Zurab - I want to come back

169 posts
ScottishRoyal

Re: Zurab - I want to come back

by ScottishRoyal » 25 Jun 2010 20:42

Sun Tzu Blackburn could also pay off his contract and make him a free agent.

That's true though perhaps more likely is tat they'll still command a fee though a lower fee than they were asking for previously. I think McDermott is probably just playing a waiting game here. He'll know exactly who else is interested in Zurab and when any other bids are submitted so is in no hurry to seal the transfer. Zurab has indicated a willingness to come here and so, with bids likely to come from other Championship clubs or foreign equivalents, an equal bid would probably see him come to Reading. As time passes with no interest, Blackburn will be forced to lower their asking fee so as not to be left paying Zurabs wagest post-tranfer window.

I think he'd be a great transfer and a starter. He may not be much better than Ivar but over a 46 game season that little means a lot, even more so with Pearce. He has a great amount of awareness, positioning and class about him that is rare in a 28 year old outside the Prem. If we can get him and he doesn't break the bank then we should do it.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 26 Jun 2010 00:41

Terminal Boardom Another ploy from the club to con people into buying STs.

Sceptism and apathy in one post. Frank Fickle is still alive and kicking!!!!!!!!

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 26 Jun 2010 14:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup
FiNeRaIn
2 world wars, 1 world cup Exactly.

He hasn't done enough to prove he's a starter.

He's a squad player, no more.

So I hope we don't break the bank for him.

If he omes on a free or small fee and doesn't cost much muh wage-wise I say take him. Otherwise I'm not fussed in the slightest.

Awful, awful post. Majorly incorrect.

He was top draw for us and would be our first choice partner for mills without question.

Ok fair enough. What do others think?

Have to say that I thought he was a class act.

Very calm and composed with great reading of the game. Made things look effortless at times which is why he may be being under-rated by some.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Jun 2010 15:21

I'm taking the middle ground. Very good, but not so good as to make me think he's a must have and will change our season, or that he is necessarily head and shoulders above Pearce and Ivar, but probably a better option than Pearce or Ivar.

Looked to be a bit of a card magnet too in terms of an entire season of play.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 26 Jun 2010 16:40

Ian Royal I'm taking the middle ground. Very good, but not so good as to make me think he's a must have and will change our season, or that he is necessarily head and shoulders above Pearce and Ivar, but probably a better option than Pearce or Ivar.

He's much better than Pearce and Ingimarsson, his reading of the game, timing of tackles and distribution is spot on and to say he was a card magnet sums up your knowledge of football, no bloody idea. He's too good for the Championship and if we can get him it'll be a massive coup.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jun 2010 10:44

According to papers, Sheff Utd are interested in him

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jun 2010 10:44

Royalee
Ian Royal I'm taking the middle ground. Very good, but not so good as to make me think he's a must have and will change our season, or that he is necessarily head and shoulders above Pearce and Ivar, but probably a better option than Pearce or Ivar.

He's much better than Pearce and Ingimarsson, his reading of the game, timing of tackles and distribution is spot on and to say he was a card magnet sums up your knowledge of football, no bloody idea. He's too good for the Championship and if we can get him it'll be a massive coup.

+1

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 27 Jun 2010 10:51

loyalroyal4life According to papers, Sheff Utd are interested in him

He wouldn't go there, he'd come to Reading.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Jun 2010 11:28

I think it's a non-starter really.

The transfer fee is important, but what is crucial is that we'd be making the third or fourth choice centre half our top-paid player. That makes no sense.

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 27 Jun 2010 11:36

Handsome Man I think it's a non-starter really.

The transfer fee is important, but what is crucial is that we'd be making the third or fourth choice centre half our top-paid player. That makes no sense.

Second choice, Mills then Zurab

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jun 2010 11:54

toppy

Far from clear that would be the case. The likes of you and Royalee may think it's a no brainer that he's second choice, but not everyone agrees, and I think there is a fair amount of evidence that McDermott may fall into the latter group.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jun 2010 11:57

toppy

And even if Ivar is ahead of him, he hasn't managed a full season in 3 years

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 27 Jun 2010 12:00

Ian Royal
toppy

Far from clear that would be the case. The likes of you and Royalee may think it's a no brainer that he's second choice, but not everyone agrees, and I think there is a fair amount of evidence that McDermott may fall into the latter group.

Dont remember the use of 'no brainer', or any words to that effect. But yes, he would be my second choice, as I think he is calm, composed and read the game well, when I watched him last year from my season ticket seat, in the ground.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 27 Jun 2010 13:54

Ian Royal
toppy

To be fair I don't think that's true Ian. Everybody I talk to and many posters on here think he'd be a starter, a majority I think. And there is no evidence to suggest that McDermott doesn't see Zurab as a starter, when he was at Reading last year he tended to start games except when carrying injuries, and the evidence for him not being a Reading player yet is that our valuation doesn't match Blackburns.

Also take into account that at Ivars age his performance as a centre back will drop each season now, and Pearce is far from ready to make the step up to permanent starter.

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 27 Jun 2010 14:33

third or forth? first or second! he and matt mills were by far our best centre backs.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Jun 2010 17:39

Urinal Mint

third or forth? first or second! he and matt mills were by far our best centre backs.

Why didn't he start more games then?

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 27 Jun 2010 19:01

Avon Royal Have to say that I thought he was a class act.

Very calm and composed with great reading of the game. Made things look effortless at times which is why he may be being under-rated by some.

My opinion, too, & I would be very happy to have him back. I doubt we'll be able to find the money, though, as I think BM wouldn't see him as a guaranteed starter.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Jun 2010 22:01

He's not head and shoulders above Pearce and Ivar. He is head, shoulders, knees and toes above them. And eyes and ears and mouth and nose, for that matter.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jun 2010 22:29

floyd__streete

He's not head and shoulders above Pearce and Ivar. He is head, shoulders, knees and toes above them. And eyes and ears and mouth and nose, for that matter.

Fancy a car Floyd? Spot on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Jun 2010 22:55

Meh, I'd probably have him starting ahead of those two, but I just don't think it's that clear cut.

169 posts