Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Sep 2010 18:30

But we do have something to look forward to. If we get a home game in the FA Cup we have a chance to win our 100th game at home in the competition, so who says this season is a damp squib now then? :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2010 18:35

Schards#2
Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

The initial post, made some two years ago, in full.

Prophetic some might say.

Mate can you help me choose lottery numbers please?

Thanks.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Sep 2010 18:38

rhroyal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
Sebastian So was Schards right?

Yep.

And some of us who went against the grain and stood by him are feeling a little smug. 8)

You'd still rather be wrong though.

I would. I'm sure we'd all rather Schards was wrong, including Schards himself.

philM

by philM » 20 Sep 2010 20:09

But Schards was wrong. We made the playoffs. He made the wrong call and looked stupid. Get some dignity back and let it lie.

philM

by philM » 20 Sep 2010 20:11

This reply summed it up and should have been the end of this thread..

Baines [waste of time]

Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.FALSE. 4TH!

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously.PROBABLY TRUE He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer TRUE. He will keep the club sound and stable TRUE but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards. DON'T KNOW - HE MIGHT TAKE THE VIEW THAT HE NEEDS TO SPEND A BIT IN ORDER TO GET THE CLUB READY FOR SALE. YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT, THOUGH.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job TRUE, but it hasn't TRUE - BUT IT DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY FOLLOW THAT HE ISN'T (WASN'T) THE BEST MAN THIS SEASON. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new teamTRUE. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this HMMM - (A) THE TEAM HAS DEVELOPED FROM WHERE IT WAS AT THE START OF THE SEASON (B) I'M NOT SURE THAT "HUNGER" WAS EVER COPPELL'S DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh SUBJECTIVE - BUT I DISAGREE..

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:IF YOU'RE COMPARING IT TO THE CLUB'S BEST EVER PERIOD, NSS. A LONGER TERM COMPARISON? THE JURY'S OUT, BUT 4TH AND THE PLAYOFFS AIN'T NOTHING

[/waste of time]

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 20 Sep 2010 20:14

FiNeRaIn Maybe now the RTG's will look at that and realize how sucked in they've been by the clubs propaganda. Being spoon-fed absolute fail for the last two years.

Wish I hadn't renewed my season ticket, wasted money...crap team to watch, best players sold..no light at the end of the tunnel.

How long before kebe's off, just to compile the state we are in as a club.

LOL @ not renewing your season ticket just because a couple of players have been sold

Jeezy pfucking christ

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Sep 2010 20:41

Who says I regret renewing it just because we sold a few players?

The biggest part is the lack of investment in new ones. Don't let that get in the way of some attempted trolling though.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Sep 2010 21:03

Big Foot
FiNeRaIn Maybe now the RTG's will look at that and realize how sucked in they've been by the clubs propaganda. Being spoon-fed absolute fail for the last two years.

Wish I hadn't renewed my season ticket, wasted money...crap team to watch, best players sold..no light at the end of the tunnel.

LOL @ not renewing your season ticket just because a couple of players have been sold

Jeezy pfucking christ

Perhaps if you took your shoes and socks off you might be able to count better! It is a helluva lot more than a couple. Still can't expect too much intellectual horsepower from those who keep swallowing every word they are fed by Madejski, particularly when some of it is probably as open and honest as some of the descriptions in Auto Trader. The guy has repeatedly and spectacularly failed to walk his grand talk and put his money where his oversized mouth is, yet still people think the sun shines out of his posterior.

By all means LOL at another three season tickets being renewed if Madejski is still in charge and dishing out the bull come the end of this season. And good luck to the Madejski faithful in helping him plug yet another black hole that suddenly reveals itself at his incredibly well run club.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Sep 2010 22:24

The title of the thread is "hard to see any progress for the foreseeable future" - I'm think I'm right in saying that Schards wasn't just thinking of THAT season but of the FUTURE and he HAS been proven correct unfortunately.

If anyone still thinks that we are going to be a force to be reckoned with and will be in with a shout of promotion this season, next season or any other season whilst the club are unable to plough money back into the club from the money garnered in sales, then, personally, I think you're wrong.

For the umpteenth time, no-one should be so foolhardy as to think that we should spend millions of pounds on players and take risks just to try and get back to the Prem - but if we couldn't use even HALF of what we got for Siggy in order to bring players in, particularly in areas where we are sadly lacking, then no-one should be surprised and to be honest, if things carry on in future seasons moneywise, the way they have the last couple of seasons, I'd be bloody happy that we were midtable each season!

Scylla

by Scylla » 21 Sep 2010 00:07

If you sit by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 21 Sep 2010 07:50

Scylla If you sit by the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by.

Unfortunately we need to see the 22 bodies float by to get where we want to :/

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 21 Sep 2010 09:02

RoyalBlue
Big Foot

Jeezy pfucking christ

Perhaps if you took your shoes and socks off you might be able to count better! It is a helluva lot more than a couple. Still can't expect too much intellectual horsepower from those who keep swallowing every word they are fed by Madejski, particularly when some of it is probably as open and honest as some of the descriptions in Auto Trader. The guy has repeatedly and spectacularly failed to walk his grand talk and put his money where his oversized mouth is, yet still people think the sun shines out of his posterior.

By all means LOL at another three season tickets being renewed if Madejski is still in charge and dishing out the bull come the end of this season. And good luck to the Madejski faithful in helping him plug yet another black hole that suddenly reveals itself at his incredibly well run club.
I'm far from Pro-Madejski but to suggest you wouldn't renew because a couple of players (who, when the cap fits most label as "mercenaries" :roll: ) have been sold is laughable

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Sep 2010 09:13

Good points BF.

I dont recall this negativity when the team were on a roll last season, that was a season with a parachute payment, and a manager who seemed to get some underperforming players going.

From outside it now looks like some are underperforming again, but now there is no Siggurdsson to cover their short comings.

Having just seen them play at Torquay, it looked like they had gone backwards, the desire was not there, especially in Rasiak, I am sure you will agree there BF, as you saw his play that day. Lazy and uninterested.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Sep 2010 09:21

Harpers So Solid Crew Good points BF.

I dont recall this negativity when the team were on a roll last season, that was a season with a parachute payment, and a manager who seemed to get some underperforming players going.

From outside it now looks like some are underperforming again, but now there is no Siggurdsson to cover their short comings.

Having just seen them play at Torquay, it looked like they had gone backwards, the desire was not there, especially in Rasiak, I am sure you will agree there BF, as you saw his play that day. Lazy and uninterested.

I may be wrong on this,(i've asked for clarification a few times), but I believe we received the last parachute payment between the end of last season and the beginning of this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2010 09:29

It's received at the end of each of the two seasons, so we would have received it after the end of the season - you are correct. I will be amazed if it was not budgeted into last seasons budget though as it was guaranteed income.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Sep 2010 09:30

Can't see when it is paid anywhere, am sure we were told it is in stages, and rightly so. I would assume they set the budget knowing when the money came in, I also assume the £4m black hole, is the budget set, with the lower ST prices and drop in crowds expected for the season, so it is totally possible that the hole might be filled by decent form and a good run in the cup, both of which bring in extra revenue, especially TV money, which must have been well down last season.

According to this http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... n-2009-10/ we got over £12m in payments from the Prem for 09/10, not the £11m we kept hearing about.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Sep 2010 09:44

Royal Lady The title of the thread is "hard to see any progress for the foreseeable future" - I'm think I'm right in saying that Schards wasn't just thinking of THAT season but of the FUTURE and he HAS been proven correct unfortunately.

He might have been thinking it, perhaps he was even whispering it to your goodself whilst indulging in a bit of naughties but, unfortuantely, he didn't say it at the time.

We were 2 goals away from getting back to the prem in one of the most exciting seasons in our history.

Had we have won the game against Birmingham he would have looked a right dick.

On such slim margins are ivory towers made. :roll:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Sep 2010 10:26

Royal With Cheese
Royal Lady The title of the thread is "hard to see any progress for the foreseeable future" - I'm think I'm right in saying that Schards wasn't just thinking of THAT season but of the FUTURE and he HAS been proven correct unfortunately.

He might have been thinking it, perhaps he was even whispering it to your goodself whilst indulging in a bit of naughties but, unfortuantely, he didn't say it at the time.

We were 2 goals away from getting back to the prem in one of the most exciting seasons in our history.
Had we have won the game against Birmingham he would have looked a right dick.

On such slim margins are ivory towers made. :roll:

Are you serious?

The period from Xmas to the end of the season was one of the worst i've seen in 40 years

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Sep 2010 10:29

Schards#2 Are you serious?

The period from Xmas to the end of the season was one of the worst i've seen in 40 years

I've only been a fan for 27 years and I've seen worse.

Have you blanked the Steve Moran days from your mind?

(Cue "What a lightweight", "Glory hunter", etc.)

Kingsley's Kousin

by Kingsley's Kousin » 21 Sep 2010 12:21

How near are we to the 100?

2091 posts