Get some perspective

117 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Get some perspective

by andrew1957 » 09 Dec 2009 12:54

I nearly headed this "if hobnobbers are truly representative of our fanbase we deserve to get relegated" - but that was a bit of a mouthful.

Please get some perspective.

Rodgers came to the club at a difficult time. The owner - perhaps understandably as he clearly has money issues - has decided no more money will be put into the club. He has looked for a billionaire owner but cannot find one, so has decided that the club has to sink or swim on its own. We are still in a better shape financially than many Championship clubs and this season's relegation may well come down to how many clubs have to go into administration before the end of the season.

Many of our senior players have left or been sold and Rodgers has had to form a new squad very quickly. Initially things went badly but we have turned the corner and in some games we are playing well. I very much doubt we will get relegated, as in my opinion there are probably about 6 teams worse than us from what I have seen so far this season - Peterborough, Plymouth, Coventry, Sheff Wed, Derby and Ipswich. Others may be dragged down to the bottom by going into administration.

We have a young and learning squad that are going to be inconsistent and make mistakes like last evening.

The best thing that Sir John can do in my opinion is to simply say Brendan Rodgers is here to stay - whatever happens - even if we get relegated - as he is the right man to build on the new "cut your cloth" youth policy.

So why the hysteria on here. Well we are all disappointed that we threw away our PL status and did not get back there last season, when we definitely should have done. Well the blame for that lies squarely at the door of Steve Coppell and the senior players last season. I don't know what went wrong but something did and in the second half of last season we were awful. That is not the fault of anyone left at the club now.

Also I want to mention football finance in general. Soon a major club will go down and not be rescued. It is all but inevitable. Many current PL clubs simply cannot compete in that league and are building horrendous debts. The everlasting supply of Arab billionaires seems to be dwindling and this situation cannot continue. In the long run our youth policy will bear fruit - even if it means a visit to League 1 first.

So get behind Rodgers folks - he is the best hope we have of long term success. If we do so I very much doubt we will get relegated and I think we may well be challenging again for 2010/11.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Get some perspective

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 12:55

The best thing that Sir John can do in my opinion is to simply say Brendan Rodgers is here to stay - whatever happens - even if we get relegated - as he is the right man to build on the new "cut your cloth" youth policy.

What happened to Brick by Brick then?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 12:56

papereyes

Coppell dismantled it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 12:56

andrew1957 I nearly headed this "if hobnobbers are truly representative of our fanbase we deserve to get relegated" - but that was a bit of a mouthful.

Please get some perspective.

Rodgers came to the club at a difficult time. The owner - perhaps understandably as he clearly has money issues - has decided no more money will be put into the club. He has looked for a billionaire owner but cannot find one, so has decided that the club has to sink or swim on its own. We are still in a better shape financially than many Championship clubs and this season's relegation may well come down to how many clubs have to go into administration before the end of the season.

Many of our senior players have left or been sold and Rodgers has had to form a new squad very quickly. Initially things went badly but we have turned the corner and in some games we are playing well. I very much doubt we will get relegated, as in my opinion there are probably about 6 teams worse than us from what I have seen so far this season - Peterborough, Plymouth, Coventry, Sheff Wed, Derby and Ipswich. Others may be dragged down to the bottom by going into administration.

We have a young and learning squad that are going to be inconsistent and make mistakes like last evening.

So why the hysteria on here. Well we are all disappointed that we threw away our PL status and did not get back there last season, when we definitely should have done. Well the blame for that lies squarely at the door of Steve Coppell and the senior players last season. I don't know what went wrong but something did and in the second half of last season we were awful. That is not the fault of anyone left at the club now.

Also I want to mention football finance in general. Soon a major club will go down and not be rescued. It is all but inevitable. Many current PL clubs simply cannot compete in that league and are building horrendous debts. The everlasting supply of Arab billionaires seems to be dwindling and this situation cannot continue. In the long run our youth policy will bear fruit - even if it means a visit to League 1 first.

So get behind Rodgers folks - he is the best hope we have of long term success. If we do so I very much doubt we will get relegated and I think we may well be challenging again for 2010/11.

Good post - you're probably wasting your breath on here though.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 09 Dec 2009 12:57

Top post andrew1957

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Dec 2009 13:01

as in my opinion there are probably about 6 teams worse than us from what I have seen so far this season - Peterborough, Plymouth, Coventry, Sheff Wed, Derby and Ipswich.

Excuse me while that doesn't fill me with hope for the future.

FWIW, I think I agree with great swathes of it but my opinion of RFC fans is that 90 % of them simply don't think and accept second best over and over again. We've done that for two years and that's why we're where we are.

Because Brick by Brick was a bit of a lie. A well-meaning one, but still ...
Because players like Kebe, Fae, Cisse and Marek were not and never will be Premiership class.
Because the kids might not be alright.

Yes, today, they're all vocally against Rodgers but next week, who knows. Kebe might set up a goal and he'll be the man to lead us to the playoffs.

So get behind Rodgers folks - he is the best hope we have of long term success.

I wouldn't say best but at the moment, he is our hope.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Dec 2009 13:04

Starting Gunnar over Sig really got me angry last night, WTF did he change a system that had been working well, with Marek as a deep pying playmaker, with Sig supporting Ras up top? Astonishing.

Same team on Saturday and we'll lose again.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 09 Dec 2009 13:06

I disagree that it's a top post. Though Andrew thinks we won't go down, he is saying that we may have to go down to survive, and that if we go down we should keep Rodgers. I disagree; going down is a completely unnecessary price to pay when there are smaller clubs than us in this league, such as Scunny, Donny, and Peterborough. We keep throwing away matches we could have won, regardless of any financial pressures Rodgers is under. Even if we don't buy anyone at Christmas, we have the players to stay up, so long as they're managed well.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 09 Dec 2009 13:19

Ideal
facaldaqui Even if we don't buy anyone at Christmas, we have the players to stay up, so long as they're managed well.

To a certain extent I agree with this, poor management is why we are underperforming.

We have had 3 wins and 1 draw in the last 6 games which is a good return, so management must be doing something right. Although I agree that team selection and management wasn't spot on last night the goals we gave away that led to the defeat were not 'bad management' but individual errors from players and it is harsh by anyones standard to blame the manager for that.

If you take the last 6 games as a whole I wouldn't say we are 'underperforming'!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Dec 2009 13:20

If it was poor management, then how did we ever get 10 points from the 5 games prior to last night???

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Dec 2009 13:30

winchester_royal Starting Gunnar over Sig really got me angry last night, WTF did he change a system that had been working well, with Marek as a deep pying playmaker, with Sig supporting Ras up top? Astonishing.

Same team on Saturday and we'll lose again.

At the start of the game I was stunned, perplexed, mystified and probably a little nonplussed by the same thing. I was still contemplating the very same fact when Palace scored - on reflection perhaps the whole team were suffering from the same effect because they didn't start to play until the goal went in.
Leaving out Gylfi was bizarre - I couldn't see the logic. Less so when he did come on and showed the determination and decisiveness that was sadly missing.
I was hoping that Radio Berks would ask BR why he had left him out what was the plan. Obviously too much to ask for
BR - Don’t leave him out again!
:o

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Dec 2009 13:32

Royalee Coppell dismantled it.

You have the brain cells of a cabbage.

Madejski and Rodgers dismantled it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Dec 2009 13:36

FiNeRaIn

Federici, Ingimarsson, Cisse, Gunnarsson, Kebe the worst 5 players on the pitch last night. It's a facto.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Dec 2009 13:41

FiNeRaIn

Of course Coppell didn't actually dismantle it himself but there's no question that relegation followed by not going straight back up meant Rodgers,Hammond,Madejski and whoever else you want to scapegoat really had no choice.

Not one single person out of Coppell, Madejski,Hammond or Rodgers is completely blameless for us currently being where we are in the league at this particular time. Equally neither is any single one of them completely to blame either.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 09 Dec 2009 13:43

Relegation to league 1 would be a disaster. In all honesty, how many season ticket renewals do you think we'll have. Even with a hefty price reduction (which proabably wouldn't happen). 4k? No money up front means zero investment in the team because, as you say, the cash won't be coming from the chairman.

Good bye Newcastle, hello Oxford.

We have to do everything we can to stay in this division this season.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 09 Dec 2009 13:44

Royalee
FiNeRaIn

Federici, Ingimarsson, Cisse, Gunnarsson, Kebe the worst 5 players on the pitch last night. It's a facto.

Totally agree - they were the worst 5, but.......

Coppell never made A Fed number 1. He put Marcus back in the team at the end of last season. Could Coppell have known all along he was a back up at best? (Although this would beg the question, why did Coppell keep him and not look for a replacement?)

Playing Bryn and Cisse in the same team is a bad idea, regardless of which manager signed them!

Ingimarsson has been a great player for this club, but hasn't been the same since his injury. That can't really be classed as a Coppell piece of "dismantling"

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Dec 2009 13:46

Royalee
FiNeRaIn

Incorrect. A fact isn't something you make up to win an argument.

Great job done by madejski and rodgers to release all the clubs talent and bring in shockers like mills and comings, spending the entire udget in the process :lol:

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 09 Dec 2009 13:48

Royalee
papereyes

Coppell dismantled it.

I actually cringe when I see anything you post now, same for Ideal too. You are both born from the same eye lopsided mother, I swear to God.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 09 Dec 2009 13:48

FineRain should change his username to WaterSports.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Dec 2009 13:50

Thaumagurist* If it was poor management, then how did we ever get 10 points from the 5 games prior to last night???

Wins against a shocking Coventy team who haven't won in 10 or so now, Sheff Weds 4th straight home defeat - a decent win over Blackpool and a draw against an Ipswich team that had only one win at that point. A good run of course but one you'd hope for given that (bar Blackpool) they are all teams around us.

117 posts