Shane Long Vs Simon Church SEASON WATCH

186 posts
Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Shane Long Vs Simon Church SEASON WATCH

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 17:56

Ok, pre-season is on it's way and the new season draws ever closer.

Many here seem to think this will be Long's season, and he will be our 'key' (gulp) man. I fear otherwise.

I think it's make of break for the young lad this season. We've had all the conversations about how he gives the ball away far too often, needs 2-3 touches... But credit where it's due, he started to show some worth at the end of last season, yet still made as many mistakes as he always has.

Now we have the emerging Simon Church. Impressive loan spells last season, and even more impressive for Wales U21's. John Toshack quoted as saying he could be better than Craig Bellamy.

Head to head, who will have the better season. Place your bets.

Deathy: Church
Last edited by Deathy on 05 Jul 2009 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane Long Vs Simon Church WATCH

by rg6royal » 05 Jul 2009 18:15

Good post.

I have a feeling Church will be really looking to impress Rodgers in pre-season and cement his place in the first team squad. Agree that this season is make or break for Long.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 05 Jul 2009 18:17

Long will destroy the mostly crap opposition in pre-season. It's when we get to the better teams that his lack of touch starts to show.

Thames

Re: Shane Long Vs Simon Church SEASON WATCH

by Thames » 05 Jul 2009 18:25

Agree with Winchester.

I'm an avid follower of Wales/Wales U21's and have to say Church is a very good player but doesn't score enough goals. His scoring record for Wales U21's is fantastic but alot of that is down to quality supply by Aaron Ramsey and getting onto flick on's by target man Sam Vokes.

He works abit 'too hard' if you see where I'm coming from...he won't get you many tap in's and he's the man chasing the ball to prevent goal kicks, throw in's etc. As a result, he isn't in the box too much.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2009 18:26

As a long time detractor of Long I think it's totally incorrect to say he was making the same old mistakes at the end of the season. The reason he started scoring regularly is because he stopped making so many mistakes and improved his touch.

Long will score more goals than Church. Whether either will have a big impact I'm unsure on.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 18:37

Ian Royal As a long time detractor of Long I think it's totally incorrect to say he was making the same old mistakes at the end of the season. The reason he started scoring regularly is because he stopped making so many mistakes and improved his touch.

Long will score more goals than Church. Whether either will have a big impact I'm unsure on.

But he was. He weighed in with a couple of goals, but he was still giving needless balls away and still required 2-3 touches to bring the ball under control.
What I do like about him though is his heading ability, and he can jump too! But with the ball at his feet, he always looks nervy.

There is no better man than Brendan Rodgers to get the best from Church, and to develop him further! Same for Long, but Long must deliver this season.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 05 Jul 2009 18:51

Thames Agree with Winchester.

I'm an avid follower of Wales/Wales U21's and have to say Church is a very good player but doesn't score enough goals. His scoring record for Wales U21's is fantastic but alot of that is down to quality supply by Aaron Ramsey and getting onto flick on's by target man Sam Vokes.

He works abit 'too hard' if you see where I'm coming from...he won't get you many tap in's and he's the man chasing the ball to prevent goal kicks, throw in's etc. As a result, he isn't in the box too much.

Fair comment about Aaron Ramsey's service although one of Church's goals against England U21's was superbly taken.
Its still very early for Church but next season he should get some first team starts.

starbug

by starbug » 05 Jul 2009 19:04

winchester_royal Long will destroy the mostly crap opposition in pre-season. It's when we get to the better teams that his lack of touch starts to show.

spot on, Long has had long enough to prove himself and still appears to be that player with potential but isn't fulfilling it, time for someone else to be given a chance and unless we get anyone in I guess it'll be Church.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Jul 2009 19:05

PEARCEY
Thames Agree with Winchester.

Fair comment about Aaron Ramsey's service although one of Church's goals against England U21's was superbly taken.
Its still very early for Church but next season he should get some first team starts.

All that can be corrected by good coaching/advice ....

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Jul 2009 19:15

It's Long's last chance this season to prove that he can do it week in week out for Reading. I still think his development was stunted by Coppell's refusal to sign a striker in the Premiership, Long was stuck playing a terrible standard of reserve football against kids, when he should have been out on loan for two seasons. I believe we'd have a much better player on our hands, if he developed that confidence and experience away from Reading.

Not sure about Church, thrown in against Burnley where he looked out of depth, but what else would you expect? His loan record is poor, he's not a goal scorer it seems and I don't think is good enough to play wide. If we sign another striker and play 451, I'm not sure how much we will see of Church.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 05 Jul 2009 19:21

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe It's Long's last chance this season to prove that he can do it week in week out for Reading. I still think his development was stunted by Coppell's refusal to sign a striker in the Premiership, Long was stuck playing a terrible standard of reserve football against kids, when he should have been out on loan for two seasons. I believe we'd have a much better player on our hands, if he developed that confidence and experience away from Reading.

Not sure about Church, thrown in against Burnley where he looked out of depth, but what else would you expect? His loan record is poor, he's not a goal scorer it seems and I don't think is good enough to play wide. If we sign another striker and play 451, I'm not sure how much we will see of Church.
Agreed on what you say on Long. He had potential but wasn't ready for the Premiership.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2009 19:27

Deathy
Ian Royal As a long time detractor of Long I think it's totally incorrect to say he was making the same old mistakes at the end of the season. The reason he started scoring regularly is because he stopped making so many mistakes and improved his touch.

But he was. He weighed in with a couple of goals, but he was still giving needless balls away and still required 2-3 touches to bring the ball under control.
What I do like about him though is his heading ability, and he can jump too! But with the ball at his feet, he always looks nervy.

There is no better man than Brendan Rodgers to get the best from Church, and to develop him further! Same for Long, but Long must deliver this season.

Not in the games I saw he wasn't

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 19:29

Ian Royal
Deathy

Not in the games I saw he wasn't

They were the same games I was watching and many others here that commented the same afterwards. We're you pissed? :?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2009 19:31

No, and you're the only one I've seen saying he was making the same mistakes. The majority I saw saying anything said his touch was much improved.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 19:47

Ian Royal No, and you're the only one I've seen saying he was making the same mistakes. The majority I saw saying anything said his touch was much improved.

It was. Instead of needing 4 touches, he only took 2 or three. Scored a couple of goals too.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2009 19:48

You really are so very tiresome.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 05 Jul 2009 19:49

Long lacks match practise.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 19:57

Ian Royal You really are so very tiresome.

Love you x

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 05 Jul 2009 19:58

rg6royal Long lacks match practise.

What, all the time? :?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 Jul 2009 20:33

:lol: