Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

123 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

by andrew1957 » 21 Sep 2009 10:39

I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Clearly a great deal of change was needed going forwards and Rodgers promised that. Most of us thought he was the right man for the job.

Frankly his start has been disastrous - but any manager deserves at least half a season. In this division even if the worst happens and we are in the relegation zone at Christmas, there is every chance that a new manager will give us a fighting change of survival - so let us not be hasty.

At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

On balance if he is given half a seaosn I still thing Rodgers will turn the form round and we will be moving up the table.

It is far too early to panic after just 8 games.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rodgers - let us all get some perspective

by Wax Jacket » 21 Sep 2009 10:48

it's not going to wash. you're clearly not a rabid enough Reading fan.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Sep 2009 10:48

Agree 100% with you andrew1957.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 21 Sep 2009 10:50

andrew1957 I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Clearly a great deal of change was needed going forwards and Rodgers promised that. Most of us thought he was the right man for the job.

Frankly his start has been disastrous - but any manager deserves at least half a season. In this division even if the worst happens and we are in the relegation zone at Christmas, there is every chance that a new manager will give us a fighting change of survival - so let us not be hasty.

At Watford Rodgers suffered a similar slow start and ended up being respected by the fans. A couple of wins and everything will look rosier.

On balance if he is given half a seaosn I still thing Rodgers will turn the form round and we will be moving up the table.

Something that has been said 100 times or more on here and something that most knowledgeable people would agree with.

I think it will be turned around sooner rather than later as we have a good, albeit young, squad and the potential is there to see.

If it isn't back on track by the New Year then a new approach will definately need to be looked at as we don't want to do a 'Southampton' of last season and keep hoping and hoping the kids will come good until it is too late.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2009 11:00

As I've asked in another thread - what would people actually like to happen now?

Sacking a manager outside a transfer window would surely cause more disruption and grief than giving them another two months to get things right?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Sep 2009 11:09

Dirk Gently As I've asked in another thread - what would people actually like to happen now?

Sacking a manager outside a transfer window would surely cause more disruption and grief than giving them another two months to get things right?

sacking a manager now gives the new bloke an oportunity to see what he has and what he needs prior to the next window

If we wait till january and then get rid we then have to appoint a new man who then needs to assess the squad and decide what he needs all within about 4 weeks

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Sep 2009 11:10

andrew1957 I was a great supporter of Steve Coppell, but by the end of his time here he was clearly drained and had nothing left to give. The team was in free fall when you look at results after January.

Balanced views and rational thinking have no place of The Team board, my friend.

I loved it on Saturday when half-time saw chants of Brendan Rodgers' Barmy Army and "Brendan, give us a wave" and full-time a chorus of booing, calls for Rodgers' head and so on. If ever Reading fans could be summed up in 45 minutes.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 21 Sep 2009 11:14

weybridgewanderer
Dirk Gently As I've asked in another thread - what would people actually like to happen now?

sacking a manager now gives the new bloke an oportunity to see what he has and what he needs prior to the next window

If we wait till january and then get rid we then have to appoint a new man who then needs to assess the squad and decide what he needs all within about 4 weeks

If we are in the Shite come Xmas then any manager coming in would get a pretty quick idea as to what needs to be done.

Personally from the outset I gave Rodgers 10 games before I start to judge him. 5 in August and 5 after the transfer window closed. That gives him Watford and Preston next week and then I will judge him from Boro onwards. Even then I think I am being harsh.

Some want his head now after just 8 games... that is just ludicrous.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Sep 2009 11:56

Rodgers got 9 points from his first 10 matches at Watford, and that was from a settled team.

Here he has 6 from 8 with a completely new team that is still getting to know each other.

By Christmas we should really be seeing if he is going to work out or not.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Sep 2009 11:59

Wycombe Royal Rodgers got 9 points from his first 10 matches at Watford, and that was from a settled team.

Here he has 6 from 8 with a completely new team that is still getting to know each other.

By Christmas we should really be seeing if he is going to work out or not.

Interesting stats, thanks.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 21 Sep 2009 12:00

Wouldn't you expect any potential replacement manager, worth his salt, to run the rule over a prospective new employer's assets and apply for and attend an interview with a pedigree, an idea, game plan, solution, strategy and tactics in his hot sticky hand. The man that does that would IMHO be seriously worthy of consideration. Sounds like the Alan Curbishley way!

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 21 Sep 2009 12:06

Dorset-Knob Wouldn't you expect any potential replacement manager, worth his salt, to run the rule over a prospective new employer's assets and apply for and attend an interview with a pedigree, an idea, game plan, solution, strategy and tactics in his hot sticky hand. The man that does that would IMHO be seriously worthy of consideration. Sounds like the Alan Curbishley way!

I haven't seen any evidence that Curbishley ever applied for the job in the summer and what makes you think he will now? Please come back with a better and more realistic alternative or suggestion on who we should have appointed.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 21 Sep 2009 12:07

Agreed.

To a large extent, the problem is one of motivation. If BR could get the players to treat each match as a cup final, I think we'd be fine.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2009 12:10

Baines ......Agreed.

To a large extent, the problem is one of motivation. If BR could get the players to treat each match as a cup final, I think we'd be fine.

I think the lessons learned on Saturday - and the bollocking afterwards - will work wonders on that front.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 21 Sep 2009 12:22

I was there at Elm Park
Dorset-Knob Wouldn't you expect any potential replacement manager, worth his salt, to run the rule over a prospective new employer's assets and apply for and attend an interview with a pedigree, an idea, game plan, solution, strategy and tactics in his hot sticky hand. The man that does that would IMHO be seriously worthy of consideration. Sounds like the Alan Curbishley way!

I haven't seen any evidence that Curbishley ever applied for the job in the summer and what makes you think he will now? Please come back with a better and more realistic alternative or suggestion on who we should have appointed.

err! for Curbishley read, any manager with the nous to do the job, would be prepared ahead of time! HTH :wink:

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 21 Sep 2009 12:34

Maguire

Balanced views and rational thinking have no place of The Team board, my friend.

I loved it on Saturday when half-time saw chants of Brendan Rodgers' Barmy Army and "Brendan, give us a wave" and full-time a chorus of booing, calls for Rodgers' head and so on. If ever Reading fans could be summed up in 45 minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, piss off and leave it to us alcoholics, schizophrenics and mentally unbalanced people. Common sense indeed, how very dare you.

Matron - the pills please.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 21 Sep 2009 12:51

Why would it? I don't agree a change is needed just yet, but if it was made, the new manager would have a couple of months to get to know his team and their weaknesses, ready for the trasnfer window in January. For me, that's ideal. No need to panic by, if you will.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 21 Sep 2009 12:52

I'm just not convinced his style of management actually works.

He'll be given time, cause JM for all his faults isn't a knee jerk kinda guy and will give Rodgers the chance to prove himself either way.

Think it may be time to go a bit more old school in his style....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Sep 2009 13:01

(.)Boobies(.)

Why would it? I don't agree a change is needed just yet, but if it was made, the new manager would have a couple of months to get to know his team and their weaknesses, ready for the trasnfer window in January. For me, that's ideal. No need to panic by, if you will.
A manager with more tactical nous might be able to get something out of the players we currently have, in any case.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Sep 2009 13:07

Posting optimism and positivity on a HNA? forum is like water off a duck's back.
It doesn't affect them.

123 posts