shorey should go\had a bad season etc etc

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: shorey should go\had a bad season etc etc

by Royalee » 11 Jul 2008 14:01

Actually I apologise - Robbie Savage was ten times the player Hunt is when he was in his prime, sorry Robbie.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Jul 2008 14:04

Royalee It's amazing the amount of support players get for fighting in nightclubs on the eve of important games and going out on the piss the night before they're on the bench against Spurs in our most important game of the season. Yet others who play far, FAR better consistently get stick for a 'poor' season where their confidence is shot to pieces because they have shit players around them like Stephen Hunt and they are deemed to not care purely because they don't flap their arms like Harper or run about aimlessly like Ireland's answer to Robbie Savage.

It's funny how all the 'RTGs' slam better players like Shorey, yet give the very reason we were relegated in the form of Hunt, Harper and others some sort of immortal status.

...Perhaps it's because they have absolutely no idea about the basic concepts of the game, which is why they couldn't see relegation coming when the rest of us could.

There's no need to make comments like that Royalee. This is a debate. Why does it have to turn into a slagging match?

And basically what you are doing is absolving Shorey of all blame due to the players around him? If he was so desperate to not play alongside sh*t players (as you call them) he could have bought out his own contract and waited for a club to take him.

And all the RTG's blame Shorey - I'm sorry what planet are you on?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Jul 2008 14:11

Archie's penalty
Royalee It's amazing the amount of support players get for fighting in nightclubs on the eve of important games and going out on the piss the night before they're on the bench against Spurs in our most important game of the season. Yet others who play far, FAR better consistently get stick for a 'poor' season where their confidence is shot to pieces because they have shit players around them like Stephen Hunt and they are deemed to not care purely because they don't flap their arms like Harper or run about aimlessly like Ireland's answer to Robbie Savage.

It's funny how all the 'RTGs' slam better players like Shorey, yet give the very reason we were relegated in the form of Hunt, Harper and others some sort of immortal status.

...Perhaps it's because they have absolutely no idea about the basic concepts of the game, which is why they couldn't see relegation coming when the rest of us could.

There's no need to make comments like that Royalee. This is a debate. Why does it have to turn into a slagging match?

And basically what you are doing is absolving Shorey of all blame due to the players around him? If he was so desperate to not play alongside sh*t players (as you call them) he could have bought out his own contract and waited for a club to take him.

I'm not absolving him of all blame, I'm just saying that he certainly wasn't as bad as people make out.

And yes, they do all blame Shorey, go find the Nicky Shorey tribute thread where such bastions of intelligence like Ian Royal have slated him. They're the same people having a dig at Kitson for coming wide to try and do Hunt's job and Doyle for not being able to score despite a complete lack of service.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Jul 2008 14:16

Royalee
Archie's penalty

I'm not absolving him of all blame, I'm just saying that he certainly wasn't as bad as people make out.

And yes, they do all blame Shorey, go find the Nicky Shorey tribute thread where such bastions of intelligence like Ian Royal have slated him. They're the same people having a dig at Kitson for coming wide to try and do Hunt's job and Doyle for not being able to score despite a complete lack of service.

I am not really blaming him, I am just saying that his attitude last season disappointed me. Our relegation was due to a number of factors as we all know. I never blamed Kitson for coming wide and I didn't slate Doyle for not being able to score.

Basically you just think Hunt is terrible. That's a valid opinion and from the middle of the season he was terrible. I think a lot of the so-called 'RTG's' understood that.

I just want Shorey's attitude to improve. If it does then I will be supportive of him. He was brilliant in the promotion season and the first year in the prem. I think we all want that Shorey back, but I don't think that's going to happen for Reading. In that situation I think he should leave.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Jul 2008 14:31

I agree with what you say - it was not that Shorey was so bad last year but the fact that he gave the impression of not trying at times. However, to be fair I thought he did get back towards his best in the last few games.

If he signed for three more years and said he was committed to the club then great, but as has been said many times before, it appears that he lost some interest after not getting a move last summer.

The real worry is what happens if no one offers say £4M and I really cannot see us taking less. We will be left with a dilemma of either selling him for peanuts or playing him - in which case will he be prepared to go back to giving his all or will he be a shadow of the former player and a negative influence in the squad.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Jul 2008 14:43

andrew1957 I agree with what you say - it was not that Shorey was so bad last year but the fact that he gave the impression of not trying at times. However, to be fair I thought he did get back towards his best in the last few games.

If he signed for three more years and said he was committed to the club then great, but as has been said many times before, it appears that he lost some interest after not getting a move last summer.

The real worry is what happens if no one offers say £4M and I really cannot see us taking less. We will be left with a dilemma of either selling him for peanuts or playing him - in which case will he be prepared to go back to giving his all or will he be a shadow of the former player and a negative influence in the squad.

I just don't understand how a player like Sidwell knuckled down and got the move he wanted. Shorey doesn't seem to be able to do that.

As time passes Sidwell's attitude that year becomes more and more worthy of praise.

If I was going to the Villa friendly I would definitely give the guy a hearty round of applause.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 11 Jul 2008 15:14

Personally i find the whole Shorey "lack of effort" thing a myth really. I know people talk about him not making as many overlapping forward runs but i think that was more to do with the 2 beatings at Portsmouth and Spurs. Those 2 games left an awful lot of scars in our confidence and attitude towards attacking.

The reality is simply that he was one of a number of players who didn't play as well last season as they had for the previous 2. Its a very unusual thing but for 2 seasons we had a group of players all playing at the absolute top of their game at the same time whilst last season we had an entire group of players all losing form at exactly the same time.

My feeling is that its probably best for all concerned if he moved on. He's been here a long time and contributed greatly to the most successful period in the clubs history but I'm not sure his heart will really be in a Championship fight after testing International football with England. I feel the same way about Harper as well, both of them came up with us from the 3rd tier of the English League and whilst i dont think they will ever give less than 100% that little extra spark and hunger is unlikely to still be there.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jul 2008 15:17

Archie's penalty

LOLaughable royalee
you get worse every day

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Jul 2008 16:08

Broflendy...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Jul 2008 16:22

Royalee Broflendy...

good one RofloyaLOLee

(aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2008 18:03

Royalee
Archie's penalty

No they arn't. I haven't had ago at Kits for going out wide or Doyle for a lack of service.

I criticised Doyle for not being able to put away the chances he DID get.

I also didn't blame Shorey for us getting relegated. I blame that on poor form from everyone, injuries replacements failing, squad disruption and many other things.

What I criticise Shorey for is for wanting away and not putting in decent performances because of it. Sidwell managed. For consistantly playing well below what he is capable of, and for oxf*rd off down the tunnel without acknowledging the fans at the end of the season.

I suggest you have a clue what you are talking about before you attribute opinions to people.

I don't need a quote from Coppell to prove he was a disruptive influence. There is no hard proof he was, but a lot of the comments from the likes of Marcus and Murty since have been notable and Shorey and Fae are fairly obvious players to look at there. Maybe Lita as well. Coppell is far too professional to openly blame disruption on an individual who may remain at the club. Maybe there was no disruption, but the potential is very definitely there and I would remove the possibility.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jul 2008 18:08

Vision Personally i find the whole Shorey "lack of effort" thing a myth really. I know people talk about him not making as many overlapping forward runs but i think that was more to do with the 2 beatings at Portsmouth and Spurs. Those 2 games left an awful lot of scars in our confidence and attitude towards attacking.

The reality is simply that he was one of a number of players who didn't play as well last season as they had for the previous 2. Its a very unusual thing but for 2 seasons we had a group of players all playing at the absolute top of their game at the same time whilst last season we had an entire group of players all losing form at exactly the same time.

My feeling is that its probably best for all concerned if he moved on. He's been here a long time and contributed greatly to the most successful period in the clubs history but I'm not sure his heart will really be in a Championship fight after testing International football with England. I feel the same way about Harper as well, both of them came up with us from the 3rd tier of the English League and whilst i dont think they will ever give less than 100% that little extra spark and hunger is unlikely to still be there.

decent points, but I would disagree abot Harper, I can't see Harper ever losing his spark. He just loves being out there and playing. I'd certainly agree no one with a brain thought Shorey was the worst player for us. Nor would anyone with a brain say he didn't try. But he was obviously less motivated and that impacted. Which if he doesn't get his move now, it will again. And it'll be worse because he'll probably think he can coast at this level and still look great.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Jul 2008 00:22

Ian Royal
Vision Personally i find the whole Shorey "lack of effort" thing a myth really. I know people talk about him not making as many overlapping forward runs but i think that was more to do with the 2 beatings at Portsmouth and Spurs. Those 2 games left an awful lot of scars in our confidence and attitude towards attacking.

decent points, but I would disagree abot Harper, I can't see Harper ever losing his spark. He just loves being out there and playing. I'd certainly agree no one with a brain thought Shorey was the worst player for us. Nor would anyone with a brain say he didn't try. But he was obviously less motivated and that impacted. Which if he doesn't get his move now, it will again. And it'll be worse because he'll probably think he can coast at this level and still look great.

Yep I agree with Vision apart from his views on Harps.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 12 Jul 2008 08:46

Nail, head, hit.

Nice one Vision.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 12 Jul 2008 08:56

Agree with the Harper statement - a move to a premiership club is being "blocked" by our inflated valuation. Harper is going to be totally demotivated if he is blocked from such a move by our valuation that is obviously being used to quell any interest.

As a result, he will be an unhappy player in the squad next season and if that spreads amongst the squad, Coppell will have his work cut out.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 12 Jul 2008 15:39

We all know Shorey was a shadow of his old self last season. However if for whatever reason he doesn't move away I will be delighted. He'll be by far and away the best left back in the league in terms of quality. This season had damaged his reputation no end and he'll have to play to earn his respect back and get a proper move at the end of his contract, instead of ending up at a promoted team or struggling Premiership team. Places like West Ham, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Aston Villa would not even consider him if he wasn't able to stand out in the Championship, people would be convinced that 06/07 was a flash in the pan. I think we'd have a similar situation to Sidwell. I'd happily miss out on the £5mill if it got us back up.

My friend who's an Orient fan would not be happy, they're waiting for their 20% sell on clause before they get started on their own transfers.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Jul 2008 09:26

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Agree with the Harper statement - a move to a premiership club is being "blocked" by our inflated valuation. Harper is going to be totally demotivated if he is blocked from such a move by our valuation that is obviously being used to quell any interest.

As a result, he will be an unhappy player in the squad next season and if that spreads amongst the squad, Coppell will have his work cut out.

Harper isn't like that though. He's the sort of player to knuckle down and work. When training is cancelled, he'll go to the park and have a kick about. If there's no one there, he'll kick the ball against a wall for a few hours. Well, according to Coppell a few years ago.

I think our evalutaion is fairish- what is it, £3m? He scored 5 or 6 goals last season- if Gary O'Neil gets a move for that after having a shocker the season before, Harps can too after having a decent season. At times, he wasn't contributing much, but when he was needed, he scored.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Jul 2008 12:25

£3.5m is the number bandied about I believe.

Too low to my mind. Not necessarily for his talent, but certainly for his worth to us.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 13 Jul 2008 12:41

Ian Royal £3.5m is the number bandied about I believe.

Too low to my mind. Not necessarily for his talent, but certainly for his worth to us.

I'd say it's the other way round.

His talent is without question. His worth to us, as a player that obviously doesn't want to be here, is minimal.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Jul 2008 14:55

£3.5 million is about double Harper's worth.