Linking Tickets - where is the answer?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2006 09:16

starliaison
Platypuss Please let me know where the club have said it will be possible to buy a Charlton ticket without also buying a Man United one.

Thanks.

PS, from the thread on CP it would appear that STAR weren't told the full story anyway - STAR were apparently told that the Man U game could be linked to ANY "lower-demand" game, not the specific Charlton game.

Does STAR's current take on the issue correspond to this interpretation or the actually implemented one?

Sorry I have been away and I know that unfortunately STAR CAMPAIGNS is away now too.

The proposal put to us was that to buy a ticket for the big attractions for the arm-chair fans the club would link them with a ticket for any silver game. This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season. The linking to a specific game was not the deal we were told about. I will try to find out more after the bank holiday but I do know that there are several people at the club making the most of the gap between the Boro and the City games to have their holidays so am not sure what I can discover in the short term.

And I'm sure the remainder left at the MadStad will be flat-out busy fine-tuning the details of the buyback scheme? :lol:

Honestly - are the club actually going to introduce this or are they just going to pretend that they never promised it in the first place?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 29 Aug 2006 09:17

Jerry St Clair
starliaison This seemed a good idea as Royalty points alone may not stop people from trying to abuse the system and any real Reading fan would be able to find another game in the silver band in the rest of the season.

What an admission this is!

Can the club explain what exactly Royalty Points are for then, if not to ensure loyal fans get first dibs on tickets?

Idiot - everyone knows it's for (rather unsuccessfully) bribing people to go to pre-season friendlies.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Aug 2006 13:10

If tickets are to be linked, Why not give the customer a choice of which less glamourous game to attend?

Why not also do it in reverse - Only allow those who bought tickets to more than 15 Coca Cola Championship games buy tickets? - I'll tell you why, because it adds no additional revenue, unlike selling tickets for future games.

If Royalty points have not worked because the club have not weighted games correctly. Premiership fixtures should earn no more than half the points of last seasons Championship fixtures with big games like Man Utd earning none whatsoever.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 29 Aug 2006 13:34

I think if the club really do want to link games to increase attendances, the Charlton game should be linked to Darlington. Buy 2 tickets, get a tenner off. Or something like that.

Some people seem to think the club have linked Man Utd to Charlton to put off the plastic fans. Personally I think they dont care who buys the tickets, but if they can force people into buying another ticket at the same time then its more money for them all round.

Also the linking scheme would be better if you had the option of paying in two payments - one charge for the Man Utd game and then one a few weeks later for the Charlton game. I know that would be far too difficult for the ticket office to cope with, but I might make it more affordable.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Aug 2006 14:28

Jerry St Clair
RoyalBlue All the club is doing is making sure that people who come to a game against the big, popular, "plastic-attracating" clubs don't just come to that game, they come to one of the less popular games too.

Royalty points were intended to be the means rewarding loyal supporters and preventing the glory hunting plastics from getting their hands on the tickets for the big games at the expense of those who attend the lesser fixtures as well. That scheme was more than capable of achieving that objective, particularly as those with the higher points could only have achieved that by having supported the club during our Championship days.

'Linking' is just another desperate attempt to bleed yet more money out of supporters and could well leave the way open for glory hunting plastics to get their hands on the tickets for big games at the expense of less affluent but more loyal supporters. Therefore I think STAR are making a big mistake and failing their members in supporting this scheme.

Well said.

The "Royalty Points" system is quickly losing all credibility, firstly with the Feyenoord debacle and now this.

I have a horrible feeling the club will come up with a wierd and wacky ticket selling scheme for the Darlington cup game. Watch this space.

It'll be something stupid like 50 points if you go. Guaranteed.

Let's face it, if the club make this more than a fiver then there will be hardly any RFC fans there to see our Academy and reserve players. I know Darlington get a say as to the ticket prices but as it will be mid-week and possibly on the TV then I can't see them demanding a huge price

B16

by B16 » 29 Aug 2006 14:36

Who would put Reading Reserves v Darlington on the TV, it sounds less atractive than Reading v Wigan, I'll still be going mind

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Aug 2006 16:20

I'm just glad to see the increase on ST's and the rise in ticket prices is being put to good use in bolstering the team and giving them a chance to compete in the Premiership - or whatever old bobbins the excuse was when these prices were announced. :evil:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 Aug 2006 17:14

B16 Who would put Reading Reserves v Darlington on the TV, it sounds less atractive than Reading v Wigan, I'll still be going mind
Less attractive than Reading reserves v Arsenal reserves???

Will probably be an accademy team with a few reserve players chucked in.

Wouldn't surprise me if Darlington beat us due to us putting out a weakened team.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Aug 2006 17:15

B16 Who would put Reading Reserves v Darlington on the TV, it sounds less atractive than Reading v Wigan, I'll still be going mind

Sky always pick the game with a decent chance of a minnow winning in the initial rounds. Let's face it, not a single Prem team is going to play a first team so we might have a shout. My money would be on Chesterfield v Man City and Scunthorpe V Aston Villa

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Aug 2006 19:46

Royal Lady I'm just glad to see the increase on ST's and the rise in ticket prices is being put to good use in bolstering the team and giving them a chance to compete in the Premiership - or whatever old bobbins the excuse was when these prices were announced. :evil:

who is old bobbins?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 30 Aug 2006 10:48

STAR, could you please clarify from the club for once and for all whether it is possible to buy a ticket for Charlton without having to also buy one for Man United.

Thanks.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 30 Aug 2006 17:35

As posted on the CP forum I emailed the club to register my protest. Some of the response is written below.Thought it might be of interest and usefulness.

We are also very keen to ensure the team is cheered on by full houses in all the
games leading up to Christmas.

All linked games will remain linked until tickets have been on general sale for
7 days, any tickets available after that date will be sold for individual
matches.

So it seems that they will become unlinked! It's pot luck. Hold on and you may get tickets for either

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Aug 2006 23:57

Platypuss STAR, could you please clarify from the club for once and for all whether it is possible to buy a ticket for Charlton without having to also buy one for Man United.

Thanks.

Well surely it can't be, as the purchase of an individual Charlton ticket would 'de-link' a ticket for the United game.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 31 Aug 2006 00:01

cmonurz
Platypuss STAR, could you please clarify from the club for once and for all whether it is possible to buy a ticket for Charlton without having to also buy one for Man United.

Thanks.

Well surely it can't be, as the purchase of an individual Charlton ticket would 'de-link' a ticket for the United game.

Of course; I've been saying the very same right from the start.

I'd just like to see the official line taken to that specific question and also whether STAR are still supporting this policy of the club.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 31 Aug 2006 08:32

Platypuss

I'd just like to see the official line taken to that specific question and also whether STAR are still supporting this policy of the club.

Sorry I have asked but only recently and as I have not had any spare time during the working day have not followed up yet. Today is hell as well so don't hold your breath for an answer immediately.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 31 Aug 2006 08:34

Isn't it really just a theoretical situation though. The ManU game will sell out, which will automatically sell out the Charlton game?

Also the fixtures are 7 weeks apart so the Charlton tickets wouldn't have gone on sale to let you de-link the tickets/games..

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 06 Sep 2006 23:44

starliaison
Platypuss

Sorry I have asked but only recently and as I have not had any spare time during the working day have not followed up yet. Today is hell as well so don't hold your breath for an answer immediately.

So have STAR not come up with any response to this yet, or are they hoping we will forget and it will just go away?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 07 Sep 2006 09:01

londinium
starliaison
Platypuss

So have STAR not come up with any response to this yet, or are they hoping we will forget and it will just go away?

Have not had a constructive response yet, it will be pursued at the next management meeting we attend which is very soon. If I get a chance before I will but it depends on a lot of other factors.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Sep 2006 13:23

That suggests STAR have been provided with a less than constructive response - I'd be interested to know what it was!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 07 Sep 2006 13:37

RoyalBlue That suggests STAR have been provided with a less than constructive response - I'd be interested to know what it was!

Probably a cut and paste from Debbie Gadsby!