Davies and Mooney told to find new Clubs

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Davies and Mooney told to find new Clubs

by Wimb » 14 Jul 2010 12:12

Good luck to them both but probably best for them and the club. Sadly we are at a point now where being a 'good little player' isn't quite good enough and it's the same reason the likes of Sammy Igoe, John Mackie etc never really hung around here after promotion. The higher you go, the finer the line and they've just not quite made it.

Still wish them both well.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Jul 2010 12:23

Thomas L'Heureux
Maguire Why does everyone r8 Davies so highly? He's done nothing for Reading and if he was going to break into the first team squad then he'd have done it by now.

I still think he can have a good league career etc but there's no point him hanging around Reading now.

Mooney, I think we all know won't take us to the next level. So good luck to him too.

It's hard to be remembered for doing anything in a Reading shirt when he's hardly ever been in one.

Last pre-season, he and Robson-Kanu were the only two consistent players, with Davies both scoring and assisting in volume. He started the league season in the first team, was man of the match on the opening day against 'Forest, and was unlucky not to score with a couple of his efforts (should've claimed an assist when he fired the ball across goal but the (at the time) hapless Kebe couldn't divert it in from a couple of yards out.

I don't think Davies was dropped from the team due to ability, but more the fact that Rogers was not getting results and was therefore constantly changing both our formation and personnel due to his cluelessness and desperation.

I concur

I still think a season long loan at a top 6 League 1 side would've been a good move for Davies to get a load of games in a good side under his belt. He's still only 22 and we could then be in a better position to judge next Summer.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 Jul 2010 12:47

Davies is too scatty to make it at the moment. Needs to grow up a bit, moving away will help him loads. I wouldn't be suprised if Hammond negotiated a buy back, he has something about him. Do think he could have future at the club

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Jul 2010 12:49

Don't think either of them can say they couldn't see it coming... although they may have hoped.

chandog

by chandog » 14 Jul 2010 12:59

fully agree with letting mooney go. has never really had a chance in the first team and i cant see how this would change this season so would only end up in loaning him out again and him scoring a few goals in league 1.

i like davies but with the amount of competition for places in our midfield cant see him getting many games for us this year so maybe trying to cash in on him now rather than sending him out on loan again is the right move for him and the club

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jul 2010 13:03

LoyalRoyalFan McDermott obviously didn't rate Davies as much as Rodgers did.
Maybe there's someone else comming though who has more potential or McDermott has his eye on someone else.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 14 Jul 2010 13:17

As Forbury and Royal Rother have pointed out if Davies hasn't quite reached his potential then it's time to see if someone from the Academy (are there any Centre Midfielders added to the squad this year?) ready to progess up and be given a chance.

Hopefully Davies will get picked up a League1 club, get a full season under his belt and move forward in the way that Simon Cox did.

I don't think Mooney was ever going to cut it.

Interesting about Henry, they must see loads of potential in him in training as no one here seems to rate him and from what I've seen he looks lost in games, but he does have a quality delivery when he gets it right.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Jul 2010 13:41

That's a few more pennies off the wage bill. Not surprised to see them go but as football is an 11 a side game added to the level we play in this is hardly a surprise. Just because someone looks good playing for Aldershot does not necessarily mean that he can easily do the business in the Championship.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jul 2010 13:54

Terminal Boardom Just because someone looks good playing for Aldershot does not necessarily mean that he can easily do the business in the Championship.
You can take that the otherway too, Just because someone looks good on the international stage it doesn't mean they can easily do the business in the Championship (Marek Matejovski)

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Jul 2010 13:55

Terminal Boardom That's a few more pennies off the wage bill. Not surprised to see them go but as football is an 11 a side game added to the level we play in this is hardly a surprise. Just because someone looks good playing for Aldershot does not necessarily mean that he can easily do the business in the Championship.

Rather have Davies in the side than one foot Howard

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Jul 2010 13:59

LoyalRoyalFan McDermott obviously didn't rate Davies as much as Rodgers did. Mooney should of been given a chance.

Three managers, several years, nothing of note and he should have been given a chance?

c.h.r.i.s.t.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 14 Jul 2010 14:10

papereyes
LoyalRoyalFan McDermott obviously didn't rate Davies as much as Rodgers did. Mooney should of been given a chance.

Three managers, several years, nothing of note and he should have been given a chance?

c.h.r.i.s.t.

Let's be honest, he was never going to get a chance under Coppell really was he? None of the youngsters did other than when Church was bizarrely put on the right-wing in the play-offs.

Rodgers saw something in Davies and played him fairly regularly at first, but in my opinion he suffered because of Rodgers' lack of clarity in terms of tactics and team selection when results didn't go for him. He showed signs of an amateur and kept completely changing the team around, meaning Davies lost his place.

McDermott inherited a side and stuck with it for the most part. He didn't make too many drastic changes to personnel, and by this time Siggy had come to the fore and was in great form, so Davies had little chance to stake a claim.

Big Foot Rather have Davies in the side than one foot Howard

To be honest, so would I.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 14 Jul 2010 14:23

Bit harsh on Howard. He is Mr Average, but he really does do a great job in there with Tabb.

Those 2 allow us to play pretty much 4 2 4.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 14 Jul 2010 14:25

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Bit harsh on Howard. He is Mr Average, but he really does do a great job in there with Tabb.

The key word there is 'Tabb' mate.

People have complained that Davies gives possession away too easily, but for someone with ample more experience, Howard is just as bad in that sense.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 14 Jul 2010 14:25

I was talking about Mooney. Thought I'd bolded it.

He's had a decent shot at being here. He's not better than what we've got but by virtue of not playing, he deserves a far greater chance to show how average he is ...

genius.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 14 Jul 2010 14:28

papereyes I was talking about Mooney. Thought I'd bolded it.

He's had a decent shot at being here. He's not better than what we've got but by virtue of not playing, he deserves a far greater chance to show how average he is ...

genius.

You did mate, sorry. I confess, I am an idiot.

I agree though, Mooney clearly isn't good enough.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Jul 2010 15:09

Thomas L'Heureux
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Bit harsh on Howard. He is Mr Average, but he really does do a great job in there with Tabb.

The key word there is 'Tabb' mate.

People have complained that Davies gives possession away too easily, but for someone with ample more experience, Howard is just as bad in that sense.

Yup and Davies looked to have a good stamina level whereas Howard is often resembling a panting dog by half time

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 14 Jul 2010 15:56

I'll miss Davies and hope he goes somewhere good.
I thought he was going to be brilliant after seeing him against Chelsea, and he looked ok against Forest. To get in the team now though, Sigurdson and a hell of a lot of the strikers would have to be injured.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Jul 2010 17:59

Arthur Pint As Forbury and Royal Rother have pointed out if Davies hasn't quite reached his potential then it's time to see if someone from the Academy (are there any Centre Midfielders added to the squad this year?) ready to progess up and be given a chance.

Hopefully Davies will get picked up a League1 club, get a full season under his belt and move forward in the way that Simon Cox did.

I don't think Mooney was ever going to cut it.

Interesting about Henry, they must see loads of potential in him in training as no one here seems to rate him and from what I've seen he looks lost in games, but he does have a quality delivery when he gets it right.

The club would be in big trouble if they listened to what most of the people on HNA think about players and tactics.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Jul 2010 18:09

It's always sad when players move on, especially ones who a one time looked promising.

Mooney has never really done much to suggest he was going to put pressure on the firstteam, even his spells out on loan have been 'average'.

Davies to me looks like he hasn't got the determination to push on that Gylfi has shown. I agree he had a couple of good cameos at the start of last season, but then what ? He may prove us wrong elsewhere, but if he does he'll be the exception to the rule as not many who get released go on to bigger things.....

I wish them both well.