Best RFC goalie of all time?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best RFC goalie of all time?

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2010 18:22

Royalee
AthleticoSpizz In my time...........whilst Steve Francis (and even Gary Westwood) won my admiration when it most mattered, it has be

1. Steve Death

2. Marcus

3. Shaka

in that order

Shaka >>>>>>>>>>>>>Hahnemann
yes, but why?

I take it Deathy was still better than Shaka tho'

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 21 Feb 2010 18:47

Athletico said

Oh yes. Half the size,smoked like a trooper but he was like a pocket dynamo.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2010 19:05

The Cap Athletico said

probably before yunglees time (and therefore hard for him to appreciate)...but, he will take some upstaging

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Feb 2010 19:21

1. Gary Westwood
2. Steve Death
3. Nick Coglan

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 19:31

AthleticoSpizz
Royalee
AthleticoSpizz In my time...........whilst Steve Francis (and even Gary Westwood) won my admiration when it most mattered, it has be

1. Steve Death

2. Marcus

3. Shaka

in that order

Shaka >>>>>>>>>>>>>Hahnemann
yes, but why?

Can't make too much comment on Death as he was before my time, although Hislop played for the second best team in the land at the time whereas Death played three divisions below. To compare Shaka who was a regular for the best part of a decade in the Premiership to Hahnemann who is nothing more than a steady top Championship keeper who has barely played in the top flight and is fourth choice for his country is laughable. Shaka was better at pretty much everything than Hahnemann, no disrespect to Marcus.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 19:31

AthleticoSpizz
The Cap Athletico said

probably before yunglees time (and therefore hard for him to appreciate)...but, he will take some upstaging

Give it a rest.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2010 19:44

Royalee Can't make too much comment on Death as he was before my time, although Hislop played for the second best team in the land at the time whereas Death played three divisions below. To compare Shaka who was a regular for the best part of a decade in the Premiership to Hahnemann who is nothing more than a steady top Championship keeper who has barely played in the top flight and is fourth choice for his country is laughable. Shaka was better at pretty much everything than Hahnemann, no disrespect to Marcus.
Whilst blessed with two great keepers (after Death) there is only one thing that is laughable......if you are comparing the Prem of the past 5 years to the Prem 15 years ago then I am chortling almost as much as comparing Trinidad & Tobago GoalKeeping opportunities to laughing my head off in comparison to USA ones. No disrespect to Shaka (legend) of course

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2010 19:56

I don't care if Death wasn't as good as Shaka or Hahnemann in actual fact, or that he played his entire career at a lower level. Any keeper that can go 1103 minutes without conceeding a goal for us gets the vote as best RFC goalie of all time as far as I'm concerned. Especially if they did it whilst being about my height.

Not a great deal to choose between Shaka and Hanhemann for me, so I don't see the point in really trying.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 21:42

AthleticoSpizz
Royalee Can't make too much comment on Death as he was before my time, although Hislop played for the second best team in the land at the time whereas Death played three divisions below. To compare Shaka who was a regular for the best part of a decade in the Premiership to Hahnemann who is nothing more than a steady top Championship keeper who has barely played in the top flight and is fourth choice for his country is laughable. Shaka was better at pretty much everything than Hahnemann, no disrespect to Marcus.
Whilst blessed with two great keepers (after Death) there is only one thing that is laughable......if you are comparing the Prem of the past 5 years to the Prem 15 years ago then I am chortling almost as much as comparing Trinidad & Tobago GoalKeeping opportunities to laughing my head off in comparison to USA ones. No disrespect to Shaka (legend) of course

Shaka was still playing in the top flight in 2006 but you may have a point - Eric Cantona, Dennis Bergkamp, Gianfranco Zola, Thierry Henry, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Alan Shearer were all shit. :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Feb 2010 21:57

Absolute no-brainer of a question.

Name another RFC 'keeper who went on to have a sustained career in the top flight of english football lasting over a decade?

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 21 Feb 2010 21:58

0-7 Arthur Wilkie gets my vote.......showing my age!

my great uncle, alive and in New Zealand if you care :)

torbayroyal

by torbayroyal » 21 Feb 2010 22:09

JIM LEIGHTON

0-7

by 0-7 » 21 Feb 2010 22:33

juanpablo

I do care and great to hear. A fine player.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 23:39

facaldaqui
One name I'd like to add: Phil Whitehead. Are we under-rating this very solid and dependable keeper?

No - see Peterbrough home 2001/2

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Feb 2010 23:46

Ian Royal I don't care if Death wasn't as good as Shaka or Hahnemann in actual fact, or that he played his entire career at a lower level. Any keeper that can go 1103 minutes without conceeding a goal for us gets the vote as best RFC goalie of all time as far as I'm concerned. Especially if they did it whilst being about my height.

Not a great deal to choose between Shaka and Hanhemann for me, so I don't see the point in really trying.

Ian, apparently some keeper for a sunday league side didnt let a goal in for a season cos his team were so good - he must be the best goalkeeper of all time, f*ck Banks and Schmeichel.

Maquisard

by Maquisard » 22 Feb 2010 00:06

Royalee
Ian Royal I don't care if Death wasn't as good as Shaka or Hahnemann in actual fact, or that he played his entire career at a lower level. Any keeper that can go 1103 minutes without conceeding a goal for us gets the vote as best RFC goalie of all time as far as I'm concerned. Especially if they did it whilst being about my height.

Ian, apparently some keeper for a sunday league side didnt let a goal in for a season cos his team were so good - he must be the best goalkeeper of all time, f*ck Banks and Schmeichel.

Don't diss my childhood hero :o :o It's an impressive record at any level, surely? And in particular at lower levels, where the quality of defence can often be... well, low, which puts a greater burden on the keeper.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 22 Feb 2010 01:39

0-7
juanpablo

I do care and great to hear. A fine player.

not a bad goal scorer on his day, were you present for that?

0-7

by 0-7 » 22 Feb 2010 18:06

I do care and great to hear. A fine player.[/quote]

not a bad goal scorer on his day, were you present for that?[/quote]

i DONT THINK SO but maybe I was and can't remember lol

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 22 Feb 2010 18:18

Death was before my time, so I'm going for:

1) Shaka
2) Hahnemann
3) Francis

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Feb 2010 19:14

Royalee Shaka was still playing in the top flight in 2006 but you may have a point - Eric Cantona, Dennis Bergkamp, Gianfranco Zola, Thierry Henry, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Alan Shearer were all shit. :roll:
:roll: no disrespect to Shaka (legend), but can you recall the nickname that he was given by the fans of at least one of his Premier teams?

Don't really care for getting into a pro/anti Marcus pro/anti Shaka arguement, but the thread asks for the BEST RFC goalie of all time, as good as Shaka was, he played far less games for Reading and none of which were in the Premier.