DROP ROSENIOR

251 posts
SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: DROP ROSENIOR

by SteveRoyal » 16 Aug 2009 20:56

:shock: I thought he was fantastic against Newcastle. Stand-out performer for me.
Shoddy against Forest, though.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 16 Aug 2009 21:11

Y25 Todays Star says he's off to Prem Club for £1.5M

Are you sure that's not just a lazy sub who's forgotten to 'insert team name here' in a template story?

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 17 Aug 2009 23:19

Should of kept John Halls.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 18 Aug 2009 09:25

Because I'm a contrary bugger I'm gonna go against the grain here and stick up for Rosenior.

He was poor 1st half against Forest but 2nd half was arguably our best player, making overlapping runs, linking up with Church (when he was switched to the right) and making a superb interception to deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity. To be honest you wan't see too many better performances from any full-back at this level than that 2nd half display. He was certainly one of our better performers on Saturday despite being doubled up on virtually all game. He was still making vital challenges in the final minutes and kept his head despite a difficult afternoon when in the past he has been known to get himself into trouble.

Also this "18 months of crap" nonsense really has to stop. He struggled in a struggling side in the last 3rd of last season but for several months he (and believe it or not Kebe) were vital components in a side that were scoring freely and defending solidly. That right hand side in particular for 2-3 months they were an extremely effective outlet and responsible for an awful lot of our goals during that Sept/Oct/Nov period in particular.

He's not perfect by any means but already in the 2 games I detect a new found maturity in him. He's a more than established player at this level which is a rarity in the current line-up. Think he's vital to us this season to be honest.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 18 Aug 2009 09:36

Vision Because I'm a contrary bugger I'm gonna go against the grain here and stick up for Rosenior.

He was poor 1st half against Forest but 2nd half was arguably our best player, making overlapping runs, linking up with Church (when he was switched to the right) and making a superb interception to deny a clear goal-scoring opportunity. To be honest you wan't see too many better performances from any full-back at this level than that 2nd half display. He was certainly one of our better performers on Saturday despite being doubled up on virtually all game. He was still making vital challenges in the final minutes and kept his head despite a difficult afternoon when in the past he has been known to get himself into trouble.

Also this "18 months of crap" nonsense really has to stop. He struggled in a struggling side in the last 3rd of last season but for several months he (and believe it or not Kebe) were vital components in a side that were scoring freely and defending solidly. That right hand side in particular for 2-3 months they were an extremely effective outlet and responsible for an awful lot of our goals during that Sept/Oct/Nov period in particular.

He's not perfect by any means but already in the 2 games I detect a new found maturity in him. He's a more than established player at this level which is a rarity in the current line-up. Think he's vital to us this season to be honest.

+1

Very well said.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Aug 2009 10:58

Vision Because I'm a contrary bugger I'm gonna go against the grain here and stick up for Rosenior.

A gr8 m8 of mine can't stand him, but I think you've pretty much summed Rosenior up. In this league normally he's easily good enough. I too thought we was ok v Forest, dire against Burton truth be told but I thought he had a more than decent game at Newcastle, trying to mark their excellent left winger. He made a few excellent challenges. Rosenior has pace with sets him apart from the rest of the backline, can get forward, occasionally put the odd good ball in. His confidence like the teams was well down towards the end of last season and he had a spell of shite games. But as a right back in this league he's ok. We could do worse.

also not helping him is that last seaosn in front of him was Kebe, who is DIRE.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Aug 2009 11:06

Totally agree.

He makes a rod for his own back with the rubbish he comes out with in the media, but he has all the makings of a decent Premiership right back and a top one in this division.

His performance against Newcastle was excellent. It's not east as a full back to defend the back post and cover for your centre half when said centre half goes wandering a bit and your left marking two 6' 2" centre forwards. I thought he coped very well with the attacking threat of Newcastles left wing, which, lets be honest will be far better than any other side in this division (don't forget thats a regular Argentinian International winger and a Spainish U-21 fullback they had to pay about £6m for!).

Rosenoir really isn't one of our problems at the moment.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Aug 2009 11:21

I can't see an obvious replacement, so what's the point of dropping him? He's a trier, has pace, and frankly is one of the few "senior" player we have left who has some experience. Aside form all that, he hasn't exactly had a 'mare in any gamne this season!!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Aug 2009 11:31

I think the problem people have with Rosenior is that we bought him as a Premiership right-back with England U21 experience and so our expectations were high.
Why do people think Fulham were happy to offload him?
From my memories of him at Fulham he looked to be a winger playing at right-back and looked ideal as a wing-back.
Seeing him at close quarters over these past two seasons I feel that his crossing isn't good enough for a wing-back but (now that he seems to have stopped putting his hand in the air ever time to appeal for offsides) his defending has improved from a tacklng and heading perspective but his positional play is still not very good.

On balance I suppose he is good enough for us as a Championship club and he does seem to be enthusiastic and certainly talks the talk.
At the moment we have no other better option.
In thinking about him and how good or bad he is and looking at our player options for tonight I do still feel disappointed and angry that we adopted the "we will go with what we have got" philosophy just 17 months ago when we fans knew that the team wasn't good enough but the club (who knows who at the club be it Coppell,Hammond,Mad ?)thought and acted otherwise.
I think it will be a long,long road back(if at all in my lifetime which on average should be about another 15-20 years) and although I would love it like everybody else if The Academy players turned out to be stars I remain unconvinced about any of them (yes,early days and all that) although Jem and Scott Davies do have something about them.

Not all players develop quickly but future stars generally do and in our history Sanchez and Webb come to mind as 16 year-olds ready to play in the first team (one division below admittedly) and not 20 yearolds as most of our current stock are and having experience of playing league football elsewere.
Today I feel a bit depressed with the ongoing fire sale and back on topic I think a fit Rosenior has less to offer than a fit Murty but does that matter if our immediate aim is survival and not much more?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 18 Aug 2009 12:25

Come on Tango you know you want him.

Not having him myself, just not good enough. Passing and posistioning are pub standard. The formation needs defenders who can pass the ball, not kick it out of play like Rosenior does. His crossing is actually very good imo, which make it all the more frustrating.

He's not as bad as some say, but his whole media persona with comments about playing for England when he signed, I think have pissed people off over the years.

mad79

by mad79 » 18 Aug 2009 12:46

He is the new pointer in the team without harps. One trick pony boot the ball past the left back then try and beat him for pace but never will. He did once against palace last year and tried it ever since. At least Gilkes used to get it after booting it forward

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 22 Aug 2009 19:39

Is it not a coincidence that since Rosenior came into the side we've been on a sharp decline?

Relegation
Failure last season
Struggling this season

For me, his is the key weak link at the moment.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 22 Aug 2009 20:05

To be fair to Pearce, he was shouting and barking orders across the pitch today. But you need more than one doing that.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Aug 2009 20:07

Deathy To be fair to Pearce, he was shouting and barking orders across the pitch today.

Were the opposition scoring while this was going on?

Ryn

by Ryn » 25 Aug 2009 14:37

Drop Rosenior, get Bertrand on the right and Armstrong on the left.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 25 Aug 2009 14:39

Ryn Drop Rosenior, get Bertrand on the right and Armstrong on the left.

Armstrong has just had an operation. Good call !!!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Aug 2009 14:53

The weak link at the back against United was Bertrand. Great going forward, but he might as well not be there when high balls are floated to the back post.

Ryn

by Ryn » 25 Aug 2009 14:55

^ Bertrand is the best player we have at the moment. He was the only player who looked capable of making something on Saturday.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 25 Aug 2009 14:57

Bertrand is left-sided, surely?!? :|

Wongle

by Wongle » 25 Aug 2009 15:01

Big Foot you were posting whilst we were being relegated, and again you posted last season, and again during this poor start to the season you are posting!!! OMFG! It's YOU, lynch him!!!!!!!!

The team last year weren't good enough for one reason or other, Rosenior has not made the team bad on his own or leaked all goals himself, no doubt you are the idiot that sits behind me in the west stand that was blaming him for every goal we conceded on Saturday, utter rubbish.

251 posts