Harper says he would give up a kidney

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Harper says he would give up a kidney

by Top Flight » 08 May 2009 16:34

James Harper says he would give up a kidney just to play some part in Reading’s play-off campaign.

Well I'd give up my liver for him not to play any part in our play-off campaign with his sideways passing and backwards displays!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Harper is looking for one final fling
By Nick Ive
May 08, 2009

James Harper says he would give up a kidney just to play some part in Reading’s play-off campaign.

The midfielder is definitely out of the the two semi-final matches against Burnley as he is suffering with a groin strain.

But he has set his sights on being back in contention and playing some sort of role in the final at Wembley on Monday May 25 – should his team-mates triumph against the Clarets.

“My target is definitely the final,” Harper told the Evening Post. “I would absolutely love that, although if we do get there I definitely wouldn’t start as the gaffer would stick with the boys who got us there which is totally understandable.

“I wouldn’t even be certain of getting place on the bench as I am probably sixth in line now, but I would give a kidney to play some part.”

Harper’s form dipped in the latter part of the season and he has even come in for some stick from a section of Royals fans.

But Royals have missed him recently and Harper revealed: “I was in Asda the other day and people came up to me asking when I was back and saying ‘you have to come back soon’.

“That is a change as two months ago people were booing me. It’s funny how things can change so quickly.”

Harper has missed the last six matches because of his injury but he added: “I am running and doing a bit of kicking, but I can’t kick properly with my left foot.

“There isn’t even a reserve game, so if I do come back in four weeks and get a chance that will be for the final.

“I have been training and having to leave really late and turn off the lights myself.

“I take stuff home and do it. It is boring. There is nothing worse for a footballer than being dropped or injured.”

Harper, Reading’s current second longest serving player admits having to sit out matches is killing him.

“It is so hard watching, especially when there is so much at stake,” admitted the former Arsenal youth-team player.

“I just can’t sit in the stand and watch games, I need to be as near to the pitch as I can.

“On Sunday I was on the steps between the dug-outs and I got told to move by the stewards.

“I went up to the stand but came back down and sat on the bench with my suit as I couldn’t handle it. I just want to get back out there.”

Reading missed the chance of clinching automatic promotion last Sunday when they went down 2-1 at home to Birmingham City.

Massive

And Harper admitted: “I know it’s not ideal as we wanted to go up automatically.

“But now we are in the play-offs and we have to embrace it. They are massive games and there is the chance to play at Wembley.”

Reading’s record in play-offs is not a good one. The club have lost two finals (1995 and 2001) and one semi-final (2003).

But Harper has urged everyone to stay positive as they look to end that run.

“People have been saying Reading never do well in the play-offs, but we can’t have that mentality,” declared Harper.

“We have to look forward to them because it is a chance to get back into the Premier League.

“Burnley clinched their place in the play-offs and there was a carnival atmosphere there and a real celebration.

“I know our circumstances are different as we could have gone straight up, but it is all doom and gloom and there was even booing when we got there.

“We have a second bite of the cherry and let’s go for it. The gaffer said before Sunday’s game we had nothing to lose and we are still in there.”

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Harper says he would give up a kidney

by Thaumagurist* » 08 May 2009 16:38

I like his attitude. I don't know why you're so miserable towards him, Top Flight. :roll:

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 May 2009 16:41

One of the Reading greats, a 100% loyal Royal. Would love to see him lead us out at Wembley.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 May 2009 16:52

Top Flight James Harper says he would give up a kidney just to play some part in Reading’s play-off campaign.

Well I'd give up my liver for him not to play any part in our play-off campaign with his sideways passing and backwards displays!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Harper is looking for one final fling
By Nick Ive
May 08, 2009

The midfielder is definitely out of the the two semi-final matches against Burnley as he is suffering with a groin strain.

But he has set his sights on being back in contention and playing some sort of role in the final at Wembley on Monday May 25 – should his team-mates triumph against the Clarets.

“My target is definitely the final,” Harper told the Evening Post. “I would absolutely love that, although if we do get there I definitely wouldn’t start as the gaffer would stick with the boys who got us there which is totally understandable.

“I wouldn’t even be certain of getting place on the bench as I am probably sixth in line now, but I would give a kidney to play some part.”

Harper’s form dipped in the latter part of the season and he has even come in for some stick from a section of Royals fans.

But Royals have missed him recently and Harper revealed: “I was in Asda the other day and people came up to me asking when I was back and saying ‘you have to come back soon’.

“That is a change as two months ago people were booing me. It’s funny how things can change so quickly.”

Harper has missed the last six matches because of his injury but he added: “I am running and doing a bit of kicking, but I can’t kick properly with my left foot.

“There isn’t even a reserve game, so if I do come back in four weeks and get a chance that will be for the final.

“I have been training and having to leave really late and turn off the lights myself.

“I take stuff home and do it. It is boring. There is nothing worse for a footballer than being dropped or injured.”

Harper, Reading’s current second longest serving player admits having to sit out matches is killing him.

“It is so hard watching, especially when there is so much at stake,” admitted the former Arsenal youth-team player.

“I just can’t sit in the stand and watch games, I need to be as near to the pitch as I can.

“On Sunday I was on the steps between the dug-outs and I got told to move by the stewards.

“I went up to the stand but came back down and sat on the bench with my suit as I couldn’t handle it. I just want to get back out there.”

Reading missed the chance of clinching automatic promotion last Sunday when they went down 2-1 at home to Birmingham City.

Massive

And Harper admitted: “I know it’s not ideal as we wanted to go up automatically.

“But now we are in the play-offs and we have to embrace it. They are massive games and there is the chance to play at Wembley.”

Reading’s record in play-offs is not a good one. The club have lost two finals (1995 and 2001) and one semi-final (2003).

But Harper has urged everyone to stay positive as they look to end that run.

“People have been saying Reading never do well in the play-offs, but we can’t have that mentality,” declared Harper.

“We have to look forward to them because it is a chance to get back into the Premier League.

“Burnley clinched their place in the play-offs and there was a carnival atmosphere there and a real celebration.

“I know our circumstances are different as we could have gone straight up, but it is all doom and gloom and there was even booing when we got there.

“We have a second bite of the cherry and let’s go for it. The gaffer said before Sunday’s game we had nothing to lose and we are still in there.”

we know

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 08 May 2009 17:02

To be honest he is not that bad. He puts in more effort than most of the players.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 08 May 2009 17:13

You say an RFC legend but surely a true RFC legend would be talking about giving up both his kidneys?

James Harper is a top man and I really hope we make it to Wembley and he gets to play some part in the match. Even a cameo sub appearance when we are already 3 up with a few minutes to go..simply to perform a standing on the ball Rotherham debut style moment!!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 08 May 2009 17:14

I miss having James in the team - even if he does pass sideways all the time :|

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 May 2009 17:23

anyshort pass will do me, and someone to collect and carry the ball from teh defence is just what we are missing at the moment

the boo merchants want shooting really. embarrassed he even heard it

aardvark

by aardvark » 08 May 2009 18:04

I'm not surprised James Harper shops in Asda - voted Britain's best value supermarket 11 years running.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 08 May 2009 19:46

CMRoyal One of the Reading greats, a 100% loyal Royal. Would love to see him lead us out at Wembley.

Thaumagurist* I like his attitude. I don't know why you're so miserable towards him, Top Flight. :roll:

LoyalRoyalFan To be honest he is not that bad. He puts in more effort than most of the players.

Archie's penalty I miss having James in the team - even if he does pass sideways all the time :|

+1
We've missed him, I feel.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 May 2009 20:20

Thaumagurist* I like his attitude. I don't know why you're so miserable towards him, Top Flight. :roll:

I love Harps to be fair. I was just messing about.

I just wanted to add to the negativity on this board in order to give Burnley false hope and make them think that we are a bunch of miserable tw*ts.

I actually think that the winner of our tie with Burnley will go on to win the play-offs.

As far as I'm concerned we are both the two most dangerous sides. Burnley because they are cup kings and Reading because we could be under estimated. If our players decide to re-discover their early season form we may end up walking these play-offs.

kitson the god

by kitson the god » 08 May 2009 20:52

could he before? :roll:

only kidding. i hope he plays a part

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 May 2009 21:26

I remember speaking to him after we won an away game a few years back.

Me: That was a great result tonight.

Harps : Feck off - i didn't play.

He is 100% + a professional who wears his heart on his sleeve and would pee blood to play.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 May 2009 23:23

How about giving his contract up so we can get promoted?

Quagmire

by Quagmire » 08 May 2009 23:26

Royalee How about giving his contract up so we can get promoted?

:roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 May 2009 23:45

THis from a player who clearly doesn't want to be at Reading. :roll:

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1