165 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: James Henry - LOL

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2009 15:39

Schards#2
Stranded
Schards#2 I would have thought he could do a job coming off the bench up front or replacing Church when he's out of form/needs a break.

Hard to believe he would be a worse option than Long.

Not only has he had few chances at Reading but he's done pretty well in the limited pitch time he's had. Furthermore, look at some of the goals he's scored for Bournemouth and Millwall. There are plenty of players, Long included, who will never score goals of that quality, whatever level they were playing at.

Maybe the manager believes he is better served getting 90 mins week in week out than possibly getting on for 15mins out of position?

But surely, the whole point of Reading employing him is to get the best out of him for Reading rather than getting what's best for James Henry. If he's a better option on our bench than the alternatives, that's where he should be.

Obviously, I have no idea if he's a disruptive influence or has some attitude problem but, excluding that, he doesn't seem to have been given much opportunity and is a player who can score goals regularly which is something we are crying out for.

I agree it is and perhaps he feels that Henry is not the sort of player that you get the best from off the bench - of course this all conjecture but there is clearly some reason why a manager who was bigging Henry up almost more than any player in pre-season has felt the need to send him elsewhere.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 16 Nov 2009 15:51

Schards#2 I would have thought he could do a job coming off the bench up front or replacing Church when he's out of form/needs a break.

Hard to believe he would be a worse option than Long.

Not only has he had few chances at Reading but he's done pretty well in the limited pitch time he's had. Furthermore, look at some of the goals he's scored for Bournemouth and Millwall. There are plenty of players, Long included, who will never score goals of that quality, whatever level they were playing at.

So Schards, are you saying you would play Henry up front rather than on the wing? I'm a little confused by this.

Having seen some of the defending and the positioning of div 3/4 goalkeepers this season I would predict even Longy would score for either Bournemouth or Millwall.

If we're basing this assumption merely on goals scores, surely Mills would command a place on the bench over Long?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Nov 2009 16:02

When I said "end of thread", I seriously didn't think that this could still be going. I just can't see how he merits a place in a CCC team.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 16 Nov 2009 16:32

Sun Tzu To be fair to Long he has scored some crackers - was it a cup game where he chased an absolute lost cause and then slammed it in from a ridiculous angle ?

Yes I did.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 16 Nov 2009 16:34

brendywendy I saw that long goal.dont remember at what level it was at,but it was at some level. Chased a lost cause,skinned a dèfender, rifled in near post from 18 yards + and from a yard back from the goal line.one of the best goals ive seen. And i cant see how even a kebe hater could say james is a better bet from the bench currently.

It was in a cup game v Burnley

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Nov 2009 16:36

Ferris
brendywendy I saw that long goal.dont remember at what level it was at,but it was at some level. Chased a lost cause,skinned a dèfender, rifled in near post from 18 yards + and from a yard back from the goal line.one of the best goals ive seen. And i cant see how even a kebe hater could say james is a better bet from the bench currently.

was it the replay of the cancelled due to rain game?

anyway- it left me totally openmouthed, and not many RFC goals have done that

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 16 Nov 2009 16:37

brendywendy
Ferris

was it the replay of the cancelled due to rain game?

anyway- it left me totally openmouthed, and not many RFC goals have done that

Yes and 'greed.

One swallow, however...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Nov 2009 16:48

totally agree with that too

i guess its more proof that one world class goal, doesnt make a world class player,
than evidence that shane long is any good.

but in answer to schards assertion that long wont score a decent goal at any level- you are wrong, unless you meant from now onwards- where i may agree with you.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Nov 2009 18:57

Row Z Royal When I said "end of thread", I seriously didn't think that this could still be going. I just can't see how he merits a place in a CCC team.

Oh well then he may as well pack it in now then. Best he retire's now that some faceless bloke on an internet forum with no experience in professional football doesn't rate him. He's 20 years old for crying out loud and whilst he may be overrated he's still as good as the other youngsters

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Nov 2009 19:46

brendywendy totally agree with that too

i guess its more proof that one world class goal, doesnt make a world class player,
than evidence that shane long is any good.

but in answer to schards assertion that long wont score a decent goal at any level- you are wrong, unless you meant from now onwards- where i may agree with you.

He also scored two good goals against Norwich away last season, so I'd say unless Schards means from now on, he's talking out of his buttocks.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Nov 2009 19:50

Henry's scored 6 or 7 goals involving either beating 3-4 players or scoring from 25 yards, all involving far more technique than Long is capable of or, at least, has ever shown in all his appearances for Reading.

One wonder goal may be a one off but Henry's got several which would suggest he has real talent. To suggest Long's nod in at the far post at Norwich is comparable is, well, daft really.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Nov 2009 19:53

Schards#2 Henry's scored 6 or 7 goals involving either beating 3-4 players or scoring from 25 yards, all involving far more technique than Long is capable of or, at least, has ever shown in all his appearances for Reading.

One wonder goal may be a one off but Henry's got several which would suggest he has real talent. To suggest Long's nod in at the far post at Norwich is comparable is, well, daft really.

Good goals aren't just about beating lots of players and rifling one in from 25 yards Schards.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Nov 2009 19:58

Ian Royal
Schards#2 Henry's scored 6 or 7 goals involving either beating 3-4 players or scoring from 25 yards, all involving far more technique than Long is capable of or, at least, has ever shown in all his appearances for Reading.

Good goals aren't just about beating lots of players and rifling one in from 25 yards Schards.

Plenty of players can win a header at the far post, few can beat a few players and cane one in from 25 yards more than once in a blue moon.

Henry can, Long can't.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Nov 2009 19:59

well done for comparing apples with oranges.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 16 Nov 2009 20:06

Ian Royal well done for comparing apples with oranges.

If apples = players with a special talent and oranges = players who don't, you make a fair point.

Having compared them, I prefer the apples.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Nov 2009 20:28

But shane longs scored his at championship and prem level. Henrys never impressed there. And like i said. That burnley goal was one of the best ive ever seen anywhere. And thats from someone who thinks long hasnt come on as he should.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Nov 2009 21:05

Schards#2

If apples = players with a special talent and oranges = players who don't, you make a fair point.

LOL

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 16 Nov 2009 21:25

Hnery - oodles of talent, probably not done anything like enough with it despite some interesting cameos in Division 1 and 2, years of coaching and pampering whilst being labelled as 'the next big thing'

Long - much less talent, two seasons as a Premiership player and a regular international for several seasons, grew up playing a totally different sport

Anyone for a banana ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Nov 2009 22:13

Schards#2

Yeah, Jimmy Quinn was shit just because he never skinned three players and banged one in from 25 yards. :roll:

I don't rate Long, I think he's poor. But saying he'll never score a decent goal is idiotic, and saying he isn't a good player because he won't score a spectacular goal is idiotic. Saying Henry is by far the better player is also idiotic, because Henry has done nothing to show he can cut it at a high level despite being given the opportunity to get lots of professional starts under his belt and then get a couple of games to show what he's capable of. He's also a winger, not striker.

Long never got that opportunity, yet has contributed plenty at both this level and higher.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Nov 2009 22:14

Sun Tzu Hnery - oodles of talent, probably not done anything like enough with it despite some interesting cameos in Division 1 and 2, years of coaching and pampering whilst being labelled as 'the next big thing'

Long - much less talent, two seasons as a Premiership player and a regular international for several seasons, grew up playing a totally different sport

Anyone for a banana ?

I think if Long had got a season on loan down the leagues somewhere in his first two or three seasons with us, he'd have made it as a recognised Championship striker by now.

165 posts