Rodgers is still the right man

437 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rodgers is still the right man

by Ian Royal » 24 Jul 2010 15:01

Royalee
Ian Royal One off poor performance from players is either from the manager getting his tactics totally wrong for a game or the players having an off day.

Frequent poor performances from the players is either the manager being incapable of doing the very basics of his job or the players simply not being good enough. If those same players then put in vastly improved performances under a different manager it pretty much spells out to all but the most blinkered or stupid exactly where the problem was.

You don't understand the difference between playing poorly and creating nothing and being poor in front of goal, or anything much about the game to be fair. McDermott's done very well getting players like Kebe to play, but let's not forget Rodgers' predecessor still couldn't get anything out of him and to call most of our performances insipid under Rodgers is utter toss - we played some excellent football at times, but were missing the investment needed up top and were robbed of Noel Hunt.

Would that be Rodger's predecessor who got something like 15 assists out of Kebe in one season?
We never looked particularly like scoring even with the chances we created and that was clearly down to the lack of confidence and happiness the players had in their manager and tactics.

We played pretty pretty ineffectual, directionless toss under Rodgers.

From all the reports your estimate of Rasiak's cost is also at least a third off the actual price. And of course it was Rodgers who decided we'd be fine with one fit striker and we didn't need anyone to cover for an unfit Hunt, but could instead rely on a player who'd done little for seasons, a player who'd failed to cut the mustard over 4 seasons and a player without a good scoring record in his first season at this level. None of whom were well suited to playing up front alone.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jul 2010 10:46

Could Royalee please point me in the direction of examples of the "excellent football at times" that we apparently played under Rodgers. I must have missed it. Ta.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Jul 2010 11:38

Royal Lady Could Royalee please point me in the direction of examples of the "excellent football at times" that we apparently played under Rodgers. I must have missed it. Ta.

I actually believe that at times we did play some quality football albeit it didnt get us the results but you could see the style of play certainly improved. I personally think he may do ok at Swansea and don't care if he does or doesn;t just as long as it does not affect us

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jul 2010 12:15

loyalroyal4life
Royal Lady Could Royalee please point me in the direction of examples of the "excellent football at times" that we apparently played under Rodgers. I must have missed it. Ta.

I actually believe that at times we did play some quality football albeit it didnt get us the results but you could see the style of play certainly improved. I personally think he may do ok at Swansea and don't care if he does or doesn;t just as long as it does not affect us

So you can't either then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jul 2010 13:16

At least Swansea have the right idea and he's on a 12 month rolling contract - something, perhaps, we should have done, given that we also did it with Coppell (although I think he wanted it that way). Would have saved us some money anyhow.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jul 2010 14:24

Royalee
Ian Royal One off poor performance from players is either from the manager getting his tactics totally wrong for a game or the players having an off day.

Frequent poor performances from the players is either the manager being incapable of doing the very basics of his job or the players simply not being good enough. If those same players then put in vastly improved performances under a different manager it pretty much spells out to all but the most blinkered or stupid exactly where the problem was.

You don't understand the difference between playing poorly and creating nothing and being poor in front of goal, or anything much about the game to be fair. McDermott's done very well getting players like Kebe to play, but let's not forget Rodgers' predecessor still couldn't get anything out of him and to call most of our performances insipid under Rodgers is utter toss - we played some excellent football at times, but were missing the investment needed up top and were robbed of Noel Hunt.

Right on cue. :wink:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jul 2010 15:36

No Fixed Abode I agree with everything BR said to be honest.

Poor attempt better luck next time.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 26 Jul 2010 12:49

Royalee

LOL

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Jul 2010 13:01

To be fair to the Rodgers defenders, for the most part were were defensively solid, bar the odd game and we controlled posession in a lot of games as well.

The issue was lack of composure in front of goal from our strikers, and a lack of ideas from our creative players to carve open the defences.

The problem with playing the style rodgers liked was that it's easy to get a solid back line because the tempo wasn't high and if you don't have enough players of real quality to pull that defence out of shape you are going to struggle to break through. As we saw.

I like Mcdermotts style, it's a half way point between Coppells play it out the wings and Rodgers play it around style in that we were doing both at different points in the game and he knows when to turn everything up a notch.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jul 2010 13:41

If we had to go through the drivel that Rodgers produced to end up with McDermott, it's fair enough.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 26 Jul 2010 14:24

ZacNaloen To be fair to the Rodgers defenders, for the most part were were defensively solid, bar the odd game and we controlled posession in a lot of games as well.

The issue was lack of composure in front of goal from our strikers, and a lack of ideas from our creative players to carve open the defences.

The problem was fitness, we lost points in the last 15 minutes of too many games.

many players commented on how much fitter/how much weight they had lost in the new year, including howard and mills. you can visibly see the difference in some of the players

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jul 2010 14:41

Rodgers left the Liberty in hugely positive mood ahead of the club's Dutch tour, pointing out that this game was just the way he wanted to sign off the week.

"The week has been a positive one," said Rodgers.

"Some players who were thinking whether they should stay or go have now committed themselves to the club.

"It's been a near-on perfect week. The enthusiasm is back and the positivity is back — we have seen that with the quality of play.

"We created a lot of chances and could have had more goals, that was the important thing.

"We told the players before the game that our objectives were to improve and develop our fitness levels.

"Playing here is good because the dimensions are big and the players have to cover more ground, and we have done that very well.

"Our fitness has improved and with more training we will finish those chances."

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 26 Jul 2010 14:47

In other words, its been a world class week by the looks of things.

:roll:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jul 2010 15:36

readingbedding Rodgers left the Liberty in hugely positive mood ahead of the club's Dutch tour, pointing out that this game was just the way he wanted to sign off the week.

"The week has been a positive one," said Rodgers.

"Some players who were thinking whether they should stay or go have now committed themselves to the club.

"It's been a near-on perfect week. The enthusiasm is back and the positivity is back — we have seen that with the quality of play.

"We created a lot of chances and could have had more goals, that was the important thing.

"We told the players before the game that our objectives were to improve and develop our fitness levels.

"Playing here is good because the dimensions are big and the players have to cover more ground, and we have done that very well.

"Our fitness has improved and with more training we will finish those chances."

Glad to see that improving "fitness" remains more important than scoring goals or winning

If there's one thing you can say about Rodgers, it's that he's consitent in his approach to the game

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Jul 2010 16:31

TBF Uke, most of us were complaining about the fitness levels when BR was about. It will be interesting to see if he has learnt from his time with us.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 26 Jul 2010 17:45

Terminal Boardom TBF Uke, most of us were complaining about the fitness levels when BR was about. It will be interesting to see if he has learnt from his time with us.

You know, I might just have been a little sarcastic in my post there ;)

Whoosh for TB!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 26 Jul 2010 18:53

Yeah, I'm sure I've heard those (more or less exact) words somewhere.

437 posts