Whats plan B?

The under 18's.

:lol: :lol:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The perspective thread.

by The whole year inn » 15 Aug 2009 21:40

FiNeRaIn you cannot blood half your youth academy at once, especially against a team of seasoned pro's in front of 40,000 away from home.

I cant help but agree with this

Anyone looking at Newcastle's midfield should not have put out the team we did to try and match them

A genuine :|

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 15 Aug 2009 21:58

The whole year inn
FiNeRaIn you cannot blood half your youth academy at once, especially against a team of seasoned pro's in front of 40,000 away from home.

I cant help but agree with this

Anyone looking at Newcastle's midfield should not have put out the team we did to try and match them

A genuine :|

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with FiNeRaIn, but I do here. I'm trying not to form any opinion of Rodgers until at least Christmas - remember he's as new to management as most of his players are to first team football - but I'm getting a nasty feeling we may have swapped a good manager who was no kind of coach, for a good coach who's no kind of manager.

Early days though.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2009 22:00

The problem we have at the moment is that there's no-one better to put into that midfield.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 15 Aug 2009 22:04

Harper, Matey and tabb might have been able to compete

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 15 Aug 2009 22:08

As the season is now over what are the predictions for next years' league one campaign?

Or will the world have ended by then?

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Aug 2009 22:37

Perspective is a two-way street surely?

For all those expressing doom and gloom after a defeat to a still impressive Newcastle XI there were an equal number trumpeting the future after a 0-0 with Forest and a home win over a team playing their first ever League Cup match.

It's not rocket science that if you strip your team of all experience (Released, Sold, Injured, Suspended, Dropped) you will struggle

It's not rocket science that if you take Doyle, Lita and Kitson out of a squad already struggling to score you won't score goals

It's not rocket science that fans will see the Crown Jewels being sold and replaced by kids (with potential admittedly) who were at Aldershot, Southend, Crewe et al last season and wonder what the hell is going on

I worry that a bad start will destroy all confidence in these lads and then its a massive battle to get out of the mire. We need to strengthen the squad now and play at least some of our experinecde players (why give Boris a contract and not play him?) or we are going the way Saints went.

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Aug 2009 22:38

Perspective is a two-way street surely?

For all those expressing doom and gloom after a defeat to a still impressive Newcastle XI there were an equal number trumpeting the future after a 0-0 with Forest and a home win over a team playing their first ever League Cup match.

It's not rocket science that if you strip your team of all experience (Released, Sold, Injured, Suspended, Dropped) you will struggle

It's not rocket science that if you take Doyle, Lita and Kitson out of a squad already struggling to score you won't score goals

It's not rocket science that fans will see the Crown Jewels being sold and replaced by kids (with potential admittedly) who were at Aldershot, Southend, Crewe et al last season and wonder what the hell is going on

I worry that a bad start will destroy all confidence in these lads and then its a massive battle to get out of the mire. We need to strengthen the squad now and play at least some of our experinecde players (why give Boris a contract and not play him?) or we are going the way Saints went.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Aug 2009 22:47

If you can't make your point once, make it twice, eh Jinx?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2009 22:48

Harpers So Solid Crew Harper, Matey and tabb might have been able to compete

Tabb was our worst player today.

Always looked to play it backwards, never turned to go forward.

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Aug 2009 22:50

Gordons Cumming If you can't make your point once, make it twice, eh Jinx?

It's not polite to ridicule a man with a stutter :wink:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Aug 2009 23:12

winchester_royal OK, so a team with 6 players under the age of 22, and 4 academy graduates, loses against a team which has 4 former England internationals, 1 former england youth striker, 1 current england youth striker, 1 spanish U21 fullback, 2 Argentinian internationals, and have a former chelsea first teamer on the bench.

Is anyone really that bloody suprised????

We all said when Rodgers was appointed that it would take time and PATIENCE. He is trying to instill a new footballing ethos into the team. In this team he is introducing a number of talented, yet inexperienced, youngsters. The fact that we didn't look out of place in the first half today against a team possesing such experience and quality is fantastic TBH. It will take time for this team to come good. We all know that. One only has to look at Rodgers' record at Watford to understand the process that this team will go through in the next few months.

We all cried out for local players to get their chance, and a result like this was always likely to happen. But they will learn from this experience, as will Rodgers, who will now understand what we need to do in the last weeks of the Transfer Window. We will only come back stronger, and eventually we should come good, however until then we must give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt.

Calm down, and get some bleedin perspective.

no I'm not surprised at all. You don't replace the entire spine of your team with untested youth and expect to do well. With experienced players on the bench it's suicidal. Unless of course you're looking to sell off the crown jewels and do it on the cheap...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 Aug 2009 23:12

winchester_royal

I've never been clear what he does, what role he's supposed to play. But harper, Marek and Karacan ought to be a better arrangement than today - experience, guile and some grit from Jem. The knock against Harper/Marek in Coppell's system was that it was too lightweight. In this system you can cover for that by throwing a tough-tackling, high-energy player like Karacan in alongside them. Today, Karacan ended up with way too much responsibility on his shoulders. Let the experienced heads run the show and let Jem keep the opposition in honest.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2009 23:29

The self-congratulation taking place on this thread is in the posts of those already bleating that some fans may dare to question decisions made by a new management team. Probably the same nobbers who couldn't believe anyone would question King Coppell last season after 'all wot he did for us'.

Poor decisions made in team selection can be considered to have contributed to our defeat today, and Rodgers and co are rightly blamed for that. 'Perspective' is not the same as pretending everything is going to be fine in the end.

I posted during the week about attitudes towards good players who have left/are set to leave this club - Bikey, Doyle, Hunt, Harper etc. Make no mistake, we are a lesser team without these players. Oh for those four in the line-up today.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Aug 2009 23:32

Arch
winchester_royal

I've never been clear what he does, what role he's supposed to play. But harper, Marek and Karacan ought to be a better arrangement than today - experience, guile and some grit from Jem. The knock against Harper/Marek in Coppell's system was that it was too lightweight. In this system you can cover for that by throwing a tough-tackling, high-energy player like Karacan in alongside them. Today, Karacan ended up with way too much responsibility on his shoulders. Let the experienced heads run the show and let Jem keep the opposition in honest.

Agree totally, i thought that Jem was probably our MOM today -impressive in his defensive duties and not slow to take on responsibility. His weakness though was trying to play the killer ball too often (although that may well have because the other two central midfielders were so anonymous and none of the wide players appeared to want to give him any kind of get out.)

I felt for Long who was totally starved of support and service until Hunt and Harper came on.

I think pearce will be a very good player in time, but he had a poor game today (perhaps responsible for the first two goals) - I'm not sure that the levels of expectation and responsibility put on him can make his job any easier.

Rodgers belief in Youth is obviously laudable, and hopefully will bear fruit in time - but surely they need some protection/guidance in the short to mid term

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Aug 2009 23:34

cmonurz The self-congratulation taking place on this thread is in the posts of those already bleating that some fans may dare to question decisions made by a new management team. Probably the same nobbers who couldn't believe anyone would question King Coppell last season after 'all wot he did for us'.

Poor decisions made in team selection can be considered to have contributed to our defeat today, and Rodgers and co are rightly blamed for that. 'Perspective' is not the same as pretending everything is going to be fine in the end.

I posted during the week about attitudes towards good players who have left/are set to leave this club - Bikey, Doyle, Hunt, Harper etc. Make no mistake, we are a lesser team without these players. Oh for those four in the line-up today.

oh jesus christ - I agree with you..... :wink:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 15 Aug 2009 23:36

cmonurz The self-congratulation taking place on this thread is in the posts of those already bleating that some fans may dare to question decisions made by a new management team. Probably the same nobbers who couldn't believe anyone would question King Coppell last season after 'all wot he did for us'.

You're right. Perspective is realising that all is not awful simply because we lost to a very strong and experinced Newcastle team.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 15 Aug 2009 23:40

And my 'issue' with this thread is that, barring a couple of usual suspects and one or two drunkards, this board is not in any way full of people proclaiming that all is 'awful simply because we lost to a very strong and experinced Newcastle team.'

As always, the majority of posts are reasoned arguments.

Jinx

by Jinx » 15 Aug 2009 23:45

winchester_royal

You're right. Perspective is realising that all is not awful simply because we lost to a very strong and experinced Newcastle team.

and failed to score against a not very strong Forest
and failed to create a decent chance against either
and haven't won at home since January.......

just don't think complacency can be afforded while we wait for all these youngsters to find their feet as a team

I really hope that they come good and we have an exciting few years to look forward to but the seeds of doubt are very firmly planted

230 posts