Footie Fone In

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 03 Nov 2006 09:53

Elm Park or the Madejski Stadium?

Didn't Steve play in the ex-Royals game?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 03 Nov 2006 10:56

Steve from what I remember you were quite short...who was the tallest opponent you ever faced and how did they compare to someone like Peter Crouch?

If you were drafted in tomorrow by Coppell and had to play right back how would you deal with Crouch?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Nov 2006 12:09

When you tell people you used to play at leftback do they come out with the witty responde "what left back in the changing room?" and do you ever get sick of it?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Nov 2006 13:31

Steve, I heard that you're now a painter and decorator by trade? If so how much would you charge to emulsion a room that is approx 20 foot square - are you less or more expensive than Stuart Beavon?

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 03 Nov 2006 14:40

Silver Fox Steve, your shout of "away" was once so high pitched that my specatcles shattered in the South Bank, can I have fifty quid to replace them please.

:lol:

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Nov 2006 16:16

Steve - do you think your retirment had anything to do with Readings steady improvement from 1993 onwards?

Who was the prankster at reading during your decade with the club.

Mike Lewis once said that the file he had on Michael Gilkes was twice as thick as for any other player - tell us about his indiscretions.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Nov 2006 19:07

AthleticoSpizz
Ollie Any questions for Steve? The more Reading-related questions, the less Basingstoke chat... :wink:
or a bit of both

Q. During your time at The Camrose, which ex-Reading player has been the best acquisition?

and

If you could have one player on loan from our current squad, who would it be and why?
Thanks for jack Ollie........... :arrow:

never mind

well at least I now know that Stevie R masqueraded as Andy Alleyne against Southport many moons ago :? .what was that man on?..Andy Alleyne (I think) was Readings' first black player (unlike the unfortunately named Ces Podd who was Bradfords).....Southport bombed out of the FL in the early/mid 70's btw

and that he (Stevie R) favours Luther Vandross (the same as our resident Mr & Mrs did this afternoon on the Skinner show :wink: )

Ollie

by Ollie » 03 Nov 2006 23:17

AthleticoSpizz Thanks for jack Ollie........... :arrow:

never mind

Eh? Have I done something wrong? I wasn't in work today and didn't get to hear the show.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Nov 2006 23:25

you asked for questions (amongst the sarcasms) questions were asked

But we ended up with some moron mistaking Steve Richardson (from the 80/90's with Andy Alleyne from the 70's).......guess they all look the bloody same etc etc :roll:

and yes, the painter and decorator question was asked :arrow:

Ollie

by Ollie » 03 Nov 2006 23:36

Ah. That doesn't sound overly good - but as I was nowhere near the building at the time there isn't much I could have done!

Sometimes it's difficult to stop the sort of caller you'd refer to as a moron getting on air - many people sound very convincing and intellectual down the line until the moment they're being broadcast, at which point they turn into complete nutters. Sounds like there might have been one on this week's show - it's one of those things. I think Tim wants to endure that kind of call even less than you do, so it's not as though we're encouraging it!

The other thing is that because the show's primarily a phone-in, people who do call in with their questions tend to get priority over Tim's list of questions from texts and HNA. Obviously some people aren't in a position to call during the programme which is why you can leave questions here, but if ever you want to make sure your question gets asked, give us a call during the show - 0845 900 1041.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Nov 2006 23:45

no worries

not sure who was most bemused Tim or Stevie

can we have Andy Alleyne doing a cameo on the show?..........

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Nov 2006 23:52

There's been a sudden drop off in the quality and relevance of the guests you're getting of late?

Is this a deliberate ploy by Mr M. to make sure 107 gets the more interesting guests? i.e. He was embarrassed into not giving them the exclsuive commentary rights so he's trying other dirty tricks?

Ollie

by Ollie » 03 Nov 2006 23:52

Can always make enquiries :D - actually does anyone know what he's doing these days?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Nov 2006 12:13

Jamie Cureton's got to be worth a call, I understand he still lives in Reading so should be able to pop in when he doesn't have a game to prepare for.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Nov 2006 08:43

Will we be getting Mike Lewis shortly so he can plug his book.....

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Nov 2006 08:53

Barry the bird boggler Will we be getting Mike Lewis shortly so he can plug his book.....

Is that the book where Mike Lewis tells the story of how he was unwanted as a wartime baby and how he dreamed of becoming a footballer only to find his hopes dashed and having to find another route into the game he loved. Where he describes his love affair with his local team Newport County and how he found his first job in football at the club. Where he tells us of the many hilarious experiences that occurred at Newport before he was enticed away to the mighty Spurs to become their first Commercial Manager. The book that relives those glorious years at Spurs between 1978 and 1984 including the secrets behind Ricky Villa's wonder goal at Wembley. Whare he writes about his trip to the States when assigned to work alongside OJ Simpson, how he played Sunday morning football with Bobby Moore and Martin Peters, the excitement of working at Fulham with Al Fayed and Kevin Keegan and the trauma of being their Media Director at the time of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed's death. Where he tells of his time at Reading, working first with Terry Smee and then John Madejski, relating many anecdotes including encounters with 'wildman' Terry Hurlock and the pain suffered on a charity walk from Reading to Wembley Stadium. From his time as Chairman of Swansea City, and when he offers us an insight on how it really feels to receive threats of death and physical abuse, all in the name of trying to keep the club afloat. The book that describes the birth of Cyril the Swan, the most famous footballing mascot of all time (after Kingsley Royal of course) and how his invention had many scrapes with the law and where, as former co-owner of Exeter City, Mike reveals the true facts behind the demise of the club which ultimately led to his arrest. Where the author faces a Crown Court trial and the book explains the background to the charges being brought.

NEVER HEARD OF IT !!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Nov 2006 08:55

You are Mike Lewis's agent and I claim my £5

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Nov 2006 09:02

Barry the bird boggler You are Mike Lewis's agent and I claim my £5

Not yet published (Sep '07) but available for pre-order at £10.99 from all good bookshops. ISBN: 1904091202
I deny being in any way associated with Mike Lewis or any person or entity associated with him in the sale of the book
'The Trains Don't Stop There Anymore: The Life Story of a Footballing Nomad'

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 06 Nov 2006 09:30

M4 Junction 11 Where he tells of his time at Reading, working first with Terry Smee and then John Madejski, relating many anecdotes including encounters with 'wildman' Terry Hurlock and the pain suffered on a charity walk from Reading to Wembley Stadium.

Terry Smee?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 06 Nov 2006 09:46

That Friday Feeling
M4 Junction 11 Where he tells of his time at Reading, working first with Terry Smee and then John Madejski, relating many anecdotes including encounters with 'wildman' Terry Hurlock and the pain suffered on a charity walk from Reading to Wembley Stadium.

Terry Smee?

I guess it's a reference to Roger's brother
don't blame me ... I only cut and pasted the oxf*rd text