James Henry - LOL

165 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: James Henry - LOL

by Terminal Boardom » 16 Nov 2009 22:21

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu Hnery - oodles of talent, probably not done anything like enough with it despite some interesting cameos in Division 1 and 2, years of coaching and pampering whilst being labelled as 'the next big thing'

Long - much less talent, two seasons as a Premiership player and a regular international for several seasons, grew up playing a totally different sport

Anyone for a banana ?

I think if Long had got a season on loan down the leagues somewhere in his first two or three seasons with us, he'd have made it as a recognised Championship striker by now.

Or if he wasn't an establiched player he would be well on the way. Agreed Ian.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Nov 2009 00:32

brendywendy But shane longs scored his at championship and prem level. Henrys never impressed there. And like i said. That burnley goal was one of the best ive ever seen anywhere. And thats from someone who thinks long hasnt come on as he should.

just as players can improve with age, others can eat a metric bollock load of big macs and have the athletic build of Joan Sim on a bad day.

two seasons as a Premiership player

lol
I think you missed out "increasingly bit-part".

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 00:39

Dont even like long that much. No idea why im defending him. But henry is currently bit part in league 1. And ill take trappatonis view over anyones on here,including my own!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Nov 2009 09:32

Ian Royal
Sun Tzu Hnery - oodles of talent, probably not done anything like enough with it despite some interesting cameos in Division 1 and 2, years of coaching and pampering whilst being labelled as 'the next big thing'

Long - much less talent, two seasons as a Premiership player and a regular international for several seasons, grew up playing a totally different sport

Anyone for a banana ?

I think if Long had got a season on loan down the leagues somewhere in his first two or three seasons with us, he'd have made it as a recognised Championship striker by now.

I would love to see this put to the test as, firstly, it would give Long an opportunity to improve though, sadly, one I think he would fail to take as I can't see him standing out at any professional level. But, more importantly, secondly, it would ensure he isn't on the pitch for Reading for at least a year.

As for his "wonder goal" against Burnley. it doesn't really stick in the memory so can't have been that great. A finish from a tight angle is as much as I can remember. Unlike Scott's goal against Bradford which also failed to make a summer.

In the meantime, Henry scores more regularly and more spectacularly but is deemed surplus to requirements.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 10:56

you are a bit old though, dementia could be setting in
it certainly sticks in my mind

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 11:01

Schards#2 As for his "wonder goal" against Burnley. it doesn't really stick in the memory so can't have been that great. A finish from a tight angle is as much as I can remember. Unlike Scott's goal against Bradford which also failed to make a summer.

In the meantime, Henry scores more regularly and more spectacularly but is deemed surplus to requirements.

To be fair Schards your long term memory being slightly dodgy doesn't detract from the quality of Long's goal at all ! It was a very good goal. It also doesn't make him the new Cruyff of course !

I'm confused how Henry is considered surplus to requirements. This is the chap who has just been given a new contract ? Odd way to tell someone they aren't wanted ! There's two sides to being a footballer and by all accounts Henry has been challenged several times to get his head down and turn in a consistent run of performances. Whether he should have been stuck in our first team to do this or whether it makes sense to ask him to do it at a slightly lower level and without a risk factor to us is debateable, but we're hardly the first club to tell a player he needs to spend time on loan in order to show he can become a reliable starter.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Nov 2009 11:28

Sun Tzu
Schards#2 As for his "wonder goal" against Burnley. it doesn't really stick in the memory so can't have been that great. A finish from a tight angle is as much as I can remember. Unlike Scott's goal against Bradford which also failed to make a summer.

To be fair Schards your long term memory being slightly dodgy doesn't detract from the quality of Long's goal at all ! It was a very good goal. It also doesn't make him the new Cruyff of course !

I'm confused how Henry is considered surplus to requirements. This is the chap who has just been given a new contract ? Odd way to tell someone they aren't wanted ! There's two sides to being a footballer and by all accounts Henry has been challenged several times to get his head down and turn in a consistent run of performances. Whether he should have been stuck in our first team to do this or whether it makes sense to ask him to do it at a slightly lower level and without a risk factor to us is debateable, but we're hardly the first club to tell a player he needs to spend time on loan in order to show he can become a reliable starter.

Fair enough if the team is doing perfectly well without him but it hasn't been. Furthermore, he has never had a decent run in the team even though this has been afforded to pretty much every other first team prospect this season.

As previously stated, there may be other factors of which we, as supporters, are not fully aware, but in terms of ability it is hard to understand why his ability is currently benefitting a club other than ours.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 11:34

its not that hard to understand- hes been assessed as not quite there yet at this level in this squad, and needing games

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 11:34

Schards#2
As previously stated, there may be other factors of which we, as supporters, are not fully aware, but in terms of ability it is hard to understand why his ability is currently benefitting a club other than ours.

Chicken and egg really isn't it ?

If Rodgers had a concern about Henry and told him to go and prove himself then he either goes on loan and flops, proving Rodgers was right to be worried, or he goes on loan and succeeds. That gives the dilemma ! Did he succeed because he was given the challenge, rose to it and comes back a better player, or was the loan unnecessary and he'd have succeeded if he'd gone straight into the first team / Not even hindsight will give us that answer.

His loan performances elsewhere have been patchy. He has been given lots of chances to prove he can be a consistent player but in his 5 or 6 (?) loan spells he's done OK without forcing the issue. I'd love to see him come back and take the Championship by storm, I think he has a lot of ability but yet in nearly 50 games he's not quite grasped the opportunity. Still FA Cup coming up soon !!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 11:38

isnt he playing mainly as sub for millwall?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 11:58

brendywendy isnt he playing mainly as sub for millwall?

8 starts, 3 sub appearances, 5 goals.

No idea how often he's been an unused sub.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 12:04

Sun Tzu

ok, so hes doing very well then
hence the new contract.
TBF id like to see him and davies come back- but if theyre not going to get games, its better they stay where they are till needed

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 17 Nov 2009 12:10

I have always thought Henry needs to work out what he can and can't do as a player because he has always had a tendency to try to do too much, either by taking on one too many players or by having a very optimistic long range shot. He has a lot of the playing attributes and shortcomings of Beckham so could learn a lot from watching old matches of his and learn how to keep the game simple and play to his strengths.

He does seem to be one of these players who has to have the right environment in which to thrive as he seems to have been successful on loan at Bournemouth and Milwall but it didn't work out for him at all at Norwich or Forest,

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Nov 2009 12:17

Sun Tzu

I think in league games this season it's 5 starts, 3 sub appearances, 5 goals

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 12:19

Schards#2
Sun Tzu

I think in league games this season it's 5 starts, 3 sub appearances, 5 goals

He's played 3 cup games as well.
They count don't they ?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Nov 2009 12:36

They would if he'd played any.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Nov 2009 12:47

Schards#2 They would if he'd played any.

Doh !

They were for us weren't they !!!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2009 12:50

3 starts for us and 5 for Millwall.

Has found his form following his hat-trick against a frankly awful Tranmere side - before that he was arguing with Millwall fans in previous games and in and out of the team.

So he's only just coming in to form now - if it continues we'll see him back here.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Nov 2009 17:57

I still don't get what's so outrageous about Long being on the bench when he's the most fit and available of our non starting STRIKERS whilst Henry is on loan, because he is not as effective or good as McAnuff or Kebe, who are all WINGERS.

Lets solve our problems by playing our third/fourth choice winger upfront! Yay, all is well again. :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2009 18:25

greed

the madness of schards innit

165 posts