Player Value versus "Worth"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Player Value versus "Worth"

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2008 19:52

I at least understand where they are coming from, even if they are totally wrong. I still believe Harper is most effective in a midfield 3.

We do need to make sure this year that we have quality throughout the team, rather than in most places with a couple of gaps. Less quality is acceptable of course, we are in a different league now. We also need to have squad players good enough to slot straight in. It happened in our first prem season. But last season we just didn't have anyone left in any sort of form/with quality.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 06 Jul 2008 20:39

The only player I'd be upset to see leave for under £3 million would be Lita.......he is gonna be worth more than that in the future.I can't see Kits staying fit long enough to be worth over £5 million in the future. Anybody gives us over £1 mill for Shorey/Harper and especially Hunt...I'd bite their bl**dy hands off!!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 06 Jul 2008 20:54

Ian Royal I at least understand where they are coming from, even if they are totally wrong. I still believe Harper is most effective in a midfield 3.

We do need to make sure this year that we have quality throughout the team, rather than in most places with a couple of gaps. Less quality is acceptable of course, we are in a different league now. We also need to have squad players good enough to slot straight in. It happened in our first prem season. But last season we just didn't have anyone left in any sort of form/with quality.

I agree with you about Harper - he probably would be better in a midfield three. I think the fact that we had Sidwell + two good wingers took a lot of pressure off him in the first season in the prem.

Would still like to see him here next year but if he goes I'm not going to cry about it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jul 2008 21:47

Kitsondinho The only player I'd be upset to see leave for under £3 million would be Lita.......he is gonna be worth more than that in the future.I can't see Kits staying fit long enough to be worth over £5 million in the future. Anybody gives us over £1 mill for Shorey/Harper and especially Hunt...I'd bite their bl**dy hands off!!

Thank Christ Hammond and Coppell are in charge and not you.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Jul 2008 00:02

Ian Royal To be honest I'm of the opinion we should get rid of Shorey no matter what. He's extremely talented, but the time has come to move on. I only see him as being a disruptive influence from now on. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I'd hope for £4-5m but take £2m or maybe even £1.5m if nothing else was forthcoming.

Doyle, Kitson and Harper would be players I'd want to keep, so make clubs pay through the nose to get.

Lita, Sonko & Hunt I'd just want something reasonable to boost the kitty. Happy to keep if no decent offers made.

In my opinion we definitely need a left back, a right winger and a central midfielder. The only player above I don't think we'd really need to replace should they go is Sonko. Otherwise we'd need to bring in extra on top of those 3 positions for every one of those players who goes.

With the exception of Shorey who in my opinion may as well be gone already

Thank Christ Hammond and Coppell are in charge and not you.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 07 Jul 2008 09:57

Forbury Lion With Shorey, Would the team be better off selling him for £3m now and spending £3m on a replacement now or keeping him this season and having to replace him with £3m less in the kitty.

I'm for selling him now, break a replacement in at Championship level first.

Maybe the reality of the situation will force Shorey’s hand. Two months have gone since the end of the season. He, more than anyone, will realise he didn’t perform last season. He’s out of the England equation, wages have been slashed and there’s been no concrete offers to match the pretty flimsy transfer rumours. He, out of all our ‘big names’, seems to have generated the least interest from other clubs.

What’s he got, one year left on his contract? Perhaps he’ll opt for the Sidwell route. Pull his socks up, knuckle down and contribute fully to a promotion challenge. 12 months down the line, he may be back in Capello’s radar, attracting genuine Premier interest and able to pick his next club and wage increase at will.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Jul 2008 10:37

Whore Jackie
Forbury Lion With Shorey, Would the team be better off selling him for £3m now and spending £3m on a replacement now or keeping him this season and having to replace him with £3m less in the kitty.

I'm for selling him now, break a replacement in at Championship level first.

Maybe the reality of the situation will force Shorey’s hand. Two months have gone since the end of the season. He, more than anyone, will realise he didn’t perform last season. He’s out of the England equation, wages have been slashed and there’s been no concrete offers to match the pretty flimsy transfer rumours. He, out of all our ‘big names’, seems to have generated the least interest from other clubs.

What’s he got, one year left on his contract? Perhaps he’ll opt for the Sidwell route. Pull his socks up, knuckle down and contribute fully to a promotion challenge. 12 months down the line, he may be back in Capello’s radar, attracting genuine Premier interest and able to pick his next club and wage increase at will.

That sounds like a best possible scenario really for Shorey and the club.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jul 2008 10:46

I can't see Shorey getting back on the England scene playing in the Championship when there are plenty of half decent English left backs to line up behind Ashely Cole.

I can't see him staying and I'm sure he probably knows that there are a couple of clubs ready to take him away once the whole transfer market kicks off.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jul 2008 13:21

rhroyal I don't quite understand value either. Even with the respective contract periods remaining I can't see how Hunt could ever be worth £2mill more than Shorey when Shorey can defend, cross, pass and shoot whilst Hunt can run.
Might have something to do with the fact Sunderland are interested in him and they offered a similar amount, probably too much like with Halford.

Because Shorey's contract is up at the end of the season Reading FC will be more likely to sell him for what is offered, hence why the proposed bids are lower. Hunt on the other hand is under a longer term contract so we don't have to sell him and for that reason buying clubs have to tempt us with a more attractive deal.

Think of the club as a corner shop, they have fruit that has to be sold today otherwise it gets thrown in the bin. If the customers know this and want the fruit they may offer a low price for it and the shop keeper may decide that low price is better than nothing..... but if it were tinned food with many months on the best before date he could tell them to get lost as he knows he has plenty of time to attract a buyer at the right price.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 07 Jul 2008 13:24

Forbury Lion
Think of the club as a corner shop, they have fruit that has to be sold today otherwise it gets thrown in the bin. If the customers know this and want the fruit they may offer a low price for it and the shop keeper may decide that low price is better than nothing..... but if it were tinned food with many months on the best before date he could tell them to get lost as he knows he has plenty of time to attract a buyer at the right price.

Although of course if the shopkeeper spots that the customer is actually starving, or is throwing a massive dinner party and is missing a vital ingredient without which the pudding will be a disaster he can ask a higher price, even if the goods are at or near their sell by date.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Jul 2008 13:27

Roger the Rabbit
Forbury Lion

Although of course if the shopkeeper spots that the customer is actually starving, or is throwing a massive dinner party and is missing a vital ingredient without which the pudding will be a disaster he can ask a higher price, even if the goods are at or near their sell by date.
Presumably there are no other shops selling similar produce at a more reasonable price?

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 07 Jul 2008 13:31

Forbury Lion
Roger the Rabbit
Forbury Lion

Presumably there are no other shops selling similar produce at a more reasonable price?

I'm assuming not...
But on the assumption that any other shop within feasible travelling distance for a starving man would be selling at around the manufacturers recommended price then maybe he could have afforded to stick out for his original price in the first place rather than having to accept a lower offer ?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Jul 2008 13:41

but i bet there arent many shops within a plane ride who are selling a quality left back-with prem and england experience.
and if they are they are selling them at a much inflated price compared to our nicky

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 07 Jul 2008 18:33

Many on here are glibly saying that they will be quite happy to see the back of Kits for £3M or so and Doyle for 5M or so but I would urge you to think about things for a minute.

Take the example of Beattie at Sheff Unt. In the two PL campaigns with Everton before he dropped down to the Championship, he scored 11 goals in 38 starts followed by 2 goals in 35 games in 2006/7. Last season he scored 22 goals and is now at the age of 30 being quoted with an 8 Million price tag - although I cannot see any PL club mad enough to pay that for a 30 year old.

In the case of our players both Kits (despite being injured in 2006/7) and Doyle scored as many PL goals in the last two seasons and will I have no doubt score in excess of 20 each for us if they keep fit next season.

What this shows is the huge gulf in class between the PL and the Championship and that we have two great strikers at Championship level.

I will be gutted if either go but if they do they must be worth at least £7 Million each.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Jul 2008 21:41

£7m for Doyle and £8m for Kitson is the minimun we should accept, considering Nugent and Chopra left their clubs for slightly less than that, weren't proven in the Premier League, and weren't as good in the Championship. :)