UPDATE - Radio Contract

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 25 Jul 2006 15:09

I encourage everyone who hasn't applied for STAR to do so now!

http://www.star-reading.org/index.pl

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 25 Jul 2006 21:21

Instead of buying a new home shirt for £40, donate the money to Star / BBCRB. The fans are no worse off and the club is taught a lesson.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 25 Jul 2006 21:47

and is no worse off as it rakes in something like 40k from BBCRB, which is 1000 shirts worth.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 25 Jul 2006 21:52

The 17 Bus and is no worse off as it rakes in something like 40k from BBCRB, which is 1000 shirts worth.

If the shirts cost 0p to make and sell.. then yes.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Jul 2006 12:30

Taken from todays' Guardian Digger column

Reading radio rights row

Reading's preparations for their debut Premiership season are being overshadowed by a row between their chairman John Madejski and the BBC over radio commentary on Royals games. Last week Madejski awarded exclusive rights for local radio commentary to Reading 107, a city-based station owned by Madejski Communications. The deal shut out BBC Radio Berkshire, formerly co-holder of the rights, which balked at Madejski's demand for £87,000, up from £33,000 last season. With the Madejski-owned station available only in the city, supporters protested that 500,000 people living in the wider region previously catered to by the BBC would be denied access. With the Reading supporters' trust offering the BBC £5,000 to bridge the gap Madejski, who recently accused other Premiership clubs of greed, has reluctantly offered to reopen negotiations.

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 26 Jul 2006 13:18

What's the betting the whole thing is a cock-up, 107 weren't meant to be left holding the baby of exclusive rights once the price had reached a certain level, but greed got in the way?

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 26 Jul 2006 13:34

Whore Jackie Taken from todays' Guardian Digger column

Reading radio rights row

Reading's preparations for their debut Premiership season are being overshadowed by a row between their chairman John Madejski and the BBC over radio commentary on Royals games. Last week Madejski awarded exclusive rights for local radio commentary to Reading 107, a city-based station owned by Madejski Communications. The deal shut out BBC Radio Berkshire, formerly co-holder of the rights, which balked at Madejski's demand for £87,000, up from £33,000 last season. With the Madejski-owned station available only in the city, supporters protested that 500,000 people living in the wider region previously catered to by the BBC would be denied access. With the Reading supporters' trust offering the BBC £5,000 to bridge the gap Madejski, who recently accused other Premiership clubs of greed, has reluctantly offered to reopen negotiations.

any truth in that?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 26 Jul 2006 14:07

ellpryjon
Whore Jackie Taken from todays' Guardian Digger column

Reading radio rights row

any truth in that?

[quote="The Evening Post"]Fans show true Royals loyalty

Generous Royals fans have dug deep into their own pockets to help BBC Radio Berkshire win back the right to commentate on live games.

The Post can reveal that STAR (Supporters’ Trust At Reading) has been inundated with donations since John Madejski told our readers on Monday he would give the Beeb the rights if they all sent him £1.

The Evening Post reported yesterday that the Royals’ chairman had agreed to reopen talks with the BBC following an outcry from fans over his decision to axe the station from airing next season’s Premiership matches.

Loyal Royals were upset the rights had been given exclusively to Mr Madejski’s own station – Reading 107fm – which according to official radio statistics has a potential reach of some half a million fewer people than Radio Berkshire.

As the Post went to press, 1,134 loyal Royals had signed an online petition to reinstate the BBC’s rights and internet fanzine Hobnob was bombarded with messages from angry supporters.

The Post understands the club and the BBC were on the brink of reaching a deal last night and that “thousands of poundsâ€

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 26 Jul 2006 14:10

cheers :D

retired aggro
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Behaving in a drunk, Unruly And Arrogant, Truculent, Abusive And Non-compliant manner

by retired aggro » 26 Jul 2006 14:20

Blue Heart I'm very impressed with how STAR have handled this so far, and as I am not a member, I shall now be signing up as soon as I can find a form.

http://www.star-reading.org :D

Why? A success for the fans yes, for STAR no. Their involvement was no greater than yours, or many other people who acted on impulse and not on instruction. I'm pretty sure the same result would have come out if STAR was non existant. The power behind the posts on Team Sections sums up the feeling that the decision to give the rights to 107 had. The EP got on the case (nothing to do with STAR) and the petition was set up (nothing to do with STAR) and the emails were sent (nothing to do with STAR)

Petition to Reading Football Club was created by Members of HNA? and written by Andy Halls (andyhalls2004@hotmail.com)

Well done Andy Halls

This is what will hopefully be the first of many genuine supporter influences on the club and it would be a disaster if STAR were to claim the credit
Last edited by retired aggro on 26 Jul 2006 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Jul 2006 14:39

I've never seen STAR as glory hunters and their biggest problem is that they make a very good job of taking credit for things they have achieved, hence nobody knows about it and assumes they don't do anything.

My personal issue with STAR is that they have in the past donated alot of cash to charitable causes and I feel the cash would better serve it's members by simply staying in a bank account for times of need, Like this radio rights issue or any other issues that may come up in future - Like flying stranded fans home from the European Cup final after Reading win and the airline the fans booked on goes bust. Or perhaps more realistically problems that arise if Mr Mad sells up to investors with less integrity... or if he offers STAR the chance to increase their shareholding (Presumably when he sells up).

I don't mean to sound negative, STAR do a good job.

Blue Heart

by Blue Heart » 26 Jul 2006 14:57

retired aggro
Blue Heart I'm very impressed with how STAR have handled this so far, and as I am not a member, I shall now be signing up as soon as I can find a form.

http://www.star-reading.org :D

Why? A success for the fans yes, for STAR no. Their involvement was no greater than yours, or many other people who acted on impulse and not on instruction. I'm pretty sure the same result would have come out if STAR was non existant. The power behind the posts on Team Sections sums up the feeling that the decision to give the rights to 107 had. The EP got on the case (nothing to do with STAR) and the petition was set up (nothing to do with STAR) and the emails were sent (nothing to do with STAR)

Petition to Reading Football Club was created by Members of HNA? and written by Andy Halls (andyhalls2004@hotmail.com)

Well done Andy Halls

This is what will hopefully be the first of many genuine supporter influences on the club and it would be a disaster if STAR were to claim the credit[/quote]

Just one point RA I merely quoted from GAV and supplied the STAR Website address. I cannot possibly take credit for anything else. :wink:

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 26 Jul 2006 16:04

I can confirm it's true, I posted that original comment.

STAR have done a very good job as the body who are entering negotiations with the club and radio Berks from the fans point of view. We have needed a voice, and whilst I agree a lot of it is spontaneous, it is not organised in a manner in which we can approach the club effectively. This is why we have needed STAR, and this is why they have been invaluable.

People's biggest complaint with them over the years is that they are afraid to 'take the club on', well here they have, on an issue that really matters to the people they represent... And they seem to be having a positive influence on the discussions.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 26 Jul 2006 16:40

Gav People's biggest complaint with them over the years is that they are afraid to 'take the club on', well here they have, on an issue that really matters to the people they represent... And they seem to be having a positive influence on the discussions.

Chucking supporters' cash at the club (I could understand if we were Gillingham) is not "taking the club on".

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 26 Jul 2006 16:45

That Friday Feeling
Gav People's biggest complaint with them over the years is that they are afraid to 'take the club on', well here they have, on an issue that really matters to the people they represent... And they seem to be having a positive influence on the discussions.

Chucking supporters' cash at the club (I could understand if we were Gillingham) is not "taking the club on".

No, you're right. I didn't mean it to sound quite so revolutionary, but it is standing against the club.

I have seen numerous accusations that they nearly always tow the club's line, and here is an example where they haven't, yet have approached it in a manner likely to get a reasonable reaction from the club.

Keeper

by Keeper » 26 Jul 2006 18:10

That Friday Feeling

Its only recently been mentioned that STAR were prepared to contribute to the money needed by BBCRB, but the organised approach that STAR have had in this has contributed, along with the discussions on here and the petition which has made the Club react, remember that the Club may not have backed down without a STAR statement (true they may have though) but because STAR represent over 2000 fans and are respected within the Club that the Club may have realised that this issue was bigger than they realised.

Plus STAR have helped negotiations and have liaised with both parties, STAR have not tried to take credit for this, they just reacted to the thoughts of their members and have tried to do right by everyone.

Plus the mention of money was only ever in support of the suggestions on here for donations

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 26 Jul 2006 18:34

I think STAR should take some credit, I also thing they should try to increase revenue to make STAR more powerful, the parking is a good example.

In the past the Supporters club made big donations to RFC, if STAR were able to do something similar, but in exchange for a small stake then perhaps we would get a better club.

c_harrison

by c_harrison » 27 Jul 2006 08:17

What's annoyed me about this whole thing is John Mad said that 60k wouldn't pay for a players wages for a month (or something along those lines).

So rather than taking the 60k he would rather settle for nothing.

May not sound like a lot of money but 60k is 60k!

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 27 Jul 2006 09:03

The 17 Bus I think STAR should take some credit, I also thing they should try to increase revenue to make STAR more powerful, the parking is a good example.

In the past the Supporters club made big donations to RFC, if STAR were able to do something similar, but in exchange for a small stake then perhaps we would get a better club.

In fact the parking is not a revenue stream for STAR as we are only doing it to help our members park. It is also, we hope, the first of many such schemes if it works well for the land owner and provides a good example for other local businesses. They will be providing the staff and security and the land and we are just supplying the contacts. We would be happy to keep the revenue but as a ground breaker it seemed sensible to encourage the land owners as much as possible.

STAR would love to be able to increase its share holding , and if RFSC had indeed had shares for all its donations over the decades it would have been a major shareholder. However that is not the way the current Chairman works and shares are not available to buy let alone 'earn'.

This is maybe why the only donations we make to RFC itself now (other than advice :lol: ) is for specific projects for the Academy. After all when £65k is only one players wages for a month anything we raise is only scratching the surface.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 27 Jul 2006 09:10

retired aggro

You are entitled to you opinion but I would be interested if it is based on fact but rather on what you want to believe.

However the result is the important thing not who did what, or why, or even under whose instruction (I am interested whose instruction you are implying as it cannot be RFC which would be the normal allegation!).

It will be a victory for common sense and all those people who cannot, for whatever reason, attend games or receive 107fm.