Charlton - Back From The Game...

186 posts
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Charlton - Back From The Game...

by tee peg » 10 Mar 2009 23:47

I think woodcote got it spot on.We are stale and we have been sussed.A welcome change to see S.Hunt taken off but
we could have taken half a dozen off!!!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2009 23:48

Snowball
John Madejski's Wallet Federici 5 - Little to do but should have done better with the goal.

Rosenior 4 - Good overlaps in the 1st half, was overrun due to an invisible Little in the 2nd

How is that his fault? He had two men to mark

Ah, I was adapting someone else's numbers and forgot to change that!!

I should have given him a 6.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 23:48

John Madejski's Wallet
Little - 1st half 6 - 2nd half 3

Yep, so why didn't he get replaced on 55?

Long 8 - MOTM, 2 good goals, good runs and good in the air.

He needs to work on timing his jumps for flick-ons.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 10 Mar 2009 23:49

rg6royal I'm really pleased for Long as he has come in for alot of stick in the past but now is proving what a handy player he can be. I'll hold my hands up because not long ago I was saying how he is rubbish. Seems to be willing to chase every ball nowdays.

Lets not get carried away like we always seem too.

The shirt is his to lose, lets hope he keeps it up.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 10 Mar 2009 23:49

Oh yeah...The ref was atracious(sp?) again. Something needs to be done by the F.A because seriously, the standard of refereeing in this divison is appalling.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 10 Mar 2009 23:51

Refs are always shit when the team happens to perform like they did tonight.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Mar 2009 23:52

Another hopeless display by Reading in all honesty, the first half was tedium personified. The only way we'd score was from a penalty or an own goal, no surprises it took a pen to wake us up.

Their goal was woefully defended, from the moment their guy waltzed through our left side, put the ball across where Rosenior played everyone onside, forgot about his man behind him to score, to then have the cheek to moan about it afterwards was comedy gold.

Almost instantly back in, good play by Little, cross in, sliced clearnce, keeper on the floor, open goal for S Hunt 5 yards out on his left foot, he did exceptionally well to pick out the post.

Long had a couple of promising runs that was begging for a finish, he went on another one at the start of the 2nd half, went down under a challenge and got a pen. Took it himself and thumped it in.

S Hunt was then replaced. Yes you heard that correct, he actually took off the utterly woeful Hunt, brought Tabb on and shortly after Tabb's corner was met by Long who left his marker and headed home. Fair play to Long I've given him some stick this season, his first touch still leaves a lot to be desired but that was a very good header for the 2nd goal.

It wasn't comfortable, they looked threatening, we didn't. They got an innocuous looking free kick 5 mins from time, looped in to the back post, less than 5 yards out, Federici nowhere to be seen, Doobs lost his man and Hudson headed home Charlton's deserved equaliser.

They could almost have won it on the break at the end when a mixture of defender and keeper got rid of it.

This was a really poor performance, lacking in ideas, lacking in confidence, lacking in quality. Charlton more than deserved their point and they weren't very good. worrying is how I would describe Reading, not even sure waht the answer is. I heard Coppell say his team lacks experience, lacks a voice, a leader. What we would give to have the opposing manager in his pomp in that team.

Ratings

Federici 4
Rosenior 2
Armstrong 6
Duberry 4
Pearce 6
Little 6
Marek 6
S hunt 2
Cisse 5
Doyle 5
Long 7

Tabb 6
N Hunt 4
Harper 4
Last edited by Alan Partridge on 10 Mar 2009 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2009 23:53

Snowball
John Madejski's Wallet
Little - 1st half 6 - 2nd half 3

Yep, so why didn't he get replaced on 55?

You'd have to ask Coppel that one. Glenda was completely invisible in the 2nd half

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 10 Mar 2009 23:54

Thought Marek was poor tonight. He just looks lost in a 4-4-2. The problem with Coppell's favoured formation is that we haven't got a pair of CM players who work as a team, dominate the opposition and join up with the front two. When S Hunt's on his game he fills that gap, at the moment he's better on the bench.

Long was excellent tonight, Pearce (and Tabb) did ok too. Doyle desperately needs a break. Coppell desperately needs a rethink.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 23:55

tee peg I think woodcote got it spot on.We are stale and we have been sussed.A welcome change to see S.Hunt taken off but
we could have taken half a dozen off!!!

I don't think it's that bad, really. You could smell it was going to be "one of those games" when we decided to hit the woodwork three times, but we WERE cutting out chances. I know it's "bad finishing" but when you're on a good run they go in off the post or in off the bar. We are not getting much luck with our shooting.

Of course when we got suckered and they scored their first, then the nerves hit with a vengeance and we stopped trying to play football.

But when we went 2-1 up I thought we'd soon make it sure and maybe go 4-1

But then it became clear that we needed to score because Charlton were getting more possession (their left FB had a field day because Little went AWOL, and if I can see it, why can't Coppell?) The first time he let the FB go I thought aybe he'd been caught flat-footed, but then I realised he couldn't run.

It looked to me MORE than merely not being match-sharp. He looked finished.

I hope I'm wrong but he was a passenger second half and he should have been subbed earlier.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2009 23:55

Alan Partridge Another hopeless display by Reading in all honesty, the first half was tedium personified. The only way we'd score was from a penalty or an own goal

And yet we could have gone in at HT 3-1 up and no-one would have batted an eyelid from the chances we had

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 10 Mar 2009 23:55

Woodcote has hit the nail on the head - outdated managerial tactics.
I'm so fukking bored of waching Reading play these last two seasons that I can't see myself renewing next season, promoted or not.
To the person who said that nothing came from central midfield - that's because we didn't pass the freaking ball there the whole freaking game. It was all long ball sh1te. I can't say for sure whether this is down to Coppell's instructions or our players' ineptness, I'm guessing the former. If I have to watch one more Rosenoir banana down the wing to an oppo head I think I'll rip of the bloke's head in front of me and stick my wraparound hotdog down his neck.
RE: Little, he didn't do anything of note, but too much was expected of him probably, was surprised to see him start tbh. [as much as I love the man]
Coppell was a winger and is now a manager with purely winger based tactics. Now that's stopped working he's fkcued, if he can't work out an alternative soon expect some more dour performances to come.
Does anyone want my season ticket for the remainder of this season because I'd rather save the £3.50 bus fare from here on in.........

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 10 Mar 2009 23:57

John Madejski's Wallet
Alan Partridge Another hopeless display by Reading in all honesty, the first half was tedium personified. The only way we'd score was from a penalty or an own goal

And yet we could have gone in at HT 3-1 up and no-one would have batted an eyelid from the chances we had

The point is we're playing like the England rugby team. When we win, we win ugly. We haven't won pretty for two season, and that's what we want to see.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 23:59

moo
rg6royal I'm really pleased for Long as he has come in for alot of stick in the past but now is proving what a handy player he can be. I'll hold my hands up because not long ago I was saying how he is rubbish. Seems to be willing to chase every ball nowdays.

Lets not get carried away like we always seem too.

The shirt is his to lose, lets hope he keeps it up.

No, I think he's really getting his act together now and is trying to make things happen. Interesting interview in the programme suggests his passing his 22nd birthday made him "DECIDE" to grab the bull by the horns.

I hope and pray Copps gives him a decent run INCLUDING the odd bad game or too. He needs that run to be tested. He's becoming a man. Notice he WAS going to take that penalty and no way was SHunt going to get the ball this time.

He has six goals now in 900 minutes, best hit-rate at the club

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 10 Mar 2009 23:59

Whore Jackie Thought Marek was poor tonight. He just looks lost in a 4-4-2. The problem with Coppell's favoured formation is that we haven't got a pair of CM players who work as a team, dominate the opposition and join up with the front two. When S Hunt's on his game he fills that gap, at the moment he's better on the bench.

Long was excellent tonight, Pearce (and Tabb) did ok too. Doyle desperately needs a break. Coppell desperately needs a rethink.

Have to disagree there, I thought Marek was very good today.

Every single time he got the ball he either played an early ball to try and set and attack or ran forward to create some space and look for runners. His style of play will always mean that some passes will get cut out. But thats the price you pay for having someone who is (shock, horror) actually trying to create some forward momentum

Marek suffers in the eyes of Reading fans as a Reading player can string together 20 amazing passes and set up 3 goals and still everyone would get on their back for one simple missed pass.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Mar 2009 00:00

John Madejski's Wallet

TRUE

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 11 Mar 2009 00:01

well said Mr Finch.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 11 Mar 2009 00:03

P.S Who wants my Palace ticket.I have had enough!!! :evil:

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 11 Mar 2009 00:04

Marek was completely anonymous first half, but that wasn't his fault because he was playing piggy in the middle. He managed to see a bit more of it second half but didn't really have any cutting edge for once. I'm a big fan of Marek but couldn't say he really did anything great tonight. It's a shame we feel the need to bypass a Czech international in favour of looping high balls forward.

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 11 Mar 2009 00:12

Who gave Rosey an 8 !! When we used to play football alot of it came through the full backs and tonight they just hoofed it..Rosey in particular. The fact that Shane was the stand out player is a condemnation of the rest..respect to the lad..he really put himself about and took the second goal well but where is the quality. As has been said here Marek in a 442 is not working but I cannot see us changing formation..it is ingrained in this squad who will be completely overrun if they do go up, which on current form they patently do not deserve to (not that anyone else is setting the league alight either). The defending for both their goals was appalling too. Time for Bikey definitely and if we are going to play hoofball Kits is a good signing but harsh on Long if he makes way after the last two games.
Those giving Blakey some stick please remember he needs some games under his belt.

There is definitely a lack of leadership out there and if he was fit I would like to see Murts back just for that.

186 posts