Reading fans are the best

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Reading fans are the best

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2009 11:23

Over the years I have read pages and pages (written by our own fans) saying how bad we all are.
We don't sing enough
We don't cheer enough
We are quiet
We don't "Back the boyz and make some noize".

Well after a whole calendar year when we have had :-
A measly 3 home league wins
3 different managers
An exodus of our best players.
The massive disappointment of throwing away promotion
What has happened?

Have we had placards around the ground demanding sackings for:-
The manager (any of them)?-No
The board?-No
The Director of football?-No

Has there been masses of booing as we stumble to yet another draw or home defeat?-No (apart of course from the booing of Kebe now and again which is perfectly understandable and I think he is probably deaf anyway).

So give youselves a big round of applause Reading fans for staying so loyal during this very strange year and for keeping the moaning and groaning on here rather than at the stadium on matchdays when we may not be the loudest but have been supportive for most of the time.
I can think of many other sets of fans (about 91 of them) who might not have been so supportive of their club.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 27 Dec 2009 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading fans are the best

by Sun Tzu » 27 Dec 2009 11:28

Victor Meldrew I can think of many other sets of fans (about 91 of them) who might not have been so supportive of their club.

Of course that leads us to conclude that most of the population of HNA either don't attend games or aren't even Reading fans !

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2009 11:36

Or most of Hob Nob isn't as bad as you say, but that doesn't suit your holier than thou attitude.

Said it so many times, any other clubs fans would have been rioting after the year we have had.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Dec 2009 11:40

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Or most of Hob Nob isn't as bad as you say, but that doesn't suit your holier than thou attitude.

Said it so many times, any other clubs fans would have been rioting after the year we have had.

Holier than thou ? Interesting !

Given that many clubs have had far worse years than us in recent times and not rioted I'm not sure your point is valid.

Derby, Stockport, Bournemouth, Luton, Charlton......

And HNA is pretty terrible these days. The posters who you'd read and tqake note of have all but disappeared and been replaced by people with mental health issues or looking to create a reaction. It's rare these days to read someone's opinion and think 'well i disagree, but the bloke has a point'.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 27 Dec 2009 11:44

Sun Tzu
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Or most of Hob Nob isn't as bad as you say, but that doesn't suit your holier than thou attitude.

Holier than thou ? Interesting !

Given that many clubs have had far worse years than us in recent times and not rioted I'm not sure your point is valid.

Derby, Stockport, Bournemouth, Luton, Charlton......

And HNA is pretty terrible these days. The posters who you'd read and tqake note of have all but disappeared and been replaced by people with mental health issues or looking to create a reaction. It's rare these days to read someone's opinion and think 'well i disagree, but the bloke has a point'.

+1. Disagree with me if you want - but explain why. Don't just call me a twat.

As for Reading fans - I agree with the opening post. We have shown great loyalty this year. We still get almost 20,000 a lot of the time. It also shows how we have grown. If 2004 or 2005 had been like this I believe attendances would have been far lower at the end than they are now. Roll on 2010 anyhow - 2009 has been a year to forget for this club. Lets hope we can end it with a win though.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 27 Dec 2009 11:45

Its because Reading is a boring family run club and if someone even yells in the stadium, some pathetic skank sitting next to you will complain to a steward.
Reading fans = Dullest in English football.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 27 Dec 2009 11:57

Victor Meldrew Over the years I have read pages and pages (written by our own fans) saying how bad we all are.
We don't sing enough
We don't cheer enough
We are quiet

A measly 2 home league wins
3 different managers
What has happened?

The board?-No

Has there been masses of booing as we stumble to yet another draw or home defeat?-No (apart of course from the booing of Kebe now and again which is perfectly understandable and I think he is probably deaf anyway).

So give youselves a big round of applause Reading fans for staying so loyal during this very strange year and for keeping the moaning and groaning on here rather than at the stadium on matchdays when we may not be the loudest but have been supportive for most of the time.
I can think of many other sets of fans (about 91 of them) who might not have been so supportive of their club.

It was 3 home league wins this year, 4 home wins if you count the cup game too. If it HAD been 2 I would have been booing and holding a placard saying "BOOOOO".

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2009 11:58

West Stand Flash Its because Reading is a boring family run club and if someone even yells in the stadium, some pathetic skank sitting next to you will complain to a steward.
Reading fans = Dullest in English football.

Complain to the club then Flash that the "Back the boyz" p.a. cretin is inciting you to yell and yet the steward is stopping you.
If your compaint stops him screaming at the start of every game I will send you personal thanks,albeit in some kind of dull way.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 27 Dec 2009 12:00

That will never change, nor will the dire HT enetertainment.
Our club is full of prawn sandwich fans, that'll never change.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Dec 2009 12:05

Rawlie19
Victor Meldrew Over the years I have read pages and pages (written by our own fans) saying how bad we all are.
We don't sing enough
We don't cheer enough
We are quiet

A measly 2 home league wins
3 different managers
What has happened?

The board?-No

It was 3 home league wins this year, 4 home wins if you count the cup game too. If it HAD been 2 I would have been booing and holding a placard saying "BOOOOO".

Thanks Rawlie I have edited and as you say if it had only been two yours and other reactions might have been different. :wink:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Dec 2009 12:19

Victor Meldrew So give youselves a big round of applause Reading fans for staying so loyal during this very strange year

I think that the word you were looking for, VM, was sh*t.

Sun Tzu And HNA is pretty terrible these days. The posters who you'd read and tqake note of have all but disappeared and been replaced by people with mental health issues or looking to create a reaction. It's rare these days to read someone's opinion and think 'well i disagree, but the bloke has a point'.

I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that nobody is stopping you from never coming back.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2009 14:02

We don't sing enough
We don't cheer enough
We are quiet

The people that do this are so neurotic it's unbelievable. I don't care if fans of the Welsh clubs or clubs from the North think we're Plastic or any of the examples above so why do you? They don't care what you think of them.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 27 Dec 2009 14:10

The tone of HNA doesn't reflect the fans in general. That's even shown by the polls on here, which tend to be more reasonable than you'd expect from the comments. In my opinion, the discrepancy is something to do with the internet rather than with Reading fans: the internet attracts intemperate individuals who glory in firing off vitriol. It's the same on other sites I follow, such as Twitter and Wikipedia.

HNA is essential reading for me, but it's riddled with absurdity. If the club attended to the negativity on here, we'd have hardly any players left and no owner or board. I've always liked Reading fans, but I preferred it when I could only see the few around me rather than now when we're all exposed to view at the Madejski.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Dec 2009 15:46

There's a tendency among a very small number of people to make the same point over and over again, usually using exactly the same language and peculiarities of spelling. It makes for a large volume of complaint, but it's coming from a small number of people.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 27 Dec 2009 16:00

West Stand Flash Our club is full of prawn sandwich fans, that'll never change.

I'm guessing you've started watching Reading within the past decade, then...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Dec 2009 17:39

Arch There's a tendency among a very small number of people to make the same point over and over again, usually using exactly the same language and peculiarities of spelling. It makes for a large volume of complaint, but it's coming from a small number of people.

Always has been like this.

I'd say 85% of posters make decent enough points.

Most other clubs web sites just seem to be made up of people making up transfer rumours and then people actually beliving them...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Dec 2009 17:46

floyd__streete
I am sure I speak for all of us when I say that nobody is stopping you from never coming back.

Interesting that there follow a couple of posts agreeing with me !

Hope to see you at some obscure motorway services before too long Floyd....

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Dec 2009 18:26

floyd__streete
Victor Meldrew So give youselves a big round of applause Reading fans for staying so loyal during this very strange year

I think that the word you were looking for, VM, was sh*t.

Sun Tzu And HNA is pretty terrible these days. The posters who you'd read and tqake note of have all but disappeared and been replaced by people with mental health issues or looking to create a reaction. It's rare these days to read someone's opinion and think 'well i disagree, but the bloke has a point'.

lol floyd at his finest!

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 27 Dec 2009 18:46

prostak

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Dec 2009 18:59

West Stand Flash
prostak

and you noticed a sizeable contingent of prawn sandwich munchers watching us while we slugged it out with Hartlepool and Torquay back then?