Tourist Brits reaction to Reading FC....

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Tourist Brits reaction to Reading FC....

by Mike Hunt » 24 Jul 2009 01:52

In the NFL i go for the
SEAHAWKS

Baseball, I have not picked a team yet, but I do like a few players from a few different teams.

stl_royal

by stl_royal » 24 Jul 2009 05:17

as a yank and lover of reading i get the same type of reaction all time time (my personal favorite is "who is reading...you mean the town in pennsylvania"). ive never actually met another reading fan over her until recently and its nice to finally have someone that actually understands why i support them and how much energy ive invested in it.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 24 Jul 2009 08:21

I have followed Toronto Blue Jays for some years.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 24 Jul 2009 10:36

Everybody knows I root for the mighty Washington Redskins. I even went out to Washington last November to see them. 8)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Jul 2009 12:36

Vision Curious what the response would be if we asked the Brits on here what American Football or Baseball teams they follow and why?

I have family in Boston so it's the Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Jul 2009 15:24

Ian Royal I'm massively prejudiced against US sports.

American Football is a duller version of the dull game Rugby played without the skill and wearing body armour.

Baseball is rounders with pretensions and a ten second attention span

Basketball is netball for men with half the difficulty taken out, played at 3 times the speed.

I agree with two of them: American football is played by alternatively employed nightclub bouncers who are laughingly called 'athletes'. The game totally lacks imagination, spontaneity and grace. Any sport that requires a player to wear a helmet and tights has to be ghey.

Basketball has to be the most boring sport ever invented. Teams ritually swap points until the last two seconds at which point they infeasibly manage to get in about ten time-outs. One of those games you could fall asleep watching, wake up and everything just looks the same. Save the bother and just play the last two seconds only.

At least baseball is not played against the clock and there is way more technique involved than you think. The science of pitching is not too dissimilar to that of bowling in cricket. The sway of the game can also change in an instant.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 24 Jul 2009 15:55

sums up how I feel Ark.

I went to University of South California v US Navy American football game in San Diego (roughly second tier level , but capacity crowd) and I left at half time or some such, it was so dull. Great experience to be in that crowd, but an hour or so (including time outs) was enough.

Baseball is ace.