Back from the game - Peterborough (H)

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game..

by PieEater » 17 Apr 2010 19:16

Well that was a stroll in the park, Posh we abject and could of easily conceded another 2 or 3, it really was that easy.

Kebe was on fire, verging on unplayable, but his final ball still frustrates. For his goal it looked like; bobble - can't control it, bobble - can't control it, bobble - can't control it, oh sod it I'll just smack it - GOAL!

Henry showed his how to cross later in the game when he came on as he put in 3 or 4 decent crosses rather than spooning it up in the air or ovehitting it. But a fine game from Jimmy and you still think something special will happen as soon as he gets the ball.

Long took his goal well, you can see how far he's improved this season in those situations, he looks strong and clinical whereas last season he'd of been lightweight or miscontrolled it.

Quite pleased for Jobi to finally get his goal, from early on he was trying hard cutting in and shooting. It's long overdue.

Overall the players really seemed to be enjoying themselves and played some cracking stuff, my MOTM is a toss up between Tabby and Bertie who were quite outstanding.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Apr 2010 19:21

I was impressed with Henry actually, he did 3/4 top quality passes/crosses. But he does move at a canter so we possibly need to inject some pace into his game if he is going to fit into our style of play. I am feeling really positive about what we have in terms of youth/experience but we need to secure those loanees. I am confident the bottom three in the prem as it is will go down and frankly none of them worry me at all and will have financial difficulty at hull and pompey with player exoduses.

If we show a bit of ambition in the summer and give brian a fair crack at promotion we have a great chance. I really hope the board don't shirk their responsibility to invest again this summer.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 17 Apr 2010 19:33

Sky currently showing champ highlights so hopefully see some off the goals in a min.

Edit.. Didn't show them
Last edited by comeonyouroyals on 17 Apr 2010 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 17 Apr 2010 19:34

FiNeRaIn I was impressed with Henry actually, he did 3/4 top quality passes/crosses. But he does move at a canter so we possibly need to inject some pace into his game if he is going to fit into our style of play.

He is almost the complete opposite of Kebe. No pace, but can really place a cross. I think a lot of people expect him to be like our other wingers, so get frustrated when he would rather play a quick one-two with another player to get the space he needs. I reckon he would combine well with Church.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2010 19:37

Could potentially work well as a foil on the other flank to Kebe. One quick and devastating, the other slower but more precise. Put a quick full back behind him and bingo. Shame Both really play on the right best.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Apr 2010 19:39

I recall him having some pace, but he did do his cruciate as a teenager which must have affected that.

He's still composed on the ball and some of his crossing was top-class, and we all know he is more than capable of banging in goals based on his loans.

I think he needs a real chance in this league before we let him go because with more experience he could be a good player for us.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Apr 2010 19:43

Guys, I dont' think he lacks pace at all, just the determination to use it. He did one run when he didn't have the ball and really burst towards the box and his pace shocked me a bit. I think he's fairly quick, but he likes to keep the ball when he has it at a certain tempo and wants to do things slowly. He honestly looks like he needs a run of championship games, some raw ability there but the style here is different to league one and our style is very different to Millwalls. Its going to be tough for him to displace anyone but he's a great option to have.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 17 Apr 2010 19:47

a few thoughts

- Howard was immense today, his passing and tracking was first-rate, my MOTM.
- Kébé yet again brilliant, he could have had a hat-trick but for composure (offsides and finishes).
- Long looked off the pace, for all his efforts he didn't get the rub of the green today (apart from a marginal onside call for his goal).
- McAnuff had his best game in a while, crosses found men and his run and shot were probably the best of all 6 goals.
- If we keep the three loanees next year (who were all brilliant today), and the same core of players, we will be top 6. McD seems to have found his formation in this 4-2-3-1, now with a post-season to reflect and strengthen, we'll be back stronger next year.
- Kneejerk reaction against the worst team in the Championship? Possibly, but look at how we've played the last few games under McD. If we finish the season strongly there's no reason we can't start off again next year.

Ratings: All 8 except Howard/Kébé/Bertrand 9, and Long 7

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 17 Apr 2010 19:53

I thought some of Henry's passing was poor today. Simple passes were mis-timed or inaccurate.
Perhaps he's a little rusty, but there's something about him I just don't like, can't put my finger on it.

Anyway, great performance today, 4 or 5 players in with a MOTM shout, lovely sunshine, £50 discount on ST renewals, rum and coke at home.

I'm in a great mood!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 Apr 2010 19:53

Griffin can't settle down south and won't be returning.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Apr 2010 19:56

paultheroyal Griffin can't settle down south and won't be returning.

LOL@ can't settle down within the same country. He's playing at stoke which is like two hours away. Why not live there and commute?

If sig can settle moving from iceland at 14....

Seriously though its a shame if true, hasn't remotely effected his performances on the pitch.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Apr 2010 20:00

Henry showed he's a litte bit different to the other wingers we have today. Not the quickest, or the most skillful, but he has a fantastic right foot, and deserved a couple of assists for some of the balls he put into the box. Definitely worth sticking with IMO.

Howard was my MOTM. Gilkes couldn't shut up about Tabb on the radio, but I thought Brian ran the show today.

I have a feeling Gyfli won't be here next season after that performance.....

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Apr 2010 20:07

winchester_royal I have a feeling Gyfli won't be here next season after that performance.....

Just like everyone else who keeps repeating that statement, its complete nonsense.

He was missing against newcastle and only showed up for the last twenty of the game. He'll be playing more imposing midfields in the prem if he goes there. Today he wasn't close to being one of our better players. Tabb and howard ran that midfield big time aided by some fantastic wing play. Sig was fairly quiet other than the penalty incidents and a tap in.

He's a good player but he drifts in and out of games still and that will come with experience - he has huge potential and he excites me but tuesday was a bit of a reminder that he's human. No one will come up with a good enough offer for a club as financially secure as us so its a big non-story that he'll be off in the summer.

If he continues his rate of progression that he has been this season and we fail to win promotion next year it may be more of a talking point. As it stands im fully confident we have a season of sig at LEAST ahead of us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2010 20:10

Possibly a January move for a lower Prem team could be a goer, but I also can't see him moving in the summer.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Apr 2010 20:12

FiNeRaIn
winchester_royal I have a feeling Gyfli won't be here next season after that performance.....

Just like everyone else who keeps repeating that statement, its complete nonsense.

He was missing against newcastle and only showed up for the last twenty of the game. He'll be playing more imposing midfields in the prem if he goes there. Today he wasn't close to being one of our better players. Tabb and howard ran that midfield big time aided by some fantastic wing play. Sig was fairly quiet other than the penalty incidents and a tap in.

He's a good player but he drifts in and out of games still and that will come with experience - he has huge potential and he excites me but tuesday was a bit of a reminder that he's human. No one will come up with a good enough offer for a club as financially secure as us so its a big non-story that he'll be off in the summer.

If he continues his rate of progression that he has been this season and we fail to win promotion next year it may be more of a talking point. As it stands im fully confident we have a season of sig at LEAST ahead of us.

I hope you're right, but that's what Southampton fans weer saying about Walcott and Bale, Derby fans about Huddlestone etc...

I imagine there were plently of premier league representatives (I think I spotted Ray Lewington) at the game today, and I doubt they'd be willing to wait until the end of next season where we could have a much stronger negotiating position if we get promoted. There will be offers, and I just hope Madejski is strong enough to resist.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Apr 2010 20:22

What a brilliant performance from the lads. To think that only a few months ago this would've been a relegation scrap the turn around has been amazing.

Fed - Good distribution didn't have a save to make.7
Griff - We have to try our upmost to sign him thought he defended well and what a ball to release Kebe for his goal. Looked like his presence made Henry more confident than he's been before.8
Pearce - Much maligned but he did a good job in the air took his goal well.7
Gary - Solid and provided that extra touch of class.8
Bertrand - A great foil for Jobi. Another loanee we have to sign up for next year.8

Kebe - Should have done better with the 1 on 1 but took his goal excellently and gave the full back a torrid time.8
Tabby - Once again the little fella was everywhere. my MOM .10
Gylfi - My POTS and he was instrumental again today. Another calm penalty and saved Longy's blushes with his second. Shouldn't have been booked for diving he's NOT that sort of player.9
Howard - Wonderful left foot and workrate. Was very sceptical about him when he signed. Another player to have shined under Brian.9
Jobi - Great goal, had one of his best games for a while and worked well with Berty.9

Shane - Held the ball up well. I was right in front of his goal and he took it well holding of the defender and finishing well (Reminiscent of the great Nicky Forster).8

Bryn - solid in the little time he had on the pitch. Good to see him back after that horrible head clash the other night.6
Jem - Filled in well for Tabb.6

That is really harsh on Henry Kitson12. As others have said he put in some very good crosses into the box (something I've rarely seen HRK do) that should have resulted in better finishes from the players on the end of them. He did some not so clever things like the over hit cross out to the left wing and the corner that bent out of play then again a couple of weeks ago I saw a Real Madrid player fall flat on his arse and send a corner into the advertising hoardings, it happens even to top players.7

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 17 Apr 2010 20:24

Ian Royal What's that? Another clean sheet with Pearce in the side? He's awful isn't he... :roll:

:lol:

Another product of the Brian McDermott school of man management.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 17 Apr 2010 20:39

paultheroyal Griffin can't settle down south and won't be returning.

How would he know ?

He's not tried !

He's been here on loan for a few months so presumably hasn;t bought a place, hasn't moved his family down etc.

You cannot possibly decide whether you have 'settled' based on a couple of months living out of a hotel.

He may well decide he doesn;t want to try, and that's his right. But to say he 'can't settle' seems to be like saying Gylfi has decided he's not up to Premiership football !

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 17 Apr 2010 20:40

Just to have my say on the Henry situation. Last season away at Brum, he started the game and looked quality, showed his potential. I really rate the lad, i hope we keep him and he could be a good squad player for us next season. If we gave him a run in the team, i dont think he would dissapoint. Even if he is medicore like Robson-kanu/Karacan, its better having your homegrown players as squad players, rather than journeymen, Brooker/owusu etc

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Apr 2010 20:44

Martin Allen was there