Oliver Holt - a message from Joel at BBC Radio Berkshire

Fluff

by Fluff » 23 Feb 2007 00:02

what time is this on, it should make very interesting listening

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 23 Feb 2007 00:44

This feature in your program is ill advised. Have you not picked up on the groundswell of opinion that

1. Holt is a publicity seeking stirrer
2. The opinions he printed are not what he really believes - he doesn't give a 4X about Reading.
3. The People of Reading (those that actually bought the Mirror) will all be boycotting it now.
4. If you go ahead with this, Reading fans will switch off BBCRB and move to 107

Its worth remembering Joel, that without our support, you would not be covering Reading in the Premiership because (for those that don't remember) Reading initially refused BBCRB the rights to cover the games and intended awarding it exclusively to 107 but the Fans rallied and Joel and Tim got to ride another day.

What if this is your "Jade Goody" moment? What if your listeners turn against you?

Will it be Aldershot for you two next season? Maidenhead Town?

I say again, this is ill advised and listeners will switch off if you proceed with it.

Get someone in who s opinions we are actually interested in

Ollie

by Ollie » 23 Feb 2007 01:18

Binfield Royal, you may not be interested in Oliver Holt's opinion, but if you look through the couple of threads now devoted to this, you'll find that some people are. As a case in point, the post prior to yours asks what time the show is on (6pm, Friday) as it will be "interesting listening". In fact, some people appear quite unhealthily interested in Oliver Holt's opinion, to the point of promising to do quite ungodly things to him if they ever meet him.

Now, if you're not interested, you don't have to listen. But I find it unlikely that Joel will end up in Aldershot each week as a consequence. It's outside our transmission area :wink:.

(Speaking of which, we already cover Maidenhead - United, at any rate - each week. Click here for the latest interview with their boss Johnson Hippolyte.)

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 23 Feb 2007 09:15

Interview him in Paxman style and I am perfectly happy with this. Don't let him dodge questions and don't let him get one up on you. It's what he's going there to do.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 23 Feb 2007 09:59

I just hope the radio presenters give him a fair and balanced selection of questions. It would do them good to remember that it is actually only a small percentage of Reading fans that use this website so if they take most of the questions from here I don't think it would be a fair reflection of RFC supporters views.

I know quite a few Reading fans that have vastly differing views from the majority on here regarding Oliver Holt. In particular, his articles during the World cup on the England team have always been praised highly

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 23 Feb 2007 12:21

I'm hoping that BBCRB can ask decent questions that will make Mr. Holt speak kindly of Reading. We've heard enough of his tyranous comments about Hunt, Madejski etc, so after grilling him about his somewhat unfair comments, i hope that a professional and well liked station will give him the chance to leave Reading tonight holding the club in high regards.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Feb 2007 13:27

Binfield Royal This feature in your program is ill advised. Have you not picked up on the groundswell of opinion that

2. The opinions he printed are not what he really believes - he doesn't give a 4X about Reading.
3. The People of Reading (those that actually bought the Mirror) will all be boycotting it now.
4. If you go ahead with this, Reading fans will switch off BBCRB and move to 107

Its worth remembering Joel, that without our support, you would not be covering Reading in the Premiership because (for those that don't remember) Reading initially refused BBCRB the rights to cover the games and intended awarding it exclusively to 107 but the Fans rallied and Joel and Tim got to ride another day.

What if this is your "Jade Goody" moment? What if your listeners turn against you?

I say again, this is ill advised and listeners will switch off if you proceed with it.

Rarely have I read as much bollocks in one post. Who the fcuk do you think you are?

DelBoyRodders
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by DelBoyRodders » 23 Feb 2007 13:31

Joel can you please ask Oliver Holt the following question:

"Oliver, with your mother's on-screen husband dieing in such horifying circumstances 25 years ago, has it left her or yourself emotionally scarred?"
Last edited by DelBoyRodders on 23 Feb 2007 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Feb 2007 13:36

DelBoyRodders Joel can you please ask Oliver Holt the following question:

"Oliver, with your mother's on-screen husband dieing in such horifying circumstances 25 years ago, has it left her or yourself emotionally scared?"

That would explain a lot

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Feb 2007 13:37

This interview could become Tim's Richard Nixon or his EMU....

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 23 Feb 2007 14:35

Royal Rother
Binfield Royal This feature in your program is ill advised. Have you not picked up on the groundswell of opinion that

Rarely have I read as much bollocks in one post. Who the fcuk do you think you are?

A Reading fan and attendee of Reading matches of some 20 years with as much right as you or anyone else to post his thoughts on this board.

Thanks though for your constructive contribution to this debate. :roll:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Feb 2007 15:04

Royal Rother Rarely have I read as much bollocks in one post. Who the fcuk do you think you are?

I think the same thing about you.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 23 Feb 2007 15:09

Your opinion seems to be shared by about 10 other posters on this board, if thats a indication of the general population I don't think BBC berks has much to worry about.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Feb 2007 15:23

Binfield Royal
Royal Rother

A Reading fan and attendee of Reading matches of some 20 years with as much right as you or anyone else to post his thoughts on this board.

Thanks though for your constructive contribution to this debate. :roll:

I don't care how long you've been supporting Reading (less than me if you're interested) but you seem to think you are speaking for the rest of the board like some kind of appointed spokesperson. You are not.

(I see Zac has already made the point.)

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 23 Feb 2007 15:45

1. Holt is a publicity seeking stirrer Yes
2. The opinions he printed are not what he really believes - he doesn't give a 4X about Reading. Probably true
3. The People of Reading (those that actually bought the Mirror) will all be boycotting it now. Because of one 'journalist'? I doubt it.
4. If you go ahead with this, Reading fans will switch off BBCRB and move to 107 107 has a broadcast area the size of a postage stamp. It's also full of adverts. Gilkesy aside it has pretty much NOTHING going for it - so again, I doubt it.

Its worth remembering Joel, that without our support, you would not be covering Reading in the Premiership because (for those that don't remember) Reading initially refused BBCRB the rights to cover the games and intended awarding it exclusively to 107 but the Fans rallied and Joel and Tim got to ride another day. That sounds like a threat. If so, that's laughable. BBC Berks have the contract and both they and RFC know the fans views on where they want to listen to live football. They will negotiate a deal next season regardless of what the HobNob keyboard warriors say.
What if this is your "Jade Goody" moment? What if your listeners turn against you? Outside of central Reading RFC fans don't have much choice

Get someone in who s opinions we are actually interested in Tonight's phone - in will be very interesting. I bet with all the advance publicity there will rarely have been a bigger audience and Tim will be so busy fielding 'phone calls there will be hardly any time for HobNob questions. Genius on the part of whoever invited Holt in IMHO

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 23 Feb 2007 15:52

That Friday Feeling

2. The opinions he printed are not what he really believes - he doesn't give a 4X about Reading. Probably true
3. The People of Reading (those that actually bought the Mirror) will all be boycotting it now. Because of one 'journalist'? I doubt it.
4. If you go ahead with this, Reading fans will switch off BBCRB and move to 107 107 has a broadcast area the size of a postage stamp. It's also full of adverts. Gilkesy aside it has pretty much NOTHING going for it - so again, I doubt it.

Its worth remembering Joel, that without our support, you would not be covering Reading in the Premiership because (for those that don't remember) Reading initially refused BBCRB the rights to cover the games and intended awarding it exclusively to 107 but the Fans rallied and Joel and Tim got to ride another day. That sounds like a threat. If so, that's laughable. BBC Berks have the contract and both they and RFC know the fans views on where they want to listen to live football. They will negotiate a deal next season regardless of what the HobNob keyboard warriors say.
What if this is your "Jade Goody" moment? What if your listeners turn against you? Outside of central Reading RFC fans don't have much choice

Get someone in who s opinions we are actually interested in Tonight's phone - in will be very interesting. I bet with all the advance publicity there will rarely have been a bigger audience and Tim will be so busy fielding 'phone calls there will be hardly any time for HobNob questions. Genius on the part of whoever invited Holt in IMHO

I think that just about sums up what most other people on here were thinking.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 23 Feb 2007 15:59

farkin hell you people need to get a grip!

why the hell shouldn't BBCRB have him on - or should we only have people on who're 100% nice about RFC - thereby creating a ridiculous insular attitude, the likes of which sees Ricky Sbragia and Carlos Queiroz talk to the MOTD cameras?

wise up guys - I agree that he shouldn't keep on about the hunt thing but I'm not going to get bilious and choke on my own frith about a gun-slinging journalist - there's more important things to worry about

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 23 Feb 2007 16:09

Wax Jacket farkin hell you people need to get a grip!

why the hell shouldn't BBCRB have him on - or should we only have people on who're 100% nice about RFC - thereby creating a ridiculous insular attitude, the likes of which sees Ricky Sbragia and Carlos Queiroz talk to the MOTD cameras?

wise up guys - I agree that he shouldn't keep on about the hunt thing but I'm not going to get bilious and choke on my own frith about a gun-slinging journalist - there's more important things to worry about

But you forget that a large portion of HNA posters dont believe in freedom of speech, if it disagrees with there own views, or slags off their football team.

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 23 Feb 2007 16:24

That Friday Feeling

Thanks. Yours is a well thought out response and I respect your opinions and you may well be right.

I did not intend to portray myself as any sort of spokeman for Reading fans or anyone else. I composed my post primarily asking BBCRB to question themselves as to whether this was a good idea. The only point I made where I stated my opinions is where I say I think having Holt on the radio is ill concieved.

I agree there will be a lot of people calling up to get into a verbal fight with Holt but there aren't many on here or elsewhere around Reading who will agree with Holts statements in his paper. Are there any posters on here who think John Madejski or Steve Coppell are bad for Reading FC or football in general? That is the thrust of Holts last piece.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Feb 2007 16:30

No it isn't. The thrust is that he doesn't like them for some incredibly childish reasons.