BBC Berks Reading FC Podcast interviews

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BBC Berks Reading FC Podcast interviews

by Forbury Lion » 16 Sep 2019 17:00

Listened to the Dave Kitson interview yesterday and it was just as interesting as the Steve Coppell podcast.

Having listened to it, If I ever spot Kitson out and about I will probably leave him alone knowing how uncomfortable it makes him feel when strangers approach him, He did say though that when someone approached him recently he knew it would be a friendly approach because the guy had a Steve Coppell type Reading jacket on.

He regrets not retiring after the 106 season, clearly not motivated by money.
Was clinically depressed when he moved to Stoke, regrets not retiring then and there when Reading said they would rather sell him than negotiate on the enforced pay cut (he'd overstretched on his mortgage - perhaps the club should think about providing financial advice to players)
Doesn't want to be a manager, coach, that sort of thing. Wants to be involved in the running of a club.
When at Reading his mentality was that he was the best player/first name on the teamsheet and as such had to justify that everytime he went on the pitch (He didn't actually tell people this).
Didn't get on with Sidwell
Surprisingly, in touch with alot of ex-team mates including Leroy Lita which surprised me as they seem like completely different characters.

The Cube

Re: BBC Berks Reading FC Podcast interviews

by The Cube » 16 Sep 2019 21:49

Forbury Lion ...he'd overstretched on his mortgage ...

That's an incredible coincidence - The Secret Footballer had the same problem. And the same solution. And the same outcome.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Sep 2019 10:19

The Cube
Forbury Lion ...he'd overstretched on his mortgage ...

That's an incredible coincidence - The Secret Footballer had the same problem. And the same solution. And the same outcome.
Probably around the same time too.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Oct 2019 16:20

Listening to the Brian McDermott interview now.

His sacking meeting (first time round) took 90 seconds.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2019 01:11

Forbury Lion Listening to the Brian McDermott interview now.

Bit disappointed with this one as there was no mention of his subsequent 6 months in charge. Still a good listen though.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Oct 2019 10:55

Sutekh
Forbury Lion Listening to the Brian McDermott interview now.

Bit disappointed with this one as there was no mention of his subsequent 6 months in charge. Still a good listen though.
+1
I tweeted Ady about that, I wondered if he had to sign an NDA with his payoff or something and was therefore prevented from talking about it.

Could do with a part 2 as I'd be interested in hearing about his career & life after his first departure from the club - that whole situation at Leeds for example.

I would welcome Brian back at the club in any capacity.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 21 Oct 2019 16:34

The Ian Branfoot interview I found disappointing, Ady Williams could have done a lot more homework, very little on the 13 wins, and key games in the run, and the Simod Cup chat was mainly around the post match meal in the Ramada Hotel after, which Williams attended as a YTS trainee.

It also came across from Williams that Branfoot was offered the manager's job as an outsider....in fact he was already at the club and first team coach when Maurice Evans was sacked.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1