Royals @ Charlton Match Thread

321 posts
Coppell's Right Footed 11

Re: Royals @ Charlton Match Thread

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 23 Aug 2008 15:16

Lita and Doyle have done nothing up front the 3 games they have played. Noel Hunt & Shane Long deserve a start against Palace.

How can we expect to win when half our side can't pass?

Hahnenmann, Sonko & Cisse cant pass and end up losing possesion everytime we try to play the ball from the back. Ingimarsson also has little composure choosing to head it into no mans land on endless occassions.

Can Pearce pass and defend well? if so get him in. Matejovsky or a passing midfielder in a.s.a.p

Time to get Sonko out, he was woeful as usual irrelevant of his goal.

The team was poor, Convey may not of beaten his man but at least the lad looks to play a pass which cant be said for the others who played today

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2008 15:16

Gordons Cumming
Platypuss
Gordons Cumming The players who didn't start that I'd have in (included injured)

Murty
Duberry
Bikey
Hunt N
Mooney
Marek
Pearce
New signing. :wink:

OK?

no Harper then?

I'm not saying they'd all start. :roll:

Then what are you saying?

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 23 Aug 2008 15:20

Having read through the comments, I have to come down on the side of the pragmatists.

1. How many similar posts were posted after the 2-1 defeat to Plymouth in the 2006 season?

2. Todays result was not any one players fault. I agree Doyle is out of sorts and needs his confidence rebuilt but how else can he do this apart from score goals?

3. We do not have any right to win games in the Championship just because we were in the premier league last year. Those detractors should realise we were a small club in the premier league and we are not a big club in the championship. We will go back to enjoying home gates of only 18000 and all out "Star" players have either gone or want to go (except SHunt who really does seem to be "what you see is what you get").

we will not be relegated - we will be in the mix at the end of the season in the top 6 and top 2 is not impossible or unthinkable if just a few pieces of the puzzle come back together which may well be the return of Murty and the aquisition of a good left back if Goldbourne does not step up to the plate and Doyle or Lita to start scoring goals - which they will.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Aug 2008 15:20

Ok so I haven't read any of this thread but I'll give you my two cents worth.

Similar game to the Portsmouth and Tottenham away games last year. The only difference being Charlton aren't as good as Spurs and Pompey. Our strikers are low on confidence (apart from Noel Hunt - more on him later), our midfield was porous and our defence (apart from Shunt) was lax and didn't mark enough. A wake-up call hopefully. I am worried though that Coppell won't learn from the game. Another bad performance like that where we are run ragged and I feel he should go. There are ways of avoiding this though (more later).

My player performances:

Hahnemann - 6 made a good save but was at fault for the first goal.

Rosenior - 5 - didn't support Kebe enough and at fault for the fourth goal.

S. Hunt - 7 - we need his energy further up the pitch - good crossing and active as usual.

Sonko - 5 - bad positional play, reminded me of the Sonko of last year. Good that he is suspended now.

Ingi - 5 - looked lost.

Kebe - 6 started brightly but had a worse second half.

Harper 6 - didn't play that well but was involved in quite a few attacks.

Cisse 4 - did he do anything? Awful. Hope he doesn't play there again for a while at least.

Convey - 5/6 - didn't play badly but a bit light-weight.

Doyle 4 - way off-form. Missed the pen which would have been crucial for his confidence. Drop him please Coppell.

Lita 5 - got the penalty but off-form as well - not shooting enough.

subs

Pearce - 6 looked decent when he came on.

N. Hunt - 7 - star man. Looked very dangerous when he came on. Hit the bar, shot + created a chance in the space of two minutes.

Long - 6 looked better than Doyle and Lita.

So it was bad but what are the solutions.

1) Unfortunately Sonko showed that he hasn't improved since last year. Quick, mobile forwards make him look terrible. Replace him with Bikey, Duberry or Pearce. I would also consider dropping Ingi.

2) Coppell should drop Doyle and maybe Lita too. Noel Hunt has to start. He looked confident, strong, good in the air, aware of other players. You can see he had a good year last year. In my opinion his performance was the biggest plus of the game.

3) We need to sign a left back. We really miss S. Hunt's energy further up the park. The confidence he showed to re-take the penalty is exactly what we need. Convey is too light-weight. I would like to see the two brothers combining.

4) We need to sing a central-midfielder who can tackle - or at least break up play.

Luckilly we have 10 days left of the transfer window. We need to take advantage of it. All is not lost but changes are needed!

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Aug 2008 15:21

2000 poor souls went to see this shower

:|

As for Ingimarsson and Cisse? :shock:

John Peel

by John Peel » 23 Aug 2008 15:22

Great, I wondered how long it would take for the pessimists to take over again. Considering it was an away game against a very good Charlton side, I thought we played well at times. Sonko was great at times and not so good at others. The guy is a real Jekyll and Hyde. Not sure he was 'shit' though. Bit harsh maybe.

Doyle looked like his mind was elsewhere. I say sell him. Hunt is f*cking hungry for it so start him against Palace.

I agree that marking from Rosenoir was poor for both third and fourth goals. Anyway, let's just bring on the next f*cking game and stop moaning so much. It's only three games in for fu*k sake!

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 23 Aug 2008 15:22

No doubt JM will be happy with todays result backs up his comments about transfer fees and wages, as long as we play this way there will be no chance of going up, so he can be at ease with the knowledge that his coffers wont be threatened, no wonder he was delighted that Coppell stayed, no other manager would be prepared to work within his constraints. There cant be many clubs lucky enough to have a management trio with no desire to be successful.
Last edited by howser on 23 Aug 2008 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2008 15:23

Archie's penalty 1) Unfortunately Sonko showed that he hasn't improved since last year. Quick, mobile forwards make him look terrible. Replace him with Bikey, Duberry or Pearce. I would also consider dropping Ingi.

2) Coppell should drop Doyle and maybe Lita too. Noel Hunt has to start. He looked confident, strong, good in the air, aware of other players. You can see he had a good year last year. In my opinion his performance was the biggest plus of the game.

3) We need to sign a left back. We really miss S. Hunt's energy further up the park. The confidence he showed to re-take the penalty is exactly what we need. Convey is too light-weight. I would like to see the two brothers combining.

4) We need to sing a central-midfielder who can tackle - or at least break up play.

Luckilly we have 10 days left of the transfer window. We need to take advantage of it. All is not lost but changes are needed!

Bingo.

Our hope is that SC isn't stupid. Intransigent, yes, but not stupid.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Aug 2008 15:26

Of course we need more players - but do you really, honestly think we're going to get the players of the calibre we need? Of course, we won't. And every day that gets closer to 1 Sept and we haven't signed anyone, Mr Mad will be rubbing his hands. We cannot expect to do well in this league with the current batch of players imo and that's all, we as fans, expect. To do as well as we can. We'll not get a big signing, we'll not spend a couple of million on a good left back and we'll not get anywhere in this league.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2008 15:27

Archie's penalty

Don't hold your breath with this clubs management.

g

by g » 23 Aug 2008 15:33

How easy is it to forget the experience we have in the championship. One season does not make a swallow. Kitson was our only striker at this level that would bag goals year after year. How many games has Lita, Long, or Doyle played in the Championship? I know some might still be coming down from the high that they are Premier League class, they aren't. Lots of strikers have one great season and disappear. Sadly, the realisation of the real 'class' is showing. Hopefully it is not too late to sign Neil Shipperley.

Royal Rebel

by Royal Rebel » 23 Aug 2008 15:35

Our full back positions are woeful

S Hunt is NOT a left back !!

L Rosenior is absolutely awful whin is Murty fit ?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 23 Aug 2008 15:35

Archie's penalty 4) We need to sing a central-midfielder who can tackle - or at least break up play.

Agreed.

Plus we need SHunt up the pitch, not at left back

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 23 Aug 2008 15:36

Get Bikey in midfield.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 23 Aug 2008 15:38

The whole year inn
Archie's penalty 4) We need to sing a central-midfielder who can tackle - or at least break up play.

Agreed.

Plus we need SHunt off the pitch, not at left back

I've corrected your post for you.

hutch

by hutch » 23 Aug 2008 15:45

How long before Doyle is going to be put out of his misery and put on the bench? Fair enough Coppell has stuck with Doyle and kept the faith, possibly with Lita also. Any chance of Mooney/Long partnered with Noel Hunt (who looks sharp) against Palace?

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 23 Aug 2008 16:35

Coppell's Right Footed 11 Lita and Doyle have done nothing up front the 3 games they have played. Noel Hunt & Shane Long deserve a start against Palace.

How can we expect to win when half our side can't pass?

Hahnenmann, Sonko & Cisse cant pass and end up losing possesion everytime we try to play the ball from the back. Ingimarsson also has little composure choosing to head it into no mans land on endless occassions.

Can Pearce pass and defend well? if so get him in. Matejovsky or a passing midfielder in a.s.a.p

Time to get Sonko out, he was woeful as usual irrelevant of his goal.

The team was poor, Convey may not of beaten his man but at least the lad looks to play a pass which cant be said for the others who played today

Sonko woeful as usual, what are you talking about, he was brilliant last week, and played pretty well today.

dellwoodboy

by dellwoodboy » 23 Aug 2008 16:38

Today was another woeful performance by RFC. Having just read all 13 pages of this thread nearly just about every player that started the game has come in for some criticism and that is probably justified. The person that does not seem to get much blame at all is our manager S.C. and I lay the blame squarly at his feet. Too my mind the whole team looks very complacent and are just not doing the hard stuff that is really needed and overall I do not think this has happened throughout 2008. I do not see a lot of games but I would go so far as to say we have not put in the effort needed since the game at West Ham the end of last year when we played for over 7o mins with only 10 men. The problem seems to be that too many of the current side are shoe-ins, they will be picked however bad they played recently. The biggest joke is our strikers( they couldn't strike a match if they tried)
The manager does not seem willing to give our one new player(bar Moony) a go and how much better would we have performed today with Noel Hunt up front instead of Doyle who has to go. When Hunt came on things happened.
With both todays game and Forest I particuarly noticed how poor we are at picking up loose balls especially in midfield by far and away our weekest area. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this poor aspect of our play.
I would go so far as to say I do not believe R.F.C. will be a power again until we get a new manager.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 23 Aug 2008 16:45

Gordons Cumming The players who didn't start that I'd have in (included injured)

Murty
Duberry
Bikey
Hunt N
Mooney
Marek
Pearce
New signing. :wink:

OK?

Have you seen Mooney play? :shock:

You have three centre backs in that list, are you saying you'd play Bikey and Marek in midfield and drop both Cisse and Harper?

I actually thought Harper had a decent game today. I think it took an hour for him to give the ball away and broke up play very well at times, but always through big tackles, but through intelligently nicking the ball off the opposition and making interceptions. Cisse alongside him was pretty woeful though.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 23 Aug 2008 16:51

Row Z Royal Noel > Kevin?

The question raised by Mrs RZR just now.

Definately worth a go. Noel's cameo's have been superb.

321 posts