Sheff U at home is now MASSIVE

Crowthorne Royal

Sheff U at home is now MASSIVE

by Crowthorne Royal » 23 Mar 2009 10:37

......With Sheff U winning at Cardiff yesterday our home game with them has so much significance to the promotion race.
By the time we take on Sheff U we could easily be 5th.
Sheff U have 2 home games before we play them and we have 1 away game at Cov. I don't expect us to get anything at Cov after watching that utter sh*te against C.Palace. Even before the red card we looked woeful and our heralded new 4-3-3, take responsibility on the ball etc looked a million miles away as we constantly hoofed the ball anywhere against a team who'd won 1 of the last 13 or something similar!! :oops: :oops:

So assuming Sheff U win x 2 and Cardiff win x 2, that make us 5th. We would need to beat Sheff U just to get to within 1 point of them.

Worrying times for a top 2 finish. We'll just about make the play-offs I think, but with in form sides like Sheff U, Burnley & Cardiff in wait, it will be Championship football again next year.

Before I get dodded.....I will be there against Sheff U, singing away, supporting my team and not watching it cosily on TV. BUT my opinion of the current rabble is that we are poor - end of.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sheff U at home is now MASSIVE

by LoyalRoyal22 » 23 Mar 2009 10:43

If we play how we played at Doncaster against Coventry, then there is no reason why we cant get 3 points. But if we dont put in a peformance it could be simliar to the palace game. I wouldnt write off Coventry.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Mar 2009 10:58

Crowthorne Royal By the time we take on Sheff U we could easily be 5th.
Sheff U have 2 home games before we play them and we have 1 away game at Cov. I don't expect us to get anything at Cov after watching that utter sh*te against C.Palace. Even before the red card we looked woeful and our heralded new 4-3-3, take responsibility on the ball etc looked a million miles away as we constantly hoofed the ball anywhere against a team who'd won 1 of the last 13 or something similar!! :oops: :oops:

So assuming Sheff U win x 2 and Cardiff win x 2, that make us 5th. We would need to beat Sheff U just to get to within 1 point of them.

Surely in this scenario the pressure's off? We'd just be left to limp over the playoff line.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 23 Mar 2009 11:53

Looking in the 'rags' this morning Sheff U. are clearly targeting Brum for an auto place. Blackwell's that confident, we don't even seem to figure in his thinking. Arrogance or confidence? Maybe both 'cos they are clearly playing well. All the indications are that they will come to the Mad Stad in confident/arrogant mood. But as we all know by now, when Reading play the better sides we do seem to raise our game. Both on the pitch and off it!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 23 Mar 2009 15:50

Throwing in a 'dull and uninspiring' would have added a bit of cachet to your post. Things can turn around in a flash in this game. One game we can look dire and the next we look dump and then some magic happens and we look great. We are still in a good position to finish strong.

There is little doubt that we lack the quality that we had in '05-'06. Schards made a great point about us sticking with a 4-4-2 all year. Teams adjusted to us and tried different formations while we stuck with the sam tried and true since in the end we had the best players. We don't have the best players this year. But with some guile and a bit of luck we can still win promotion.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Mar 2009 16:03

Every game we have left is massive, HTH

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 23 Mar 2009 16:10

Incorrect. Every game from now until the end of the season is massive.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 23 Mar 2009 18:36

Perhaps, but not massive enough for me to be arsed to go.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Mar 2009 18:48

A typical optimistic thread by Crowthorne Royal.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 23 Mar 2009 19:27

I'll be controversial - seeing as I have a prediliction for it now and have a new best buddy in Fine Rain - win both Blades and Bluenose and avoid defeat in the others and we are up.

I've given up on Cardiff who were my e/w for an auto.

Bastard next door neighbour is a wolf.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Mar 2009 21:48

I've a feeling we will win this one.

They are playing 3 days before vs Barnsley - Yorks derby and they both need the points - likely to be a very physical game

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 23 Mar 2009 22:06

Let's be honest, being able to play both your main promotion rivals, at home, during the run-in would normally be seen as a gift.

Cookie

by Cookie » 23 Mar 2009 22:23

seahawk10 But with some guile and a bit of luck we can still win promotion.

Guile. :lol: Where can you get some of that?

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 23 Mar 2009 22:39

Cookie

Street Fighter 2 8)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Mar 2009 23:03

I'm not sure where we finish in the play off positions really matters to us a great deal. I can't see 4 teams overhauling us. I'm pretty certain we won't make second now so it's just wait and see what happens and who we draw in the play offs.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 23 Mar 2009 23:53

Arnie_Pie
Cookie

Street Fighter 2 8)

Did I make a grammatical error? Guile = insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; duplicity*. Or is that just an american word and doesn't translate into the queen's english?

*Taken from:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=guile

I am feeling murked by an inside joke that I don't get. :oops:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Mar 2009 10:58

seahawk10
Arnie_Pie

Did I make a grammatical error? Guile = insidious cunning in attaining a goal; crafty or artful deception; duplicity*. Or is that just an american word and doesn't translate into the queen's english?

*Taken from:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=guile

I am feeling murked by an inside joke that I don't get. :oops:

No we are just rubbish

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 24 Mar 2009 11:34

You make your own luck by playing well. We're not doing that at the moment.

We need someone to turn round the rot, we've tried the loan signings, we've not got a manager who can change it. Time for certain players who have let us down (Hunt, Kebe, Doobs for example) to step up a repay the faith the manager has shown in them...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 24 Mar 2009 11:43

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe You make your own luck by playing well. We're not doing that at the moment.

We need someone to turn round the rot, we've tried the loan signings, we've not got a manager who can change it. Time for certain players who have let us down (Hunt, Kebe, Doobs for example) to step up a repay the faith the manager has shown in them...

There is so much in that to disagree with !

If you make your own luck by playing well how come the biggest praise that teams get is by playing poorly and still winning (see Brum for much of the season...)
The 'rot' has seen us lose 3 in 11, and 1 away. It's frustarting that of the points we've dropped there have been a couple of games where we just should not have dropped them (Charlton and Forest) and an extra 5 points would make things hugely different. Sadly we can;t go back and reclaim them :cry:
We've barely tried the loan signings, Kitson made a big difference at Doncaster but it's a bit concerning (and predicatable) that Little hasn;t figured in any meaningful way yet.
The manager has made a significant change - to formation and personnel which has produced mixed results.
As for players letting us down - Kebe ? Don't think so. Doobs ? Unfair, for every mistake he's made crucial tackles / blocks. Hunt ? No contest....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 24 Mar 2009 12:01

Sun Tzu
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe You make your own luck by playing well. We're not doing that at the moment.

There is so much in that to disagree with !

If you make your own luck by playing well how come the biggest praise that teams get is by playing poorly and still winning (see Brum for much of the season...)
The 'rot' has seen us lose 3 in 11, and 1 away. It's frustarting that of the points we've dropped there have been a couple of games where we just should not have dropped them (Charlton and Forest) and an extra 5 points would make things hugely different. Sadly we can;t go back and reclaim them :cry:
We've barely tried the loan signings, Kitson made a big difference at Doncaster but it's a bit concerning (and predicatable) that Little hasn;t figured in any meaningful way yet.
The manager has made a significant change - to formation and personnel which has produced mixed results.
As for players letting us down - Kebe ? Don't think so. Doobs ? Unfair, for every mistake he's made crucial tackles / blocks. Hunt ? No contest....

I am sure little will have some sort of impact from now until the end of the season!!

S.Hunt should be kept away from the 16, his performances are bad for morale