Supporters' opinion of STAR?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 12 Jan 2007 11:41

Keeper
royal goof For the member who has some ideas on how the 'coaches/fans' situation could be improved then it would be great to hear your ideas. STAR could then maybe use these in their forthcoming meeting with SAG.

I am a STAR Board member so I will discuss this with starliaison when we both get a chance.

Why don't they all upload their photo on star-reading.org so we know who they are?
and have some decent ones taken

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 12 Jan 2007 17:35

royal goof and in a private message that I received the tone wasn't great.. That's why I criticised.

sorry if you didn't like thetone but in your pm you asked who to contact at the club and I responded that if you weren't happy with our results you should contact the stadium manager and gave his details.

I did also say that no-one else had brought the subject to our notice in response to your mention of the level of support.

The first I thought was being helpful to enable you to pursue this in parallel, as I did not say there was nothing more we could do, but that we had had their explanations, the second is factually correct.

I am sorry if you think this means I do not care it doesn't, but it does indicate that a lot of others do not care sufficiently to post on the thread let alone send a mail to info@star-reading.org, and despite my request for more information no-one has let me have anything: this is especally important when you raise a subject here rather than direct with us as the anonymity and no evidence enables the club to dismiss it more easily.

I agree communication needs improvement but when we are trying to respond promptly to communications despite many other calls on our time, sometimes the short response is not clear enough. I am not looking for sympathy but you do have to allow for other things in people's lives.

royal goof

by royal goof » 13 Jan 2007 10:48

starliaison
royal goof and in a private message that I received the tone wasn't great.. That's why I criticised.

sorry if you didn't like thetone but in your pm you asked who to contact at the club and I responded that if you weren't happy with our results you should contact the stadium manager and gave his details.

I did also say that no-one else had brought the subject to our notice in response to your mention of the level of support.

The first I thought was being helpful to enable you to pursue this in parallel, as I did not say there was nothing more we could do, but that we had had their explanations, the second is factually correct.

I am sorry if you think this means I do not care it doesn't, but it does indicate that a lot of others do not care sufficiently to post on the thread let alone send a mail to info@star-reading.org, and despite my request for more information no-one has let me have anything: this is especally important when you raise a subject here rather than direct with us as the anonymity and no evidence enables the club to dismiss it more easily.

I agree communication needs improvement but when we are trying to respond promptly to communications despite many other calls on our time, sometimes the short response is not clear enough. I am not looking for sympathy but you do have to allow for other things in people's lives.

My original post was solely about the safety of supporters and that I felt it was important enough to be addressed. People have posted on the thread to back this up and there are a lot of people (that don't access this forum) who are getting annoyed after the game and are making it clear to the stewards.

Anyway, I see no point in continuing this 'tit for tat'.

Hopefully the situation will be improved and if it does then I sincerely thank you for your help.

If it doesn't then there will be an increased risk of an accident and the club (not STAR) will be responsible.

Cheers

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Supporters' opinion of STAR?

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2007 18:56

royal goof
Dirk Gently
royal goof
Slinky
royal goof I have my opinion which I expressed on a thread that has been mysteriously 'wiped', which leads me to believe that my thoughts are somewhere near the truth.

I am therefore interested to hear the opinions of other supporters?

Please discuss..

They do a great job and give the fans and opportunity to direct opinions towards the club that would otherwise go unheard as well as loads of other things behind the scene!

I don't understand the constant slating of STAR by certain individuals, no-one is forcing people to pay the membership and join up! :roll:

This thread is partly aimed at the success stories that STAR have brought about. And which I think it would be good to hear about. ie. A suggestion that has been made to them and followed though successfully for the benefit of the majority of supporters.

As well as some of the things that, in my opinion, aren't taken seriously enough/followed through, because of the personal opinions of prominent STAR members..

So if you have an issue with any of these things do please let people know what they are. I'm sure everyone will be happy to discuss them and see what the consensus is, and I'm sure the people from STAR who you think have such problematic opinions will explain why their policy is what it is. So come on - more details rather than such vague innuendo.

And, of course, as STAR is a democratic organisation, if you're a member you have every right to stand for election to put right the things you think aren't being done properly. I'm assuming you are a member, as you have so much to say about them.

Please refer to the thread on 'stewards & away coaches' for the reasoning behind my frustration.

Unfortunately I have got the impression that because prominent members of STAR are either:

1. are not directly affected by this issue or
2. do not agree with the majority of other supporters that this is dangerous/poor procedure..

..and therefore they are not interested in pursuing this matter with the club properly and if they have tried then they offer no 'weight' to get something done about it.

Don't worry, eventually someone will be knocked down by one of the coaches/buses and then the club themselves will have to face up to their own stupidity. I can not believe that they are so hot on things like standing and yet seem happy to turn a blind eye to this potential hazard.

Maybe they should adopt the someone shouting with megaphone = safety approach to standing as well!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 Jan 2007 06:18

It should be noted that this risk has publically been talked about, and when the day comes the club will be in serious trouble, for not acting adequately on an assessed risk.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jan 2007 12:41

Has it been talked about with the club though? - They could argue that whilst it was talked about publicly nobody actually mentioned it to them.

I suggest those concerned write a letter to the club, STAR and local MP. That way it is documented.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 14 Jan 2007 18:53

Forbury Lion Has it been talked about with the club though? - They could argue that whilst it was talked about publicly nobody actually mentioned it to them.

I suggest those concerned write a letter to the club, STAR and local MP. That way it is documented.

Read the thread Mr Moddy,

For the record, this matter was discussed with RFC's Senior Management Board in the week before Xmas, and various suggestions were made. The club has committed to look again at procedures and to report back at the next meeting.

its all there if you read it :wink:

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 15 Jan 2007 11:10

The 17 Bus
Forbury Lion Has it been talked about with the club though? - They could argue that whilst it was talked about publicly nobody actually mentioned it to them.

Read the thread Mr Moddy,

For the record, this matter was discussed with RFC's Senior Management Board in the week before Xmas, and various suggestions were made. The club has committed to look again at procedures and to report back at the next meeting.

its all there if you read it :wink:

Correct Mr Bus but I agree with the statue in so far as no-one has actually documented their concerns except on this thread, and that does tend to downgrade the response we get from the club.

Whilst this forum is very useful, our complaints are taken much more seriously when we can produce letters from specific (and not anonymous) supporters to us.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 15 Jan 2007 11:30

Presumably e-mails will suffice, If we add our name/address etc.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 15 Jan 2007 13:03

Forbury Lion Presumably e-mails will suffice, If we add our name/address etc.

Yes, it is the anonymity that undermines anyarguement, as it can be considered a barrier to hide behind and impossible to follow up to verify thecomplaint. Send any email to info@star-reading.org as that goes to 2 board members to prevent overlooking by one person (or spam filter!).