P3 F0 A?

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Re: P3 F0 A?

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 19 Aug 2009 08:11

Forest Gump Reading (unambitious, short-sighted, f'king hopeless)

Not too sure about the short sighted bit - in fact their current model is the purest definition of far sightedness.

Im fully expecting us to be bottom 6 if not bottom 3 for the first ten games of the season. Its quite clear that we are testing who is capable from the Academy and its also quite clear that some of them will fail. That's our game nowadays and it seems it i staking the fans just as long to adjust as the players. I dont know how successful this will be in the long term, but there is only one way to find out if this works. Given the end of last season, I cant really see why we have a complaint about the club trying something new.

So, no, I wouldnt say short sighted or, even, particularly unambitious, given the amount we have stumped up front for Rodgers.
But, yes, I do sense that we may have striker issues - but I would like to see if our goal rate improves (yes, I know) with a more confident midfield.

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Aug 2009 08:22

Deathy
Sir Dodger Royal RFC have had two months to do something but again they are cheap skates.

No action. No bloody idea.

£2m on Matt Mills is tight? You really are a knob aren't you?!

2m on matt mills is anything but tight. but, as evidence of things unseen, that is not the kind of signing you or i wanted and definately not the kind of signing we NEEDED.

yuomi

by yuomi » 19 Aug 2009 08:27

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Not too sure about the short sighted bit - in fact their current model is the purest definition of far sightedness.

Im fully expecting us to be bottom 6 if not bottom 3 for the first ten games of the season. Its quite clear that we are testing who is capable from the Academy and its also quite clear that some of them will fail. That's our game nowadays and it seems it i staking the fans just as long to adjust as the players. I dont know how successful this will be in the long term, but there is only one way to find out if this works. Given the end of last season, I cant really see why we have a complaint about the club trying something new.

So, no, I wouldnt say short sighted or, even, particularly unambitious, given the amount we have stumped up front for Rodgers.
But, yes, I do sense that we may have striker issues - but I would like to see if our goal rate improves (yes, I know) with a more confident midfield.

these guys arent kids. im getting less and less happy with this apologist attitude that its okay whats happening,because these guys will grow into their roles. karacan, davies, pearce, chruch..theyre all 20. ian wright started his career than and is forever referred to as a 'late starter'. these guys are reserves (possible exception of karacan and pearce who has shows, albeit glimpses, of pure quality). they are reserves who have been promoted to the first team through the sale of better, more able players, and have been found wanting in terms of talent, commitment and technical ability.

there are glaring issues with this team that need adressing and, from an outsiders perspective, BR looks very happy to plod along, salvage (and for salvage read fluke) a 0-0 and then go on telly an say it was a respectable defensive performance (when it was anything but). its too early to savage him, he hasnt had a chance. but, as you say, given what we paid for him, being a total unknown with no creds but keeping watford up, he better be hiding some alf ramsey skills in there somewhere or i will be considerably greyer by may...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 19 Aug 2009 09:01

yuomi
Dr Hfuhruhurr

these guys arent kids. im getting less and less happy with this apologist attitude that its okay whats happening,because these guys will grow into their roles. karacan, davies, pearce, chruch..theyre all 20. these guys are reserves (possible exception of karacan and pearce who has shows, albeit glimpses, of pure quality). they are reserves who have been promoted to the first team through the sale of better, more able players, and have been found wanting in terms of talent, commitment and technical ability...

which of them lack commitment?

which of them lack technical ability or talent?

This lot can knock the ball about rather better than a lot of the experienced players we have sold.

What they lack is creativity, and that's been a problem for a very long time, and isn't just limited to the younger players. Kebe isn't creative. Harper isn't creative. Matejovsky, as much as I think he could be a great player for us, just isn't anywhere near creative as he should be as he and the rest of the squad aren't on the same wavelength. Gunnarsson isn't a creative player and neither is Tabb.

To play a 4-3-3 you need players who know how to pass and move on the edge of the box to create openings. Players in England just don't grow up playing that way, so they invariably lack the ability to play that style. To play a 4-4-2 you need players good at getting behind the defence and putting a cross in. We don't have anyone who does that.

Individually, I think pretty much all of the players who have come through the academy are fine and are all capable of playing well enough in this division (although Henry has been a bit of a disappointment). The problem is that they are very much round pegs in square holes when it comes to creating a team. We have no decent wide men to play a 4-4-2, and we don't have players capable of playing a 4-3-3 as they just don't have enough experience of the system to know how to make it work.

Slating BR isn't the answer, unless anyone really thinks anybody else would have this squad creating chances at will. Just a few days ago this board was full of people cheerfully greeting the sale of Stephen Hunt, saying how rubbish he was etc. His attitude may have been poor last season, as were many of his crosses, but that fact is he put in more crosses and created more chances than any other player in the championship last season. For all of his faults, he was our only genuinely creative player. Without creativity, we will struggle.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Aug 2009 09:15

weybridgewanderer
Focher its far too early to be getting this restless, the team needs time to bed in a get used to a different system of football.

But, the 1st 3 games have been utterly atrocious and if he doesn't sort this by the end of the transfer window then i will whole heartedly agree with the comments being made.

Quietly confident things will massively improve, but also very concerned we are gonna do a Southampton. Rodgers quickly needs to do what his slightly hairlipped mouth says.

How can you be quietly confident and very concerned? Nothing like hedging your bets is there?

if you look at the words i use then that should explain it hopefully.

Quietly Confident- Deep down somewhere is some confidence that i hope will be proven right

Very Concerned- Im outwardly worried in reality at the moment because we have not scored in 3 games and lost most of our best players.

i hope this explains it somewhat for you.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 Aug 2009 09:32

A few thoughts.

When Matty Upson came here on his 3 month loan, in his first game for us (away at Cambridge Utd in a League Cup game) he was shocking; all over the place, unfit and couldn't do a thing right (he was credited with our goal that night, but it deflected off him into the net.....) In other words, those writing Mills off after a single game are being a little premature IMHO.

Also:

Last season home to Nottm Forest - 0 points; this season, 1 point.

Last season away to Swansea - 0 points; this season, 1 point.

So things could be worse.

The new formation/players etc ARE GOING TO TAKE TIME to gel together; foaming at the mouth after 3 games is ridiculous! No-one gets promoted or relegated in August FFS. Young players coming up through the Academy is what clubs like ours need going forward, and whilst there will be undoubted set-backs - especially in the early days of the new regime - what the team needs is support rather than knee jerk criticism.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Aug 2009 09:42

Ideal
Mr Angry fo...after 3 games is ridiculous! No-one gets promoted or relegated in August FFS.

No, but the TRANSFER WINDOW ENDS in just A FEW DAYS, and then we'll be STUCK WITH WHAT WE HAVE UNTIL AFTER XMAS.
The current status is:
-our defence looks horrible, £2M spent on shit
-our midfield looks confused and helpless
-strikers couldn't score in a brothel

We are in for a horrible season if this continues, and that is why people are so upset. They can tell just how poorly we are doing at the moment.

No we won't as we can use the loan market - we will have bought again by the end of the window though.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Aug 2009 09:45

No-one gets promoted or relegated in August FFS.

What a truly trite statement - the games still count. They're still 2 or 3 dropped points.

All games count. We've missed out on taking advantage of 3 thus far.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 19 Aug 2009 09:55

yuomi these guys arent kids.

In footballing terms they are, until they get experience in games.
It isnt apologism - its tolerance - and thats the Reading gameplan for this part of the season. The club believe it will reap rewards and I hope they have the far sightedness to not make judgement after 3 games, or in Mills' case, 1 game.