt off today, as have been wearing em proudly all week!!

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 15 May 2008 13:01

Ups and Downs
urz_1871 Went to my first Reading game about 12 years ago when i was 10 against Swindon. Then jumped on the bandwagon in 95 for the playoff final and my dad took me Wembley. Started going to a few games in the seasons after that when my mum or dad could take me.

Ooooo! You state your first game was 12 years ago and then you got on the playoff final bandwagon. Unfortunately, the playoff final was 13 years, so the fact you've got your facts wrong would indicate your a plastic who's trying to hard. :wink:

However, not being able to attend games, but wanting to, for a good reason = NOT PLASTIC

Whoops :oops: That's what you get for not thinking before posting. I will have do some some research as to which season we beat Swindon and how old i was, i swear it was before the Playoff final though. IIRC i think it was 3-0 to the Royals.

Edit: Sorry have just looked up the results on the previous results section and my first game was at home to Swindon on the 1st of April 1995 and it was 3-0. Which means i was 9, i actually thought i was 10 for some reason. Next time i will get my facts together before posting.

chandog

by chandog » 15 May 2008 17:30

Been going to see reading play since 2000 ish when i was 9
Only properly started supporting them during the promotion season
Been to watch quite a few games over the past 3 years and loved it (most of the time)
Getting a season ticket next year.
I guess i am pretty plastic but am going to carry on supporting the royals whatever division they are in

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 May 2008 18:36

My first game was game 1 at the mad stad.. I still remember all the balloons going into the air! We beat luton 3-0 I think.. (then 4-1 the season after.. and 4-0 the season after that)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 May 2008 10:54

kwik-silva My first game was game 1 at the mad stad.. I still remember all the balloons going into the air! We beat luton 3-0 I think.. (then 4-1 the season after.. and 4-0 the season after that)

Sadly (because of the guaranteed cricket score) or happily (because we're still two divisions above them), we've got a bit more falling to do before we can play Luton again in the league

SirGarth

by SirGarth » 18 May 2008 12:41

January 1969 at home to Southport...plastic hadnt been invented then!!!!

TheRealRoyal

by TheRealRoyal » 24 May 2008 13:51

Ups and Downs
Sponge Bob Square Pants Guilty, but we'll go and see them in the Championship and we've been going since 2000ish. First game Millwall winning 4-3 with a Neil Harris hat trick and boy were Reading woeful and I still go to see them. Again Sainthood still beckons for me.

Your boys are alright though, if it makes you feel better.

Yey im not a plastic

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 24 May 2008 15:38

I've been a plastic since 1965. Good ain't it?

Royalshow

by Royalshow » 24 May 2008 21:45

chandog Been going to see reading play since 2000 ish when i was 9
Only properly started supporting them during the promotion season
Been to watch quite a few games over the past 3 years and loved it (most of the time)
Getting a season ticket next year.
I guess i am pretty plastic but am going to carry on supporting the royals whatever division they are in

And your dad was at the Simod cup fianl :wink: B18 is where its at :lol:

180 posts