Coppells a waste of space

106 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Coppells a waste of space

by floyd__streete » 13 May 2008 19:23

.....of course he clearly isn't, but this thread header is no more OTT than some of the sentimentalist pap written on another thread.

The manager who took us out of the primordial soup of the lower leagues for the first time ever is clearly the best manager in Reading FC history, but everyone has their shelf-life. I would have no problem whatsoever with Coppell remaining at the helm if he had been bullish about correcting the mistakes of this past year and promised promotion or bust next season. Instead we have had vague hints of his desire for a break - a break he has absolutely earned - for the past few months and an (at best) non-committal approach towards the future. For those of you who blame Madejski for the problems and the abject failure of the season just past, then surely that is proof that Coppell cannot take us forward if he is somehow content to be Madejski's patsy.

If his heart is not 100% in it, then Steve Coppell really should not be the Reading manager next season, and no amount of banners and placards should change that.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 13 May 2008 19:42, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppells a waste of space

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2008 19:24

He won't stay if his heart isn't in it Floyd.

Showing our support may just convince him that his heart still is in it and that he wouldn't be doing the right thing just to walk away to give someone else a chance.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 May 2008 19:28

Your'e a brave man putting your head above the parapet in the current climate.
Personally I dont have a problem with people showing the manager how much they care but I suspect it wont change Coppell's decision.
The odd thing about Coppell before the Derby game was that he appeared so much more upbeat and it was reflected in the teams performance. I would like to see this more positive side of him as sometimes he seems so downbeat.
I hope he stays but yes he has to have the heart to want to do it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 May 2008 19:28

Ian Royal Showing our support may just convince him that his heart still is in it

If his heart is still in it then he won't need 'convincing' by anyone. If he is convinced (by Madejski and Hammond rather than the placard wavers, I fancy) to remain as boss and then quits in 6 months time I shall not be impressed in the least. If he wants to go, then the time to go is now.

This, by the way, is not intended as a dig at anyone who has given up his/her spare time tonight. I commend your devotion and your loyalty.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 May 2008 19:52

I can see what floyd is saying but it would be a tragedy if Coppell jacked it because he felt he'd let the fan down and they didn't want him anymore.

I suspect if we got on a roll and were winning week in week out, he'd find the job less tiring than stretching every sinew every week to get any result in the prem.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 May 2008 20:00

I want him to stay but equally if he is determined to go the quicker the better. If he goes we need to get a good replacement manager in as soon as possible (not a four week + selection process) so that he can get to work quickly, persuading our key players to stay for at least the next season and give it a very real shot at an immediate return.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 May 2008 20:03

Spot on as usual floyd.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 May 2008 21:03

When coping with failure (as all great achievers do many times during their lifetime) even great people need great support to reignite the belief that they can achieve great things again.

It doesn't always all come from within; a spontaneous show of support and belief such as this evening's might well have a hugely positive impact on Coppell's own desire to carry on. He is a human being who cannot fail to have been affected in some way by the show of support. The fact that he was already going to think about it rather than make a snap decision is positive in itself and this will have reached his core, you can be sure of that.

If deep down he doesn't believe he is capable of righting the wrongs of the last season because he lacks a hard edge these days then fair enough, he should go with our blessings, but I doubt that is the case.

We shall see.

Cookie

by Cookie » 13 May 2008 21:25

I'm not sure he ever had the heart to do what was necessary when the team went into a slump after Christmas. Eight defeats. Just one point from that 24 would have done it in the end. He has a loyalty to his players that borders on sentimentality.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 May 2008 21:27

And I think he learned a tough and valuable lesson from that course of action, personally.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 May 2008 21:30

floyd__streete If his heart is not 100% in it, then Steve Coppell really should not be the Reading manager next season, and no amount of banners and placards should change that.

I agree. If he stays it should be because he wants to stay, not because he feels pressured into staying.

On the other hand, if he feels he's let everyone down, he needs to know there are far more supporters of him than detractors.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 May 2008 21:30

Royal Lady And I think he learned a tough and valuable lesson from that course of action, personally.

And when an intelligent man learns a lesson, the first thing he wants to do is apply the knowledge gained.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 21:35

Royal Rother When coping with failure (as all great achievers do many times during their lifetime) even great people need great support to reignite the belief that they can achieve great things again.

It doesn't always all come from within; a spontaneous show of support and belief such as this evening's might well have a hugely positive impact on Coppell's own desire to carry on. He is a human being who cannot fail to have been affected in some way by the show of support. The fact that he was already going to think about it rather than make a snap decision is positive in itself and this will have reached his core, you can be sure of that.

If deep down he doesn't believe he is capable of righting the wrongs of the last season because he lacks a hard edge these days then fair enough, he should go with our blessings, but I doubt that is the case.

We shall see.

that just about sums it up for me

nice 1 RR

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 13 May 2008 21:39

Royal Rother
Royal Lady And I think he learned a tough and valuable lesson from that course of action, personally.

And when an intelligent man learns a lesson, the first thing he wants to do is apply the knowledge gained.

in the same place as he made the original mistakes? I can see him taking a year out and having another crack at it elsewhere really.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 May 2008 21:41

Oh well. If he goes, he goes, but at least we showed him how we feel about him. And whatever he decides to do, he'll always hold a place in RFC history and he's still a legend and the best manager we've ever had.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 21:42

Royal Lady Oh well. If he goes, he goes, but at least we showed him how we feel about him. And whatever he decides to do, he'll always hold a place in RFC history and he's still a legend and the best manager we've ever had.

and i love his little baldy head

philM

by philM » 13 May 2008 21:44

floyd__streete .....of course he clearly isn't, but this thread header is no more OTT than some of the sentimentalist pap written on another thread.
If his heart is not 100% in it, then Steve Coppell really should not be the Reading manager next season, and no amount of banners and placards should change that.

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of tonight, for me anyway. All tonight was about was trying to say that we still want him as our manager if he wants to stay. If he felt the fans were against him then it could well be a factor in a decision to leave, and it was important to me to say that I wanted him to stay. Chances are it will indeed be irrelevant. And I think he probably knew how we felt within seconds of the Derby game ending.

If everything was reversed and there were demonstrations against SC than I could understand that affecting his decision. Why shouldn't it work the other way round?
Last edited by philM on 13 May 2008 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 May 2008 21:48

dont think hes the type to be overly swayed by public opinion anyway
very much his own man

but if he leaves at least knowing tht we are proud of him and what hes done, and if any of that was because of tonight, then thats feckin great

just didnt want him going thinking hed let me down, cos i dont think he has
its ghey i know, so shoot me

Fezza

by Fezza » 13 May 2008 22:02

As far as I am conderned SC was a great manager until 9 months ago. The last season has been an absolute disaster (on par with Keegans Newcastle throwing away the title to Man Utd all those years ago). Whilst SC should be applauded for all he had achieved in the past he has been dire this term. As such, had we stayed up, I'd have been calling for his head. I guess some people will always look at the past and remember how good it used to be, some won't.

philM

by philM » 13 May 2008 22:18

Fezza As far as I am conderned SC was a great manager until 9 months ago. The last season has been an absolute disaster (on par with Keegans Newcastle throwing away the title to Man Utd all those years ago). Whilst SC should be applauded for all he had achieved in the past he has been dire this term. As such, had we stayed up, I'd have been calling for his head. I guess some people will always look at the past and remember how good it used to be, some won't.

It's not just about how good the past was, it's whether you believe that SC can learn from the mistakes that have been made and do it better next time. Everbody makes lots of mistakes, all through their lives. That's how we all get better at anything. It was SCs first try in today's Prem, I think he's very capable of improvement..

106 posts