The craziest thing you,ve done to follow Reading?

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

The craziest thing you,ve done to follow Reading?

by Chaney » 21 Oct 2008 14:32

I`de be interested to hear of anyone that can beat this shear lunacy in your love for our favourite footy team,
it happened many years ago, probably late 70,s , myself and 3 friends were having a jar or 8 in the local watering holes around
Reading when the conversation got onto Readings away game at Stockport the following day..the drink was talking at this time as it was about 10pm, anyway one of us mentioned that wouldn`t it be a good idea to hitch-hike up there :(
like a load of idiots we all agreed..so as soon as the pubs chucked out we split into two groups and headed off..to say I regretted that decision till this day is an understatement..there was the girl that picked us up and was going to drop us off in Birmingham, but she chucked us out near to Oxford after I chucked up in the back of her car :oops:
we did eventually get to Stockport after getting a train for the final leg of the journey, we missed the 1st twenty minutes or so, it was hard to get into the spirit of the game because quite frankly we were both absolutely knackered, at half time we heard someone shouting from the seated area..it was one of the other two guys, they made it there with somet time to spare..he said that another friend of ours was there and he was willing to give us a lift all the way back to Reading..and to meet them outside after the game. naturally this made us feel much better.
after the game (which finished 2-2) we made our way to the meeting point, but couldn`t find them anywhere..as this was before the days of the mobile phone we had no way of knowing just where they were, it turned out that they meant a different corner of the ground, and we missed them altogether..so after about 30 minutes we knew we had the awful option of hitch-hiking all the way home again..neither of us had slept for over 36 hours now so this was not going to be a pleasant journey!
one of my vivid memories is of sitting on a metal barrior at a motorway intersection while my mate held out his thumb when a police car pulled up, we told them our story and they kindly gave us a lift to a nearby transport cafe where there were loads of lorries parked outside, we asked nearly all the drivers there if anyone was heading south..none were..so we started to walk, we saw the signs LONDON 100 MILES..after what seemed an eternity we saw the next sign LONDON 98 MILES..I thought thats it..I`m going to die here, we walked for about 2 more hours when a car pulled up..where you heading guys?..the man said.. Reading..I`m not going to Reading..will London do?...F*ck me man yea yea!!!..we got in the car and headed off..inside a minute I was asleep, next thing I know I`m waking up outside Paddington station as he dropped us off..I finally fell through my front door at around 2.30 on Sunday afternoon.
my mum had just finished cooking the Sunday roast..the best meal of my life I went to bed..and woke up 8am Monday morning...just in time for work. :lol:
Last edited by Chaney on 21 Oct 2008 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The craziest thing you,ve done to follow Reading?

by Deathy » 21 Oct 2008 14:52

Maintained a season ticket when living in Leeds, and sometimes drove down here twice in a week. Always straight to the game and then straight home too.

Got lost in Sheffield once and picked up 2 Sheff Utd fans who directed me to the ground and some good free parking. Nice guys, big meat headed slanty eye'd buggers too. They then invited me in a home fans pub on the corner opposite the away end (me in Reading shirt) and I drank with them for about an hour and a bit. Only let me in because they knew these two so well. One little Reading fan singing his heart out and a pub full giving it back. Funny! Good banter. Good day out that, if not a bit intimidating!

Kieron1981

by Kieron1981 » 21 Oct 2008 15:37

Chaney I`de be interested to hear of anyone that can beat this shear lunacy in your love for our favourite footy team,
it happened many rears ago, probably late 70,s , ...............

EPIC :)

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Oct 2008 15:49

Didn't Blackie used to cycle to some away games up north in those days?

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 21 Oct 2008 16:05

I heard he used to walk up to the midlands matches on his hands

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Oct 2008 16:09

Wax Jacket I heard he used to walk up to the midlands matches on his hands

Juggling a football with his feet as he did so.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Oct 2008 16:21

just put a fiver on kebe to score

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2008 16:30

Norfolk Royal
Wax Jacket I heard he used to walk up to the midlands matches on his hands

Juggling a football with his feet as he did so.

:D :lol:

Nothing nearly so exciting for me I'm afraid - other than, when the stadium was near to completion my ex husband used to go up there practically every week to see how it was getting on - Boyd Butler was there one day and we asked when it would be completed. He said there was no way it would be completed in time for the first league match of the season, so we booked a family holiday where we'd be coming back a couple days after the first saturday in the season. Of course, nearer the time, the stadium WAS completed on time and while we were in France, my husband made me book a ferry home for the day before the game, so he could go.

He also rang BBC Radio Berks when we were in Florida and listened to the commentary down the phone for an hour and a half. :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2008 16:32

My best is fairly pedestrian.

Train to Forest this season was cancelled and got a lift with a random Forest Fan I met at the station instead. We got stuck in traffic and got to Nottingham as the game was kicking off. He stopped opposite the stadium and let me out before he went off to find a parking space.

I got the train back.

I'm not sure mine even qualifies as non-league compared to Chaney's premier league level adventure

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 21 Oct 2008 16:39

Royal Lady
He also rang BBC Radio Berks when we were in Florida and listened to the commentary down the phone for an hour and a half. :roll:

:shock: Did we win?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 21 Oct 2008 16:50

Went to a mate's birthday in Portsmouth the night before Bolton away, left at 4am and just made the game in time...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2008 16:56

Bill Oddie's Beard
Royal Lady

:shock: Did we win?

I can't remember - I was too busy sunbathing. 8)

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Oct 2008 17:01

Traveled on a bus to the ground from the Station.
It was raining outside and it was packed with wet people inside the Bus.
Managed to lose 24 pence.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Oct 2008 17:03

Chaney I`de be interested to hear of anyone that can beat this shear lunacy in your love for our favourite footy team,
it happened many years ago, probably late 70,s , myself and 3 friends were having a jar or 8 in the local watering holes around
Reading when the conversation got onto Readings away game at Stockport the following day..the drink was talking at this time as it was about 10pm, anyway one of us mentioned that wouldn`t it be a good idea to hitch-hike up there :(
like a load of idiots we all agreed..so as soon as the pubs chucked out we split into two groups and headed off..to say I regretted that decision till this day is an understatement..there was the girl that picked us up and was going to drop us off in Birmingham, but she chucked us out near to Oxford after I chucked up in the back of her car :oops:
we did eventually get to Stockport after getting a train for the final leg of the journey, we missed the 1st twenty minutes or so, it was hard to get into the spirit of the game because quite frankly we were both absolutely knackered, at half time we heard someone shouting from the seated area..it was one of the other two guys, they made it there with somet time to spare..he said that another friend of ours was there and he was willing to give us a lift all the way back to Reading..and to meet them outside after the game. naturally this made us feel much better.
after the game (which finished 2-2) we made our way to the meeting point, but couldn`t find them anywhere..as this was before the days of the mobile phone we had no way of knowing just where they were, it turned out that they meant a different corner of the ground, and we missed them altogether..so after about 30 minutes we knew we had the awful option of hitch-hiking all the way home again..neither of us had slept for over 36 hours now so this was not going to be a pleasant journey!
one of my vivid memories is of sitting on a metal barrior at a motorway intersection while my mate held out his thumb when a police car pulled up, we told them our story and they kindly gave us a lift to a nearby transport cafe where there were loads of lorries parked outside, we asked nearly all the drivers there if anyone was heading south..none were..so we started to walk, we saw the signs LONDON 100 MILES..after what seemed an eternity we saw the next sign LONDON 98 MILES..I thought thats it..I`m going to die here, we walked for about 2 more hours when a car pulled up..where you heading guys?..the man said.. Reading..I`m not going to Reading..will London do?...F*ck me man yea yea!!!..we got in the car and headed off..inside a minute I was asleep, next thing I know I`m waking up outside Paddington station as he dropped us off..I finally fell through my front door at around 2.30 on Sunday afternoon.
my mum had just finished cooking the Sunday roast..the best meal of my life I went to bed..and woke up 8am Monday morning...just in time for work. :lol:

Great story, not many will go anywhere near matching that.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 17:21

My story isn't crazy at all in comparison but it's quite funny nevertheless.

Me and my dad left for Tranmere away in 1998 way too late and got stuck in traffic. By the time we got to the ground it was already half-time but we decided to pay the money and watch the second half. We got in, looked up at the scoreboard and found it was 5-0 to Tranmere!!!

So we sat through the rest of the game in which we played pretty well (only losing 1-0). Me and my dad both wanted more!

size 12

by size 12 » 21 Oct 2008 17:22

Deathy Maintained a season ticket when living in Leeds, and sometimes drove down here twice in a week. Always straight to the game and then straight home too.

Got lost in Sheffield once and picked up 2 Sheff Utd fans who directed me to the ground and some good free parking. Nice guys, big meat headed slanty eye'd buggers too. They then invited me in a home fans pub on the corner opposite the away end (me in Reading shirt) and I drank with them for about an hour and a bit. Only let me in because they knew these two so well. One little Reading fan singing his heart out and a pub full giving it back. Funny! Good banter. Good day out that, if not a bit intimidating!

I know the pub you mean, a right rough dive of a place. I had a really embarrassing moment in there, when a girl I was friendly with wanted me to take her to a game. I was living in the Midlands, so this seemed like a good one to choose.

She was quite well to do, neither of us were in colours, so we went in this pub, full of hairy arsed Sheff Utd fans, I asked her what she wanted to drink when I got close to the bar, and she asked for a Snowball!!

Lee Nogan scored in a 1-1 draw in the 94/95 play off season

double d

by double d » 21 Oct 2008 17:32

this past friday night came home to reading from uni not realising i left my preston ticket there. went clubbing and at half one my mate said

'you going preston'

thought shit my tickit

had to wait on my own for 2 hours on my own in a t shirt at reading station, with sick on my shoes that one of my canut-ish mates done........ went to london and could not actually get into my house cause my pricks of a housemates though it would be funny to put the katch on the door so could not change, and had to stick my arm through the latched door and just about grabbed my ticket...

on the way up fell alseep, missed reading but luckily landed at ox*ford so went upto manchester on my own...... on the way back was so tired got the wrong train and ended up going towards glasgow!!!!

got off at lancaster and when i got back to preston legged it and litterally made the last train to reading by a nanosecond and found my mates and then got pissed!!!!!

what a combination of booze, tiredness and stupidity does

what away days are about really

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 21 Oct 2008 17:36

I've got a tattoo of David Leworthy on my bell-end

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Oct 2008 17:42

Got URRRRRRRRRZ tatoo'd across my whole right arm. 8)

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 21 Oct 2008 17:46

I once got the last bus from the station and it got caught in severe traffic. I then had to repeat this nightmare journey by queuing up for over 20 minutes for the return leg home. True story.