Back from the game - D&R (A) Cup

Kingsley's Kousin

Back from the game - D&R (A) Cup

by Kingsley's Kousin » 12 Aug 2008 22:58

It was just deathly, deathly dull. Long ball from start to finish (except from a notable exception or two when we - HINT HINT - actually achieved something)

Coppell again looked shit with subs, doing absolutely nothing to change a game that, frankly, we were lucky to win. On the second half showing, we didn't deserve it.

Pearce looked brilliant - my MOM. Kelly and Henry showed flashes of class but not quite ready yet.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Aug 2008 23:04

Kingsley's Kousin It was just deathly, deathly dull. Long ball from start to finish (except from a notable exception or two when we - HINT HINT - actually achieved something)

Coppell again looked shit with subs, doing absolutely nothing to change a game that, frankly, we were lucky to win. On the second half showing, we didn't deserve it.

Pearce looked brilliant - my MOM. Kelly and Henry showed flashes of class but not quite ready yet.

Was it as dull as Forest?? Maybe that is our new way of being consistent this season... playing dull football

yuomi

by yuomi » 12 Aug 2008 23:24

somewhere along the line this has to become terrifying right. i mean, i know its very early on in the season to start carping on but, really, if this goes on things will start falling apart very quickly indeed. the media tend to be focusing on the survivors of our last 'successful campaign', whereas i look at our squad now and realise that its those who have left who made up a large proportion of the quality element influential in our promotion.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 12 Aug 2008 23:28

Gawd, that was truly abysmal. We should have lost that game by rights. Daggers played a better game all around.

Fortunately we were saved from going 2-1 down when their striker - clean through on goal - completely couldn't make his mind up and ended up hitting it straight at Marcus. Really should have scored.

Our biggest problem was that time and time again they walked straight through our central midfield pairing unopposed, while we hoofed it back to them so they could have another go.

Pleased for Henry (Showed moments of skill and moments of utter crapness, not sure how I feel about him) and N. Hunt (looks to have a decent touch and might turn out pretty good for us) getting off the mark, but I hope we buck our ideas up for Plymouth.

Ingimarsson, Pearce and S. Hunt (who was our only player with any umph in the second half) came out with some credit, everyone else was pretty dire really (especially Harper and Cisse, who were fecking useless).

Where were the subs again??! If you're happy with the squad, like you keep saying, use it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Aug 2008 23:32

Reading are nothing more than a long ball side and they don't even manage to do that particularly well. Hit and hope rubbish, we were exceptionally fortunate tonight as the first goal was an absolute joke. I liked Kelly at right back, the front two worked hard despite being fed a measly diet of scraps and Pearce had a solid game although I wonder whether his lack of pace might hold him back. On the negative side, the central midfield pairing were atrocious and Ingimarsson is starting to become a real worry. Captain Mainwaring > Captain Harper.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2008 23:38

How was Griffiths?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 13 Aug 2008 00:02

Platypuss How was Griffiths?

Looked alright to me, composed and comfortable on the ball. Trouble is, he only had a total shower of shite to pit his skills against so it's hard to judge.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 13 Aug 2008 00:09

2 games now when we have not bossed the middle of the park

2 games with Cisse and harper in midfield

if harper and cisse can't boss the midfield against a league 2 side then they will struggle against championship sides

Streets

by Streets » 13 Aug 2008 00:16

yuomi somewhere along the line this has to become terrifying right. i mean, i know its very early on in the season to start carping on but, really, if this goes on things will start falling apart very quickly indeed.

Agreed. I mean, a win and a draw in our opening two games is shocking!!

Coppell out!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 13 Aug 2008 00:22

weybridgewanderer 2 games now when we have not bossed the middle of the park

if harper and cisse can't boss the midfield against a league 2 side then they will struggle against championship sides

Cisse isn't a natural midfielder, he's proved that. CD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CM

Streets

by Streets » 13 Aug 2008 00:24

kwik-silva
weybridgewanderer 2 games now when we have not bossed the middle of the park

Cisse isn't a natural midfielder, he's proved that. CD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CM

He hasn't proved that either!!

He was immense against Man Utd and average to below average against other sides in central defence.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 13 Aug 2008 00:29

griffiths was quite good - pace is his strength

overall we were very average. Too many long balls and a truly dreadful central midfield. But the youth players are starting to look promising

Hunt brothers worked their socks off. Noel was good - he really can jump well and although quieter in the second half he still managed to hit the bar and score. Long made both goals and I agree with coppells comments about him - he could be v good but still some way to go. But excellent work rate tonight and electric pace (albeit against league 2 defence)

Convey and Henry were anoynymous (convey is still a yard off the pace and Henry only came to life after his goal for 10mins or so), Harper and Cisse were dreadful - particularly Harper. Midfield looks the problem area at present. wht didnt karacan start? I was even hoping Kebe would come on, Hurry up Marek

Kelly was promising and I hope we see more of him. Composed on the ball and able to tackle - something we didnt see from Ingimarrson (dreadful) who was outplayed by Pearce. Kelly went over to be greeted by an obviously proud father at the end of the match - a nice ending to a nice debut.

USA was slightly at fault for letting a goal in from that distance but made up for it with a great save.

So praise for the full back and forward and Pearce - but the midfield and Ingi dragged us down, as did the incessant hoofing in he second half.........

but in hindsight - unlike 7 other championship sides we yet again progressed against lower league opposition after a fairly mediocre performance....

man of the match? Tony Roberts :wink:
Last edited by Only one Trevor Morley on 13 Aug 2008 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 13 Aug 2008 00:29

Streets He was immense against Man Utd and average to below average against other sides in central defence.

He was better there than CM even when below par...

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 13 Aug 2008 00:30

do you think Jem will start on saturday?

im guessing he would have made an appearance if coppell was thhinking about it

:cry: :cry:

harper and cisse saturday might ruin my weekend

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 13 Aug 2008 00:35

Walking back from the game I commiserated with a couple of Dagenham fans since their team kept the ball on the ground, passed it around nicely and had the best goal of the night. We simply hoofed it at every opportunity. Their view was that we had one man who stood out, despite being booed by the home fans for his energetic approach to the game, and that was Stephen Hunt. Our right side consisted of Kelly, Pearce and Henry who did try to play, it was the more seasoned pros who tended to hoof. I really hope Dagenham have a great season, a decent team who believe in playing football.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 13 Aug 2008 00:43

Just got in and all there is to say is that the game was shit. We were playing thr long ball game and it wasn't pleasant to watch. Midfield was over ran imo but oh well. Henry and Pearcey did well. Pearcey in particular was brilliant. Can't be asked to write anymore as Im knackered.

bootboy

by bootboy » 13 Aug 2008 00:46

Bucks Dave Walking back from the game I commiserated with a couple of Dagenham fans since their team kept the ball on the ground, passed it around nicely and had the best goal of the night. We simply hoofed it at every opportunity. Their view was that we had one man who stood out, despite being booed by the home fans for his energetic approach to the game, and that was Stephen Hunt. Our right side consisted of Kelly, Pearce and Henry who did try to play, it was the more seasoned pros who tended to hoof. I really hope Dagenham have a great season, a decent team who believe in playing football.

Well said bucks. I felt the young players at least tried to play football at times where possible. Generally was hard to do as the senior pros hoofed the ball forward regular, and imho were some of the poorer players on show tonight.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 13 Aug 2008 00:56

Streets
yuomi somewhere along the line this has to become terrifying right. i mean, i know its very early on in the season to start carping on but, really, if this goes on things will start falling apart very quickly indeed.

Agreed. I mean, a win and a draw in our opening two games is shocking!!

Coppell out!

So our analysis should begin and end at the result should it? A fortunate draw away to a newly promoted Championship side and a fortunate win against a League Two side and it's job done? We need to perform at a higher level to mount a promotion challenge, that much is utterly clear after the first two games.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Aug 2008 01:40

Absolute load of fcuking shite, knew we were in for it once they announced the team lineup, all the anticipation and excitement of seeing the future of RFC whittled away in a moment, 'Hahnemann, Harper, Cisse, Ingimarsson' zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh brilliant, another treat awaits.

Same boring hoofball negative crap to two tiny strikers that didn't have a hope in hell of winning anything, Roberts (who we had a great time having some banter with) cocked up to gift us a goal, we were then utterly abysmal in the 2nd half, Daggers back on level terms after some of the worst defending you will ever see, then a one on one after more horrendous play allowed us 1st to be helped by MArcus, then Cisse just managing not to score an own goal. Embarassing. THANK GOD for 1 moment of half decent play getting us through, totally undeservedly.

'Are you watching Middlesbrough' and 'Long ball shit' was the cry as HArper put in another absolutely disgraceful performance, Karacan was the best player on the park in pre season, athletic, confident and willing to put a shift in, we were told about how we needed to get him involved this season, not used. Cisse, another absolutely awful performance from him too, if there is a worse central midfield anywhere than these two I would like to see it, we wouldn't have these two at Harwell Village.

On the positive, there was some at least. Julian Kelly had a very solid game at right back, Pearce totally outshone Ingimarsson who was absolutely wretched tonight again. Slow, crap in the air, confidence shot to pieces, he looked like the only Iceland team he should be in is the shelf stackers on the Oxford road.

Noel Hunt looks to have something about him, and credit to Stephen Hunt again who when the fans totally turned on the side with about 15-20mins to go was the only one to show some bottle and fight and willingness to win that game. It was almost as if some of them couldn't be arsed. So with it seemingly going tits up Coppell does the sensible thing and leave all 7 subs to sit twiddling their thumbs doing nothing. Bored of Coppell, bored of his long ball negative tactics and absolutely bored of his midfield.

Never thought we won would you? We were exceptionally lucky to beat a team that narrowly avoided going out of the league last season, Plymouth I'm looking forward to seeing....pretty much the same team but with more favourites to come back in for the lads that actually don't deserve to be dropped. I would not be surprised to see Plymouth (who aren't very good) turn Reading over again on Saturday.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 13 Aug 2008 01:58

'greed with pretty much everything there AP.

Certainly would like to see pearce and sonko(or doobs if fit) starting on saturday.

James Harper is a joke. Weak in the challenge, technically nothing special, no bottle. Yes he can run alot but fook me he is poor.

Cisse though atleast is willing to get stuck in and he did ok ish tonight.

Ivar = slow, can't jump, past it, slow on the ball.