You're the manager - what would you do?

169 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

You're the manager - what would you do?

by TBM » 21 Sep 2009 09:58

So Rodgers doesn't know his strongest team yet - do you?
The loan window is open - who would you bring in (realistically)?
What formation would you play?
What style of football would you play?

Lots of people are moaning about Rodgers on here, but in all honestly what would you do - if you were manager?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: You're the manager - what would you do?

by Schards#2 » 21 Sep 2009 10:02

TBM So Rodgers doesn't know his strongest team yet - do you?

Lots of people are moaning about Rodgers on here, but in all honestly what would you do - if you were manager?

oxf*rd knows, but then i'm not a competent and experienced football league manager.

Ahh, I think i've found the problem.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 21 Sep 2009 10:03

Resign :lol:

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 21 Sep 2009 10:10

Terminal Boardom Resign :lol:

No he can't resign, he'd never get another managerial job with this present record.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Sep 2009 10:11

I'd be on the phone to Steve Coppell for some advice.

(That's going to annoy a few people, but it's true.)

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Sep 2009 10:12

I'd stop fannying about with pretty formations and go with 4-4-2. I'd dump my Big Book of Soccer Tactics in favour of speaking to my coaching staff and, if necessary, asking JM and Hammond for a more experienced bloke to come in and takeover some of the coaching. I'd be slightly more measured in what I say to the media and I wouldn't try and big up the fans when I know that the majority of them are mightily pizzed off.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Sep 2009 10:17

Play 442 with wingers to provide the width. If this isn't working then change it.

Don't just have two formations in you locker (neither of which are a standard 442) as you are unable to adapt to what the opposition does.

Play a settled team so that they get an understanding of each other and do not tinker with the lineup every match.

Continue with a passing game and bring no-one in on loan. The players are good enough.

It's all about the formation.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Sep 2009 10:17

I'd probably just continue doing what I'm doing, continue training the team towards the style of football I want them to play, continue to turn out performances that are rarely second best to our opposition, and take some measure of relief when the team starts to get some positive results.

Oh and play Kebe more coz he's skillz.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 21 Sep 2009 10:20

I would continue working hard, with the wisdom to know that jobs such as the one at Reading take time. The players are all fine for this level of football but they are all learning as they go - perhaps if the team is still in trouble in January look to bring somebody in.

Apologies to all the NOW! NOW! NOW! fans, but you're going to have to wait a couple of years before you see a team challenging for promotion.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Sep 2009 10:21

If the players are all fine at this level, why on earth do you think we'll be struggling come January and will need to bring some more in?? :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2009 10:29

I like a lot of what Rodgers has done, and I think he's doing OK considering the amount of changes enforced on the squad because of the necessary moving on of players over the summer.

I'm disappointed by a couple of his moves in the transfer market. I know he worked with Rasiak before but I just can't see how he'll be effective in this style of play with the rest of the players we've got. If I were Rodgers I'd still be looking for a forward who'd give us more of a physical presence and is still capable of running (Marcus Bent was mentioned in the rumours section before the window closed and I do think someone like him or Marlon King would've been a better option).

After sorting out a decent centre forward on loan I'd be looking, as RL suggested, to pick more of a settled side. Personally that wouldn't include Howard but he's Rodgers man so it's unlikely he'll be dropping out of the picture for a while. I'd be looking to keep Hunt in the side as opposed to playing kids who just aren't up to the task yet and giving whatever selection I go for 3 games to bed in and prove me rigth or wrong.

Despite a lot of what's been said, I do believe it's almost there. We were very good in the first half at Peterborough and we more than held our own against Cardiff during the week, but we do that cutting edge at the business end of things.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Sep 2009 10:32

sheshnu I would continue working hard, with the wisdom to know that jobs such as the one at Reading take time. The players are all fine for this level of football but they are all learning as they go - perhaps if the team is still in trouble in January look to bring somebody in.

Apologies to all the NOW! NOW! NOW! fans, but you're going to have to wait a couple of years before you see a team challenging for promotion.

To be fair this isn't about NOW NOW NOW for a promotion challenge. It's about dealing with the first relegation early warning sign of the season. Up till Saturday we were not exactly pulling up trees, but at least we could say that we'd only lost to promotion candidates, and as long as we continued to pick up points and make progress against also-rans and strugglers we would be fine. Well, I don't know if you were there on Saturday, but there was a marked drop in standard against a hard-working but pretty average bottom third team. If we can't get something out of a match like that, something needs to be done sharpish otherwise confidence will drop through the floor. This is now nothing to do with wanting a promotion challenge, it's to do with not wanting to get into a scrap for survival. With one win in eight, it's a fair question to ask how we might try to stop the rot.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 21 Sep 2009 10:35

Royal Lady If the players are all fine at this level, why on earth do you think we'll be struggling come January and will need to bring some more in?? :|

I don't.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 21 Sep 2009 10:44

CMRoyal To be fair this isn't about NOW NOW NOW for a promotion challenge. It's about dealing with the first relegation early warning sign of the season. Up till Saturday we were not exactly pulling up trees, but at least we could say that we'd only lost to promotion candidates, and as long as we continued to pick up points and make progress against also-rans and strugglers we would be fine. Well, I don't know if you were there on Saturday, but there was a marked drop in standard against a hard-working but pretty average bottom third team. If we can't get something out of a match like that, something needs to be done sharpish otherwise confidence will drop through the floor. This is now nothing to do with wanting a promotion challenge, it's to do with not wanting to get into a scrap for survival. With one win in eight, it's a fair question to ask how we might try to stop the rot.

Fair enough you've obviously watched the team more than I have this season, but I don't think anything disastrous has happened so far. On the face of it a narrow defeat away from home isn't that disappointing for a young team, but the manner of it could potentially damage confidence. I think the signs are there that the team are able to improve and they are nowhere near running out of time yet; if they can survive in the division this year and build on that next year then I will be content as a fan.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 10:47

TBM So Rodgers doesn't know his strongest team yet - do you?

I'd admit I didn't know what I was doing and in order not to inflict further damage on a team I loved I would resign
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 21 Sep 2009 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 10:50

Maguire I'd probably just continue doing what I'm doing, continue training the team towards the style of football I want them to play, continue to turn out performances that are rarely second best to our opposition, and take some measure of relief when the team starts to get some positive results.

rarely second best? W1 D3 L4

That suggest we have been 2nd best on 4 occasions out of 8

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 10:55

sheshnu I would continue working hard, with the wisdom to know that jobs such as the one at Reading take time. The players are all fine for this level of football but they are all learning as they go - perhaps if the team is still in trouble in January look to bring somebody in.

If this keeps up that promotion challenge in a couple of years will be from league 2 to league 1!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Sep 2009 10:57

CMRoyal I'd be on the phone to Steve Coppell for some advice.
Better than phoning Mouriniho.... "Well Brendan, I think you should just spend some of the chairmans money and buy 11 more players. It's what I did at Chelsea"

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 21 Sep 2009 10:57

weybridgewanderer
Maguire I'd probably just continue doing what I'm doing, continue training the team towards the style of football I want them to play, continue to turn out performances that are rarely second best to our opposition, and take some measure of relief when the team starts to get some positive results.

rarely second best? W1 D3 L4

That suggest we have been 2nd best on 4 occasions out of 8

he said performances not results

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 21 Sep 2009 11:01

I thought I sensed a change in BR's temperament in the post match interview on saturday. Although still seemingly calm on the surface you could feel there was some real anger simmering underneath. For the first time he did not totally praise his players and expressions like "not good enough" and "they'll need to learn quickly" we don't normally hear. I would expect training to be slightly more unpleasant than it normally is this week and would hope for a reaction next Saturday.

169 posts