Back from the game: QPR v Reading

Elm Park Forever

Re: Back from the game: QPR v Reading

by Elm Park Forever » 20 Oct 2009 23:35

Angry, angry, angry. What a pile of dross that was. It was a good job Ingimarsson got himself sent off, at least then we didn't have to face the humilation of getting spanked despite having an extra player. Time for Brendan to go I'm afraid - I can't take any more of this.

I've blogged/ranted too if anyone fancies a look

http://thereadingfan.wordpress.com/2009 ... hed-again/

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 20 Oct 2009 23:38

Focher After taking an early lead and controlling the game, we gave a silly goal away from a set piece and we seemed devoid of ideas after that.

At the end of the day lets face it 4-1 flattered us.

8)

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 20 Oct 2009 23:39

I really think everyone is being too kind. I thought this was a truly diabolical performance. Rangers should have scored 6 or 7 but for poor finishing when the goal at their mercy.Our defence looked as though they had never played together before. Was comparing notes on the last time I saw a performance as bad as this. Probably when we lost 3-0 at home to bottom of the table Wimbledon.

Even when down to 10 men in the first half we were outplayed.

Rangers showed us how the game should be played, players making space for each other, making themselves available for passes and overlapping runs time and again left us flatfooted.

This performance has to be down to Rodgers. When Rangers went down to 10 men they quickly regrouped and actually improved. When we went down to 10 men we looked lost.

If this continues I guarantee relegation.

Blue_Elm

Magilton & Rodgers on Tonights Game & Rodgers Job

by Blue_Elm » 20 Oct 2009 23:40

QPR manager Jim Magilton on Ben Watson's sending off and Brendan Rodgers' position:

"It was a poor sending-off. It's the letter of the law but common sense must prevail. We are all grown men.

"It (Rodgers' position) is horrendous. I've been there, and I was ninth in the table at the time.

"So I have a great deal of sympathy for him because you have to take the brunt of it, and you have to carry the can and he'll be up all night thinking about it."

Reading manager Brendan Rodgers:

"It was a tough night. I can understand the reaction. I've never experienced that but I've always been taught to fight. I'm not worried. Better managers than me have had that.

"It's not nice but can you blame them? We were poor. But it just makes me more determined.

"We've had a horrendous start. But what people maybe don't understand is it's a massive task here.

"My ambition at the beginning of the season was to be up there, but the reality is it's a very difficult job - all the best players have left.

"I want to give people a chance but I can't watch too much of that."

Source: BBC

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 20 Oct 2009 23:40

Barry the bird boggler although I did think there was a glimmer of hope having got to half time goalless.

:?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 20 Oct 2009 23:41

Bucks Dave Our defence looked as though they had never played together before.

That would be because they hadn't!!

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 20 Oct 2009 23:44

Point taken! It also looked like they never trained together either.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Magilton & Rodgers on Tonights Game & Rodgers Job

by facaldaqui » 20 Oct 2009 23:48

"All the best players have left." Yes, but you've loaned players from Chelsea and Celtic, and you paid 2 million for Mills, more than Harper, Rosenior, Hahnemann, Doobs, and some of the others were worth.

We would have been happy with mid-table this season, but your team selection and tactics are slapdash. I thought we bought Tabb because he was good across the middle and down the left: tonight you played him at right back. From a man-management point of view, you might at least have had the acumen to push him forward in the second half rather than take him off: if he's not a disillusioned player tonight, I'd be surprised. You are asking to O'Dea to play at left back to cover for Bertrand: why, instead of borrowing O'Dea when you had just bought MIlls did you not borrow someone to cover for the injured Armstrong? Hell, you might even have had Harding.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 20 Oct 2009 23:52, edited 2 times in total.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 20 Oct 2009 23:50

Sporting Life

Brendan Rodgers insisted he does not fear the sack and vowed to fight on after Reading's fans turned on him during the 4-1 defeat at QPR.

The disgruntled travelling support treated Rodgers to a chorus of 'you're getting sacked in the morning' and chanted former boss Steve Coppell's name as the goals rained in against the woeful Royals.

Reading are now just three points off the foot of the Championship after they were blown away by strikes from Akos Buzsaky, Jay Simpson, Rowan Vine and Patrick Agyemang.

"It was a tough night," admitted Rodgers.

"I can understand the reaction. I've never experienced that but I've always been taught to fight. I'm not worried. Better managers than me have had that.

"It's not nice but can you blame them? We were poor. But it just makes me more determined.

"We've had a horrendous start. But what people maybe don't understand is it's a massive task here. My ambition at the beginning of the season was to be up there, but the reality is it's a very difficult job - all the best players have left.

"I want to give people a chance but I can't watch too much of that."

Rodgers may have thought his luck was about to turn after half an hour when Ben Watson was shown a second yellow card by referee Andy Hall for taking a free-kick too quickly.

"It was a poor sending-off," said Rangers boss Jim Magilton.

"It's the letter of the law but common sense must prevail. We are all grown men."

But Hall had actually done Rangers a favour as Buzsaky stepped up to take the same free-kick and curled it into the top corner.

The 10 men doubled their lead eight minutes later when Wayne Routledge floated in a deep cross which fooled Adam Federici and Simpson volleyed in at the far post.

Hall evened up the numbers less than 30 seconds into the second half, although he had little choice after Ivar Ingimarsson, also on a booking, scythed down Simpson.

Substitutes Vine and Agyemang grabbed their first goals of the season to put the gloss on another fine performance - Rangers have now scored 13 goals in their last three games whereas Brian Howard's late consolation was only Reading's 11th of the season.

And former Ipswich boss Magilton sympathised with his opposite number.

"It's horrendous. I've been there, and I was ninth in the table at the time," he said.

"So I have a great deal of sympathy for him because you have to take the brunt of it, and you have to carry the can and he'll be up all night thinking about it."

I was there at Elm Park

Re: Magilton & Rodgers on Tonights Game & Rodgers Job

by I was there at Elm Park » 20 Oct 2009 23:54

facaldaqui "All the best players have left." Yes, but you've loaned players from Chelsea and Celtic, and you paid 2 million for Mills, more than Harper, Rosenior, Hahnemann, Doobs, and some of the others were worth.

We would have been happy with mid-table this season, but your team selection and tactics are slapdash. I thought we bought Tabb because he was good across the middle and down the left: tonight you played him at right back. From a man-management point of view, you might at least have had the acumen to push him forward in the second half rather than take him off: if he's not a disillusioned player tonight, I'd be surprised. You are asking to O'Dea to play at left back to cover for Bertrand: why, instead of borrowing O'Dea when you had just bought MIlls did you not borrow someone to cover for the injured Armstrong? Hell, you might even have had Harding.

Bertrand is injured for one game that's why O'Dea played there. I still think bringing in O'Dea was pointless but there was no need to bring in another left back when we already had two. Yes I know one's injured but Bertrand has been Rodgers' best signing and do we really need another squad player, especially with Armstrong on the way back.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 20 Oct 2009 23:56

Kebe apart - and only in the second half - we were so bad it was frankly embarrasing.

I sat in the top tier tonight so sadly i had a good view. the sending off was harsh on them, but to go 2 nil down against ten men was shameful.

We hoofed, they passed it, apart from the last ten minutes when amazingly we actually played well - though it was far too little too late.

However bizzarely it was still a good away trip - the gallows humour in the upper tier was worthy of an emmy.

'We scored a goal, we scored a goooooal, how shit must you be, we scored a goal'. 'We got a throw, we got a throw' etc etc.

Highlight for me of the night was when we actually managed to get three passes in a row (counted one by one with ironic cheers by us) and won a throw, only then to produce a foul throw. Classic stuff.

Also Gunnarssons through ball to the advertising board was also spot on - although i was little put out by the laughter that spread across his face. And then the sending off - clearly thinking we were playing such scintilating stuff that we only needed 10 men after all, it really was a cunning move that worked very well.

Rogers Out - dont blame anybody else, especially not Fed in goal - at least he has some natural talent, which is more than can be said for the other 10/9 outfield players tonight.

clauski

by clauski » 21 Oct 2009 00:06

To be fair Rodgers did say it was his most disappointing night since becoming a manager. Given he's been a manager for nearly a year now it must have been bad.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 21 Oct 2009 00:11

The chickens have come home to roost for Rogers now. Come on how much longer can the support put up with such dross on the pitch. Surely a decision has to be made sooner rather than later. To see the support finally turn against Rogers in such a way that it leaves him in no doubt where we think he should go has to be a tapping in of the final nails. Who was that pcunt in the lower stand having an aggressive hissy fit at a person half his age. Take a good look at yourself it the mirror. Proud of yourself - dick.

There were only glimmers of a game out of Kebe taking apart the right wing. He did this a number of times and when it came off a hint of interest swept over my glazed eyes. Poor, poor, poor. Even ironic cheers for passes completed never cheered anyone up of really raised the game on the pitch.

Not too much else to say really. P1ssed off is about right.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 21 Oct 2009 00:11

clauski To be fair Rodgers did say it was his most disappointing night since becoming a manager. Given he's been a manager for nearly a year now it must have been bad.

If you went tonight, you would want Rodgers out in the morning. We were that bad. Previously i wanted to give him more time, but not after that. We were terrible.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 21 Oct 2009 00:23

bigshaka'away'
clauski To be fair Rodgers did say it was his most disappointing night since becoming a manager. Given he's been a manager for nearly a year now it must have been bad.

If you went tonight, you would want Rodgers out in the morning. We were that bad. Previously i wanted to give him more time, but not after that. We were terrible.

Spot on.

I too thought Rodgers should be given time, but what I saw tonight was one of the worst Reading performances in many a year. There are no words that can really describe how bad we were. Something is very, very wrong in the camp.

Rodgers needs to go.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 21 Oct 2009 00:23

What a pleasure it was to watch a team in the classic blue-and-white hoops playing some decent football, putting in good tackles, never giving up on lost causes, and generally bossing the game. I remember when Reading played like that. It seems a very long time ago.

It is now morning. Has he been sacked yet?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Oct 2009 00:24

Elm Park Forever Angry, angry, angry. What a pile of dross that was. It was a good job Ingimarsson got himself sent off, at least then we didn't have to face the humilation of getting spanked despite having an extra player. Time for Brendan to go I'm afraid - I can't take any more of this.

I've blogged/ranted too if anyone fancies a look

http://thereadingfan.wordpress.com/2009 ... hed-again/

Spot on really, well summed up.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Oct 2009 00:27

The guy is useless, totally inept. What does he do during the week? send loving texts to Moronho, stare at himself in the mirror practising his interview technique, it's just atrocious. Wally Downes said in his interview on BBCRB that he and Dillon were let go because the club wanted to go in a new direction, well by appointing this clown they've certainly gone about it the right way.

Nice guy maybe but he's well out of his depth.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 21 Oct 2009 00:46

Back from the game (Putney) after a few drinks so if I make mistakes, its not entirely my fault!

Up until the (bizarre) sending off, we were set to lose 1-0. Our defence looked capable but we were always going to lose to a bit of class. Why were we not going to score? Because our forwards were marked out of the game and our central midfield was not working together.

Sending Off 1 - Then the happy..sad 30 seconds. The sending off by the way did not look like one of those where the he realises too late he had already booked the player (Watson stands out with his blonde ginger hair!) - he was just one of those referees...

Goal 1 - The frustrating thing was that after 20 seconds of glee Buzaky stroked the ball into the net just too easily . Verdict: Where was Federici? Had he set his wall properly?

Goal 2 - A great ball was whipped in from wide and deep, two Reading players were on Simpson and Federici came too, the problem was, Mills and Federici left it for each other and Simpson did the sensible thing and slid between the three of them. Verdict: Federici should have taken responsibility - but on a more confident day Mills would have cleared it for a corner to avoid any misunderstanding (sums up the defensive confidence...)

Sending Off 2 - No idea, still having a half time beer

Goal 3 - Vine took his shot when nothing was on and beat A-Fed at his near post. Verdict: Federici should have covered his near post? Bad view of this one as was checking the team sheets!

Goal 4 - Out defence that had never played as a back 3 together was all at sea as Agymang jinked past Federici to finish into a clear net. Verdict: Counter attack which summed up the state of the Reading mess.

Goal 5 - No Idea, was using the facilities!

Federici 5 - No Organisational skills and made errors, albeit errors which would not be exposed if better protected

Tabb 7 - Solid performance. This guy is a 100%er wherever he plays.

O'Dea 7 - Another solid enough performance, would love to see him back at central defence for a run of games

Mills 6 - Moments of greatness and moments of Sunday League.

Ingi - 6 - Lacked leadership but then that wasn't easy tonight! Harsh first yellow card in my opinion

Jobi 7 - Lively but cuts in too much

Kebe 9.5 - 9 in the first half, 10 in the second - he seemed to carry the Readng attack single handedly! Best player on the pitch. (Oh and I am not a Kebe lover per se)

Gunnar 5 - Got stuck in but gave the ball away. Passing was uncreative and seemed to chase the ball to often.

Cisse 5 - Just looking like Viera isn't enough! Shooting was abysmal and left his markers way too much space

Church - 5 - He tried.

Long 5.5 - He tried even harder than Church but is a supersub and nothing more...

Sig - Looked class, great passer, great engine. Needs to start a game again soon

Howard - Not as good as Andy Reid but still tries to play like him

Hal R-K -6 - Tried, just like Church and Long but was equally ineffective.

Rodgers - I want to keep him. Quite Simply, you don't rise up through the ranks at Reading before being picked by Chelsea and then by Watford, by being a fool. You don't turn a poor team like Watford into a good team by being a bad leader. He has made mistakes at Reading with his indecision added to his failure to fill the right back position. However, I did not watch a team tonight that lacked passion, I watched a team that was lacking quality and I believe Rodgers will get this right and will steer us to safety. Form there I hope for bigger and better things!

Fans - half were great and half couldn't wait for us to take a beating :|

Summary - QPR has class players in Taraabt, Buzacky, Cerny, Routledge and Vine. There back 4 was in control of our forwards and our midfield was working as individuals. Rodgers needs to get a starting XI that he believes in and mst get them playing together. Raziak needs to start away games as we need someone to hold up the ball so the midfield can join the forwards and keep possession in the opposition final third. We need a new Right back. We need a new Goalkeeper as I have feeling Federici will star at another club but not ours. The referee was on some strange pills and changed the game. Kebe was able to beat men at will and seemed to be insanely frustrated by his team-mates - what does that say?!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Gutless

by Alan Partridge » 21 Oct 2009 01:04

Best way to describe tonight. I haven't been to as many games this season but i had a rare outing at QPR tonight, I have not seen a performance as gutless, as inept and as damn embarassing as that crock of shit tonight. It was beyond appalling. Bumper book of soccer tactics page 34 was forget everything you've tried to do before hand, revert to 4-4-2, play a left footed central midfielder at right back, an absolutely DIRE central midfield with zero creativity or quality and the worst pairing of centre forwards since Brayson and Scott.

It was no surprise to anyone in the ground that QPR ran riot. Even with 10 men they pinged it round us for fun and scored the easiest team goal of the season. We even felt obliged to try and save us the embarassment of being dicked on by 10 men by getting one of our own sent off just to be fair to QPR. A full 7 seconds of the 2nd half gone when Ivar got dismissed.

There are no positivies from it. another team picked out of a hat, every single one of them were a disgrace to the club and the manager shouldn't still be in town to do a report.

It really was shameful. Shane Long is the worst excuse for a footballer I have seen in my life, fat, unfit, horrendous touch, lazy, absolute fcuking CRAP. Simon Church LOL. We all know the lad was crap for Wycombe and Yeovil but he can get a game here.

There was no shape, no direction, no quality and worst of all no guts on show. 2-0 down they had 10men and their winger is taking the piss doing step overs in the corner, our guys just stand and admire and wait for him to put a cross in or just dance round them. Gutless.

Every single one of the players involved tonight should be docked pay and Rodgers should be sacked now. Sadly no one at the club has got any guts and we'll continue on with this joke of a setup and team. Never in my life have i seen a team in October so dead certain for relegation than this Reading team, the poorest Reading side I've seen in my life and that includes Bullivant and Burns sides. At least both of those manages left us with half a decent player or two, fingers x'd Rodgers is gone in the morning but he's leaving the new man Cummings and Howard. Dear oh dear.

Fair play to QPR they did what they had to do and won at an absolute canter, could have been 10 if they wanted.

FAO Rodgers, take your tactics book, watch, take your appalling signings and backroom staff and FCUK OFF. Now.

RODGERS OUT.