Rodgers Revolution

165 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Rodgers Revolution

by andrew1957 » 02 Sep 2009 13:23

Well for better or for worse part one of the Rodgers Revolution has been completed. The old 106 points team is all but gone and has been replaced by a more flexible breed of players - who can (hopefully) play a system other than 4-4-2.

The truth is that under Steve Coppell we were only able to play 4-4-2. Whenever we tried to play 4-5-1 we looked awful.

It is easy to see that Rodgers will pay a very different way - sometimes 4-3-3-(or more likely 4-2-1-2-1) and sometimes a 4-4-2 with a midfield diamond.

The full backs will provide the width - hence the need for young fit athletic players in this role - as we will not be playing with traditional wingers.

I suspect that we will play the first way against lower ranked teams as it is more attacking and the 4-4-2 diamond against the top teams, as it can soak up pressure better if necessary.

This will give us a more flexible tactical way of playing as we can even vary between the two systems in a game if needed. It is certainly the way that Chelsea play very successfully and if we are in the long run going to become a fixture in the PL we need to be able to vary tactics more.

Much as I loved Steve Coppell he did prove himself unable to offer anything other than 4-4-2 and when other teams worked us out in the second PL season and again in the second half of last season we were toast.

Time will tell if Rodgers can get the players to do what he wants and if we have the quality but it will be an interesting season.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rodgers Revolution

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Sep 2009 13:25

well measured post there, if it works then BR can bring us success, if not, well we would not have done so well with Coppell this season, like many of the players last season was his swan song at RFC.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 02 Sep 2009 13:29

So wot

well never win anything wiv a team of chelski rejects and playas who cudn't even make it into championship teams. Wheres da money gon? we cant be that bad off if we canlet our to best palyas go for nuthing.

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2009 13:37

Well for better or for worse part one of the Rodgers Revolution has been completed ...

Let's actually appraise this after more than 1 win in the season.

40 something cup finals to go, ey?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Sep 2009 13:38

Yes- the 106 car boot sale all gone and replaced by youth players who couldn't amass 100 league appearences between them. Will this work, time will tell. I will Never forget that day at leicester away but thats a distant memory and this club is far from the strength and stature of the club it was back then when we had momentum. I expected a changes and as a result of coppell going, maybe a restructure of the team- thats cutting cloth a bit. However, forcing everyone out who is on a wage just for the sake they are on a decent wage is shocking- its like we are southampton or leeds when we've never spent anything near what they have, how is this clubs finances that poorly managed we have to result in a clear out of the whole squad?
For the first time in 9 years I really don't know what this club is supposed to be anymore and what are ambitions/strategy is.
Its great we have youth players coming through and there are some good teams in this division to make it interesting at the top, but we won't be anywhere near competing with the top sides for a long time- if ever again under the current regime.

Reading have a new manager, a new team and I thank madejski for his efforts for the club but we need a new leadership. Not a big foreign investor but someone passionate about a new era with plans to move forward and take us on. Someone who is hungry for a challenge- something madejski has long since lost.

Its not even about money really, I just want someone in who wants to be here who has plans and ambitions- who can relate to a football fans mentality.

It Is What It Is

by It Is What It Is » 02 Sep 2009 13:44

donface So wot

well never win anything wiv a team of chelski rejects and playas who cudn't even make it into championship teams. Wheres da money gon? we cant be that bad off if we canlet our to best palyas go for nuthing.

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

Your a bit of a cxnt aren't you :lol:

Pretty much everyone here called for some new players, a new look to the team & thats what we have got, and just look at how many possibilites of starting line-ups we have that could actually do a decent job in different formations, compared to the old 4-4-2 same team every game we had a few seasons back.

We have;
An Australian international in Fed
Two Chelsea players in Bertrand & Cummings
An previous england u19 player in Mills
A Celtic & Republic of Ireland U21 player in O'dea
An Icelandic U21 in Siggy

... and i cant be asked to go through the rest, i have coursework to do, but you get my drift biatch.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 02 Sep 2009 13:45

donface So wot

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

Did you go to school?

Wot is what
Well is we'll
Wiv is with
Playas is players
Cudn't is couldn't
Wheres is where's
Da i can only assume is the
Gon is gone
Canlet is can let
Nuthing is nothing

Plus you spelt our managers and chairmans names wrong.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2009 13:50

^^^

Pedant fail.

MalcybabyRFC

by MalcybabyRFC » 02 Sep 2009 13:51

W&E Royal
donface So wot

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

Did you go to school?

Wot is what
Well is we'll
Wiv is with
Playas is players
Cudn't is couldn't
Wheres is where's
Gon is gone
Canlet is can let
Nuthing is nothing

Classic :lol: :lol: :lol:

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 02 Sep 2009 13:53

Donface caught a few fish with that one. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 02 Sep 2009 13:56

skillz

koran

by koran » 02 Sep 2009 13:57

W&E Royal
donface So wot

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

Did you go to school?

Wot is what
Well is we'll
Wiv is with
Playas is players
Cudn't is couldn't
Wheres is where's
Gon is gone
Canlet is can let
Nuthing is nothing

Plus ....

'So what' should be 'So what?' (Question mark)
'well' should be 'We'll' (Capital letter)
'we cant' should be 'We can't'
'bad' should be 'badly'
'to' should be 'two'

oh - and 'chelski' should be 'Chelski'!!

and to W&E Royal

'managers and chairmans' should be 'manager's and chairman's' :wink:

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 02 Sep 2009 14:01

We've done our business in the transfer market, now we wait and see.

Remember it took 2 and a half seasons for Coppell to get it right, lets hope given the same time Rogers can do the same!!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Sep 2009 14:05

FiNeRaIn Yes- the 106 car boot sale all gone and replaced by youth players who couldn't amass 100 league appearences between them. Will this work, time will tell. I will Never forget that day at leicester away but thats a distant memory and this club is far from the strength and stature of the club it was back then when we had momentum. I expected a changes and as a result of coppell going, maybe a restructure of the team- thats cutting cloth a bit. However, forcing everyone out who is on a wage just for the sake they are on a decent wage is shocking- its like we are southampton or leeds when we've never spent anything near what they have, how is this clubs finances that poorly managed we have to result in a clear out of the whole squad?
For the first time in 9 years I really don't know what this club is supposed to be anymore and what are ambitions/strategy is.
Its great we have youth players coming through and there are some good teams in this division to make it interesting at the top, but we won't be anywhere near competing with the top sides for a long time- if ever again under the current regime.

Reading have a new manager, a new team and I thank madejski for his efforts for the club but we need a new leadership. Not a big foreign investor but someone passionate about a new era with plans to move forward and take us on. Someone who is hungry for a challenge- something madejski has long since lost.

Its not even about money really, I just want someone in who wants to be here who has plans and ambitions- who can relate to a football fans mentality.

Some fair points,

I believe one of the biggest strengths of the 106 team was a group of youngish players who had never been there and done it, few had even 'done it' at Championship level growing together over a period of years.

USA - Came from being a No2 at Fulham - Free

Murty - High Flying winger at York, converted to a right back - 700k
Sonko - Playing in a good/average league 2 side -Free
Ivar - Played a few games for Wolves in the Championship but was loaned to Brighton - 175k
Shorey - Plucked from Orient, was thrust into first team at a young age - 25k

Little - Didn't set the world alight when he went to the PL with Bolton, good player from Burnley - Free
Convey - Disaster in his first season, highly promising player from abroad - 800k(?)
Sidwell - Highly touted at Arsenal, had played mostly in Division 2 for Brentford before we got him - 500k(?)
Harper - Again highly touted at Arsenal, hadn't played competitive football above League 2 when we signed him -400k

Kitson - Had already given up on football once, then was scoring goals in the lower leagues with Cambridge- 150k
Lita - Former Chelski kid, banged in goals at Bristol City in Div2, club record signing - 1 million
Doyle - We all know the tale - 75k

The rest

Hunt - Almost ended up at Bradford
Oster - Failed at a string of clubs
Gunnar - Sturdy and unspectacular Championship midfielder
Long - Just a kid from Cork
Makin - Journeyman fullback
Stack - Highly touted but largely untested at higher levels

Forgive me if I'm missing out or have the fees wrong.

Basically that team was given years to gel, patched up inbetween with a few old heads who never made it to the Prem. My point being that people should remember how we built success in the first place rather then claim we're doing things the wrong way. If spending less then £4-5 million pounds got us into the PL before, who's to say it can't again?

MalcybabyRFC

by MalcybabyRFC » 02 Sep 2009 14:08

I can’t wait for the international break to be over.

I am totally behind Rodgers and his plans to shape Reading into a young, dynamic squad, building good relationships with the top SPL & Premier league clubs for loan & buying purposes just like our competitors have done and where we have failed in the past.

Rodgers has spent most of his career to date working and developing youth players for both us and Chelsea. I can fully understand his ideas and I am just thankful we have a manager who knows something about young talent, where to look for it and finally how to get the best from them!!!!

I’m sad to see the back of SSC promotion boys and I was scared that we were loosing our identity that we had worked hard to achieve. I may temporarily miss the period where if I mention Reading FC to my mates, automatically they come up with the names of Doyle, Hunt, Lita, Bikey, and obviously Coppel but I also appreciate this has now happened and look forward to the new era under what could be the greatest ever manager Reading FC has ever seen.

Im a loyal royal and although these past couple of months have been a roller coaster im excited about what’s to come.
COME ON URZZZZZZZ

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 02 Sep 2009 14:10

Wimb
FiNeRaIn Yes- the 106 car boot sale all gone and replaced by youth players who couldn't amass 100 league appearences between them. Will this work, time will tell. I will Never forget that day at leicester away but thats a distant memory and this club is far from the strength and stature of the club it was back then when we had momentum. I expected a changes and as a result of coppell going, maybe a restructure of the team- thats cutting cloth a bit. However, forcing everyone out who is on a wage just for the sake they are on a decent wage is shocking- its like we are southampton or leeds when we've never spent anything near what they have, how is this clubs finances that poorly managed we have to result in a clear out of the whole squad?

Some fair points,

I believe one of the biggest strengths of the 106 team was a group of youngish players who had never been there and done it, few had even 'done it' at Championship level growing together over a period of years.

USA - Came from being a No2 at Fulham - Free

Murty - High Flying winger at York, converted to a right back - 700k
Sonko - Playing in a good/average league 2 side -Free
Ivar - Played a few games for Wolves in the Championship but was loaned to Brighton - 175k
Shorey - Plucked from Orient, was thrust into first team at a young age - 25k

Little - Didn't set the world alight when he went to the PL with Bolton, good player from Burnley - Free
Convey - Disaster in his first season, highly promising player from abroad - 800k(?)
Sidwell - Highly touted at Arsenal, had played mostly in Division 2 for Brentford before we got him - 500k(?)
Harper - Again highly touted at Arsenal, hadn't played competitive football above League 2 when we signed him -400k

Kitson - Had already given up on football once, then was scoring goals in the lower leagues with Cambridge- 150k
Lita - Former Chelski kid, banged in goals at Bristol City in Div2, club record signing - 1 million
Doyle - We all know the tale - 75k

The rest

Hunt - Almost ended up at Bradford
Oster - Failed at a string of clubs
Gunnar - Sturdy and unspectacular Championship midfielder
Long - Just a kid from Cork
Makin - Journeyman fullback
Stack - Highly touted but largely untested at higher levels

Forgive me if I'm missing out or have the fees wrong.

Basically that team was given years to gel, patched up inbetween with a few old heads who never made it to the Prem. My point being that people should remember how we built success in the first place rather then claim we're doing things the wrong way. If spending less then £4-5 million pounds got us into the PL before, who's to say it can't again?

Wot e sed. (i.e. What he Said)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2009 14:11

My point being that people should remember how we built success in the first place rather then claim we're doing things the wrong way.

Hmmm

The bit that bugs me is that the fans seem to have forgotten how we got there in the first place. We bought young players in and let them develop in a side.

The majority of our best players came from relative obscurity a few years before we, and they, peaked.

Sidwell, a then-20 year old, with a record of a handful of spells on loan at various League 1 and 2 clubs.
Harper, also 20, with very little real experience under his belt
Hahnemann, rejected by Villa for Peter Enckelman, a handful of games at Fulham and a spell at Rochdale.
Kitson
Shorey, 19? when we brought him in
Sonko
Team Irish

That we were not looking at players like this (but up a level, as it were - players like, for example, Cahill and Gardner instead of/to replace Duberry and Bryn) while we were in the Premiership is why we're having to do such a root and branch change now. But it actually appears like we're trying to give players a chance to get their experience together.

Its why signings like Mills and O'Dea make me smile. Mills is 23 so has a good decade in front of him and centrebacks certainly take time to mature. O'Dea likewise. We've a squad of youngsters but none significantly younger than the likes of Shorey, Harper and Sidwell when they first came here.

The major difference, I think, is that we had a few steadier ships around them but BR seems to have worked out that he needs that as well. Hence the returns of Hunt and Bryn at what appeared to be the first opportunity. Hence the signing of Rasiak (30) and McAnuff (27), players with a good few years of experience at this level under their belt.

There's also one other thing that I don't get. Do you honestly think we'd be doing much better under Coppell this season? I really, honestly, truthfully don't. Look at the second half of last season - THAT'S what we have to compare ourselves with. The same financial constraints would almost certainly apply and, whilst you might say "Ah, but he'll find another Doyle somewhere", the man responsible for much of our transfers is still at the club and, equally validly, that Doyle might turn out to be a Fae or a Bennett.

Wot e sed. (i.e. What he Said)

Thanks for feeling the need to make that clear.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 02 Sep 2009 14:13

koran
W&E Royal
donface So wot

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

Did you go to school?

Wot is what
Well is we'll
Wiv is with
Playas is players
Cudn't is couldn't
Wheres is where's
Gon is gone
Canlet is can let
Nuthing is nothing

Plus ....

'So what' should be 'So what?' (Question mark)
'well' should be 'We'll' (Capital letter)
'we cant' should be 'We can't'
'bad' should be 'badly'
'to' should be 'two'

oh - and 'chelski' should be 'Chelski'!!

and to W&E Royal

'managers and chairmans' should be 'manager's and chairman's' :wink:

Thanks for them, i didn't want to correct all of them!! Ha ha. According to my Microsoft Outlook it's managers, Chairman's. I presume Chairman should have a capital letter.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 02 Sep 2009 14:14

With the obvious breaking up of the 106 side BR is by miles the best man to take us forward, good with young players he is going to change the style that we have become used to, for the better I must add, give him time and he will do a job for us.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 02 Sep 2009 14:16

donface So wot

ROGERS OUT
MADJESKI OUT
HAMMOND OUT

can someone please translate this for me? call me old fashioned but I recognise the letters just not the words they've created?? :roll:

165 posts