Back from the game - Barnsley

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game - Barnsley

by andrew1957 » 25 Aug 2009 22:44

Well in terms of awfulness today really is one of the worst to be a RFC fan for quite a while.

First we (probably) lose out on Tommy Smith having messed about with the transfer for weeks. Then tonight an awful Barnsley side beat us reasonably comfortably.

There really was not a lot for us to get excited about. The young lads tried hard but again there was little cutting edge. At least we forced a few saves in the last 15 minutes but no one really shone out to me.

It could be a long season!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Back from the game - Barnsley

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2009 22:45

How bad did Bertrand's injury look?

What other left back options do we have?

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 25 Aug 2009 22:48

andrew1957 Well in terms of awfulness today really is one of the worst to be a RFC fan for quite a while.

First we (probably) lose out on Tommy Smith having messed about with the transfer for weeks. Then tonight an awful Barnsley side beat us reasonably comfortably.

There really was not a lot for us to get excited about. The young lads tried hard but again there was little cutting edge. At least we forced a few saves in the last 15 minutes but no one really shone out to me.

an honest perspective from a true fan, the so-called RTG's seem to think that it's still only wums and idiots who have had enough but when respected posters like andrew1857 join the throng you know that something is up

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 22:52

i thought there was a lot of good to come from that performance. first Bignall then Antonio showed pace and skills, we passed well around most of the pitch. disappointed with Henry, at times looked like he could not really be arsed.
Harper and Marek should have stood out, but did not.

Worth the £12 entrance cost for the OG alone.
We lost because they had a couple of big lads up front, and used their experience to boss most of the game, even then we could have won it, we deserved the equaliser, shame was not from one of our good moves in the few minutes earlier.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 25 Aug 2009 22:55

Pretty disheartening night all-round really. Two very poor teams and we were comfortably beaten you'd have to say.

Bertrand looked tidy in the first half, Noel looked good when he came on, Mooney had a couple of decent touches, and Davies showed a lot of endeavor, but other than that there really weren't any positives to take from the performance, and those mentioned aren't exactly anything to get excited about.

The build-up was far too slow, decision making was questionable, and the shape of the team looked unconvincing.

I don't like to victimise, because no individual was to blame for the defeat, but a special mention goes to James Henry, who was utterly, utterly terrible tonight.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 25 Aug 2009 22:55

Harpers So Solid Crew i thought there was a lot of good to come from that performance. first Bignall then Antonio showed pace and skills, we passed well around most of the pitch. disappointed with Henry, at times looked like he could not really be arsed.
Harper and Marek should have stood out, but did not.

Worth the £12 entrance cost for the OG alone.
We lost because they had a couple of big lads up front, and used their experience to boss most of the game, even then we could have won it, we deserved the equaliser, shame was not from one of our good moves in the few minutes earlier.

How many times, with the current personnel, do you think that your summary is likely to be repeated this season?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 25 Aug 2009 23:01

There will not be as many teams a s poor as barnsley, but they used the experience to win the match. I would say there will be more games witha similar scenario and summary, however at some point if it all clicks then we can see a few points taken.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Aug 2009 23:03

Agreed it's a pretty black day for RFC today, but by god there have been many in our past that have been blacker, and a comedy own-goal is always worth paying a tenner for.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 23:03

Gus the teenage cow
andrew1957 Well in terms of awfulness today really is one of the worst to be a RFC fan for quite a while.

an honest perspective from a true fan, the so-called RTG's seem to think that it's still only wums and idiots who have had enough but when respected posters like andrew1857 join the throng you know that something is up

+1

shoey

by shoey » 25 Aug 2009 23:05

+1

good report and understanding of our young boys

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Aug 2009 23:10

Thomas L'Heureux Pretty disheartening night all-round really. Two very poor teams and we were comfortably beaten you'd have to say.

Bertrand looked tidy in the first half, Noel looked good when he came on, Mooney had a couple of decent touches, and Davies showed a lot of endeavor, but other than that there really weren't any positives to take from the performance, and those mentioned aren't exactly anything to get excited about.

The build-up was far too slow, decision making was questionable, and the shape of the team looked unconvincing.

I don't like to victimise, because no individual was to blame for the defeat, but a special mention goes to James Henry, who was utterly, utterly terrible tonight.

:|

I thought Henry was OK tonight. At least he showed some cutting edge.......unlike the appalling Mooney. No way is that guy ever going to get in our first team. Useless.

Harper similarly crap. Fuck off to wolves please.

Marek was good. Lost the ball a fair bit, but showed some fantastic touches.

Bignall and Antonio were decent.

We looked 10x better in a 4-4-2.

Ratings:
Hamer - 7
Kelly - 5
Pearce - 5
Gunnar - 6
Bertrand - 6
Harper - 3
Marek - 7
Davies - 5
Henry - 6
Bignall - 7
Mooney - 4

Tabb - 6
Antonio - 7
N Hunt - 7

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Aug 2009 23:11

Is that a joke?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Aug 2009 23:13

5 games against Championship opposition this season. 1 goal scored by a Reading player and that a centre-half. It really is stonkingly exciting stuff following Reading isn't it.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 25 Aug 2009 23:16

winchester_royal
Thomas L'Heureux Pretty disheartening night all-round really. Two very poor teams and we were comfortably beaten you'd have to say.

:|

I thought Henry was OK tonight. At least he showed some cutting edge.......unlike the appalling Mooney. No way is that guy ever going to get in our first team. Useless.

Harper similarly crap. Fuck off to wolves please.

Marek was good. Lost the ball a fair bit, but showed some fantastic touches.

Bignall and Antonio were decent.

We looked 10x better in a 4-4-2.

Ratings:
Hamer - 7
Kelly - 5
Pearce - 5
Gunnar - 6
Bertrand - 6
Harper - 3
Marek - 7
Davies - 5
Henry - 6
Bignall - 7
Mooney - 4

Tabb - 6
Antonio - 7
N Hunt - 7

Cutting edge?! Henry showed nothing but poor close control and selfishness tonight. He was awful in my opinion. Not once did he deliver a decent set-piece, and the audacity he showed to hide the ball behind his back and not let Davies or Hunt have a sniff of the free-kick that Davies won through all of his own work was pretty poor. Not only that, but he tamely floated the ball into Steele's arms with the effort.

Like I said with Mooney, he showed a couple of good touches. I'm not saying he had a great game at all, but I also admitted I was scraping the barrel for positives. He dinked the ball over a defender's head in the box a few times and made a chance for himself, and showed a few examples of a good first touch, but not much else. Like I said, nothing to get carried away about so don't read too much into it, please.

Marek looked a yard behind everyone else tonight, and when he was in possession it was the same old him. One pretty decent pass followed by two poor ones unfortunately. And I am a fan of his too.

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 25 Aug 2009 23:16

We lost because they had a couple of big lads up front

And here in lies the problem. A lot of championship teams use this tatic and its one we're shit at coping with.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 25 Aug 2009 23:16

floyd__streete 5 games against Championship opposition this season. 1 goal scored by a Reading player and that a centre-half. It really is stonkingly exciting stuff following Reading isn't it.

Equally, 50% of all goals we scored against Championship opposition have been own goals as well... ...just proves we don't need strikers anymore, or wingers or midfielders.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 23:18

floyd__streete 5 games against Championship opposition this season. 1 goal scored by a Reading player and that a centre-half. It really is stonkingly exciting stuff following Reading isn't it.

Weren't we promised quality attacking & passing football? Last time we heard that was Burns, and we're getting similar results.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Aug 2009 23:19

winchester_royal

Is that a joke?

No - Barnsley were awful and if it had not been for the comedy own goal I think we could have played until this time tomorrow without one of our players scoring - so IMO Barnsley looked comfortable after they scored. A decent side would have scored at least one of the three excellent chances they had in the first half.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 25 Aug 2009 23:19

Ian Royal

Weren't we promised quality attacking & passing football? Last time we heard that was Burns, and we're getting similar results.

Yes, we get to see a new team each week display this.

Remember, the cloth needs to be cut. Oh yess.
Last edited by Thou Voice on 25 Aug 2009 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 25 Aug 2009 23:20

we looked much better for the last 15 minutes after we went 4 4 2

actually forced a goalkeeper to make some saves!

better than we have done all season