Stephen Hunt is worse than Jimmy Kebe, Sign in

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Stephen Hunt is worse than Jimmy Kebe, Sign in

by winchester_royal » 23 Feb 2009 09:33

LOL at all the flak Kebe is currently taking on this board. At least he can beat a defender, rather than our local hippy. Was there anything Shunt did of note on Saturday? Useless, over-rated, and thinks he is better than he actually is.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Stephen Hunt is worse than Jimmy Kebe, Sign in

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:34

I disagree, and I think the medium-term memory loss of some Reading supporters is quite frankly frightening.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 23 Feb 2009 09:36

Kebe offered more on Saturday I agree, but on the whole, Hunt is a better player IMO.

Kebe is a typical old skool winger - 10/10 GENIUS one minute, 0/10 sh*te the next. At least Hunt is usually a solid 6-7/10.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 09:38

In a winning side rolling over the opposition S Hunt looks good
and he makes up for his lack of pure skills with effort and guts
although occasionally he goes into headless chicken mode

But until Matejovsky came on he looked poor. I can't remember him having a worse 60-odd minutes.

Have to say though that when Matejovsky started sliding balls through he looked much better

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 23 Feb 2009 09:41

cmonurz I disagree, and I think the medium-term memory loss of some Reading supporters is quite frankly frightening.

Hunt's main asset has always been his work-rate and never die attitude. At the start of last season, and at the start of the current season, these qualities were clear in abundance. And granted, he was excellent. However since then he has not shown either. Maybe he is having a strop after not getting his move to Spurs, or he believes he has too much quaLOLity to do the donkey work, but without them he is little better than a pub player.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 09:48

I don't have a problem with that appraisal of Hunt at all, he is certainly off the boil, it's the blanket 'Hunt is worse than Jimmy Kebe' comment I don't get, when surely, we would take a top form Hunt over a top form Kebe?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 23 Feb 2009 09:49

Hunt has plenty of energy of which most is used up chasing back to make up for the mistake he has made when he could not beat the defender.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Feb 2009 10:10

Hunt playing OK > Kebe playng OK because of Hunt's all-round game

But Kebe on top form > Hunt on top form any time for me

Anyone remember the fantastic run he made away to Cardiff and gave Doyle a simple side-foot in?

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 23 Feb 2009 10:37

winchester_royal Was there anything Shunt did of note on Saturday?

Yes, we had a free kick just outside the box and he smashed it over the bar :roll: It's about as exciting as it got, watching him on Saturday. I don't understand why SHunt always runs with his head down, doesn't look up and expects defenders' to easily let the ball go through their legs. It rarely works. At least Kebe can actually beat a defender as his pace is unstoppable-well if his shirt is tugged then he is stoppable. :roll:

JAY TABB, Where are YOU?
Pester SSC to get into the STARTING 11. We all wanna see what you can do! or maybe that's just me.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 23 Feb 2009 10:50

I think whats being missed here is the fact that teams are wised-up to sHunt. You watch players around Hunt. They know our goals come from his crosses (well at least they did). They are told to effectively block him out of the game. 3 players around him, triangular shaped - this stops sHunt from doing what he does. He can beat 1 man but now there are always another 2 more to do. Or sometimes he gets all three at once. Anyone who plays football knows that the chances of doing 3 people are fairly minimal.

When teams do this, obviously, he is very ineffective and therefore absent from the game. And this is just good tactics from opposing teams. Not that he doesn't give a fuk anymore - or his heads elsewhere.

Get real people, we have been well and truly found out (again). If there's one person to blame here it's not sHunt

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Feb 2009 10:51

Kebe and S.Hunt were BOTH shit on saturday. It was probably the worst home game Kebe has had.

Overall this season, IMO KEBE has been the BETTER player over S.Hunt!!

Even though S.Hunt has had more assists, he should be performing at higher standard

At least Kebe can connect with a volley :lol:

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Feb 2009 10:52

S09Royal It rarely works. At least Kebe can actually beat a defender as his pace is unstoppable-well if his shirt is tugged then he is stoppable. :roll:

Kebe is the new Rougier AICMFP.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Feb 2009 10:52

cmonurz I disagree, and I think the medium-term memory loss of some Reading supporters is quite frankly frightening.

except we arent talking about across his whole reading career, but just since december

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 23 Feb 2009 10:53

Matt de K I think whats being missed here is the fact that teams are wised-up to sHunt. You watch players around Hunt. They know our goals come from his crosses (well at least they did). They are told to effectively block him out of the game. 3 players around him, triangular shaped - this stops sHunt from doing what he does. He can beat 1 man but now there are always another 2 more to do. Or sometimes he gets all three at once. Anyone who plays football knows that the chances of doing 3 people are fairly minimal.

When teams do this, obviously, he is very ineffective and therefore absent from the game. And this is just good tactics from opposing teams. Not that he doesn't give a fuk anymore - or his heads elsewhere.

Get real people, we have been well and truly found out (again). If there's one person to blame here it's not sHunt

'greed. Good post Matt

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Feb 2009 11:02

Matt de K I think whats being missed here is the fact that teams are wised-up to sHunt. You watch players around Hunt. They know our goals come from his crosses (well at least they did). They are told to effectively block him out of the game. 3 players around him, triangular shaped - this stops sHunt from doing what he does. He can beat 1 man but now there are always another 2 more to do. Or sometimes he gets all three at once. Anyone who plays football knows that the chances of doing 3 people are fairly minimal.

Agreed, but my only criticism of Hunt is his inability to adapt. If he's double- or even triple-timed, that means that a) there's no point running up blind alleys and b) there should be space elsewhere on the park. He needs to utilise Armstrong more, and to bawl Harper or Cisse out if they don't get over to support. Play the ball back, sideways, wherever, but maintain possession and help your team-mates use the space made in other parts of the pitch.

I'd like to see more of Marek playing S Hunt in behind defences as he did in the latter stages of Saturday's game. I reckon Hunt will produce more that way than Kebe does with his pace and ability to intermittently beat full-backs.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 23 Feb 2009 11:17

CMRoyal Agreed, but my only criticism of Hunt is his inability to adapt. If he's double- or even triple-timed, that means that a) there's no point running up blind alleys and b) there should be space elsewhere on the park. He needs to utilise Armstrong more, and to bawl Harper or Cisse out if they don't get over to support. Play the ball back, sideways, wherever, but maintain possession and help your team-mates use the space made in other parts of the pitch.

I'd like to see more of Marek playing S Hunt in behind defences as he did in the latter stages of Saturday's game. I reckon Hunt will produce more that way than Kebe does with his pace and ability to intermittently beat full-backs.

Agreed - but I guess that is the way we play - fullbacks to get the ball & take it up the wing - square to midfield for a one-two, then release Hunt/Kebe.We need to find a way of utilising Hunts ability and I think, like you said, that Marek is the answer. Harper would rather play it safe than take a chance with a through ball. As soon as Armstrong gets the ball, and takes it up to the half way line, Hunt already has two players on him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Feb 2009 11:21

Kebe’s biggest strength is his pace, yet he seems almost scared to use it. I would doubt there are many left backs in the division who could stick with him. His play screams for him to simply knock the ball past his man, outpace him and cut in.

He only did it once as I recall on Saturday, got to the byline and cut it back for Lita who should have done better. If he did this more consistently than at worst, the opposition would need to put two men on him giving space for someone inside.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Feb 2009 11:23

'greed with the title of this thread atm. Shunt has done nothing recently whereas Kebe has actually had a go and really put an effort in. I still believe he would be better playing in a formation with 5 across the midfield and him out on the right wing. Or perhaps behind the striker as he seems better when running through the middle.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 23 Feb 2009 11:28

rg6royal 'greed with the title of this thread atm. Shunt has done nothing recently whereas Kebe has actually had a go and really put an effort in.

Thats because teams know that he has pace but not really a final product. Cancel out the supply - cancel out the goals. I bet that is what every manager, that plays Reading, says to his team before the go out and play.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Feb 2009 11:29

Kebe has the potential to be a very good player because of his pace and skill on the ball. Just needs to find that end product more often and use his brain more.