Car Park Gridlock

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Car Park Gridlock

by Gunny Fishcake » 17 Dec 2006 12:32

What the bloody hell is going on with getting out of the car parks ( Red Zone ) It's a joke , one exit for a zillion cars , sort it out Reading before outbreaks of roadrage car park hell erupts !

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Dec 2006 14:50

So where have you been for the last 8 years? It has always been problematic getting out of the stadium car park - that is why most of us who need a relatively quick get away don't park there.

Oh, and why there are several threads on here advising new fans to avoid it too.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Dec 2006 14:51

I thought it wasn't too bad yesterday (red car park) - it was half empty already when I got to it 2 minutes after the final whistle.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 17 Dec 2006 16:11

Dirk Gently I thought it wasn't too bad yesterday (red car park) - it was half empty already when I got to it 2 minutes after the final whistle.

Yesterday they started the cars leaving earlier than usual, the guys marshalling the buses down Northern Way were getting annoyed and were on their walkie-talkies trying to get the cars stopped. So don't know if this is a new policy or just a mistake. It was a bit dangerous for us pedestrians IMO.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 17 Dec 2006 17:55

Must admit I got a total strop on yesterday trying to get out the B&Q exit of the car park.

Some f**king Tw*t had coned off one of the two lanes so everyone had to filter into one lane.

Took 45mins to get to the roundabout just before the bus stops and low and behold all the stewards - who are supposed to sort the cark parks out, are stood having a chat on the roundabout.

Made my feelings felt to them and got response 'well if you dont like it park somewhere else'

Usual Reading FC customer care, take your money and then treat you like shit* Thats one £95.00 they wont be getting next season

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Dec 2006 18:40

Billy The Fish
Dirk Gently I thought it wasn't too bad yesterday (red car park) - it was half empty already when I got to it 2 minutes after the final whistle.

Yesterday they started the cars leaving earlier than usual, the guys marshalling the buses down Northern Way were getting annoyed and were on their walkie-talkies trying to get the cars stopped. So don't know if this is a new policy or just a mistake. It was a bit dangerous for us pedestrians IMO.

I noticed that too - not sure how they managed to allow it to happen but someone cocked up big time. Letting cars try to drive through thousands of pedestrians is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Message is, if you don't want to wait until the pedestrians have cleared before you are allowed to drive your car out of the stadium car parks, get off your backsides, park somewhere else and walk to the stadium.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Dec 2006 18:41

People who moan about the parking clearly never go to away games. Last season it took me over an hour to get out of Southampton. Villa this season the same and I missed most of the first half. Get used to it I'm afraid it goes with being in the Premiership. Just wait till we go to Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal there is no parking at all.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Dec 2006 19:12

Jackson Corner People who moan about the parking clearly never go to away games. Last season it took me over an hour to get out of Southampton. Villa this season the same and I missed most of the first half. Get used to it I'm afraid it goes with being in the Premiership. Just wait till we go to Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal there is no parking at all.

The latter is simple. Drive to Cockfosters tube (easily accessible from M25), park there and let the train take the strain.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 17 Dec 2006 19:21

Jackson Corner People who moan about the parking clearly never go to away games. Last season it took me over an hour to get out of Southampton. Villa this season the same and I missed most of the first half. Get used to it I'm afraid it goes with being in the Premiership. Just wait till we go to Chelsea Spurs and Arsenal there is no parking at all.

Fraid your wrong there mate. And at away matches I dont pay £95.00 for a parking space tho'.

If you are happy with substandard 1960's customer service - good for you. Suppose I should have look at your user name - says it all.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 17 Dec 2006 19:49

Terranova Cranes have opened up their forecourt (just opposite the Jaguwaaar/Range Rover garage).

I believe that it is £10, but offers secure safe parking.

But why oh why, do they have their cranes and counterweight lorries returning to base at 16.45 each matchday, adding to the confusion and congestion?

Sort it out fellahs

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 17 Dec 2006 19:58

Northern Git

Fraid your wrong there mate. And at away matches I dont pay £95.00 for a parking space tho'.

If you are happy with substandard 1960's customer service - good for you. Suppose I should have look at your user name - says it all.

£95 quid guarantees you the parking spot not a quick getaway.

Inverted snobbery rules, OK!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Dec 2006 22:05

Billy The Fish Yesterday they started the cars leaving earlier than usual, the guys marshalling the buses down Northern Way were getting annoyed and were on their walkie-talkies trying to get the cars stopped. So don't know if this is a new policy or just a mistake. It was a bit dangerous for us pedestrians IMO.

But woe-betide anyone who stands up for a nano-second in the ground.

As usual RFC have their safety priorities totally the wrong way round. After every game there is some twat on a megaphone down the B&Q slope telling 20,000 people to "keep on the path, there are buses coming through". No you fool, make the buses wait 5 mins until the pedestrians clear.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 18 Dec 2006 05:18

Northern Git

Substanderd customer service what's that got to do with parking?

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 18 Dec 2006 08:34

Jerry St Clair
Billy The Fish Yesterday they started the cars leaving earlier than usual, the guys marshalling the buses down Northern Way were getting annoyed and were on their walkie-talkies trying to get the cars stopped. So don't know if this is a new policy or just a mistake. It was a bit dangerous for us pedestrians IMO.

As usual RFC have their safety priorities totally the wrong way round. After every game there is some twat on a megaphone down the B&Q slope telling 20,000 people to "keep on the path, there are buses coming through". No you fool, make the buses wait 5 mins until the pedestrians clear.

Spot on - I don't see why they let the buses go when the road is full of pedestrians. I guess it'll take someone getting mowed down by a bus before it gets looked into. :roll:

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 18 Dec 2006 09:48

T.R.O.L.I.
Jerry St Clair

Spot on - I don't see why they let the buses go when the road is full of pedestrians. I guess it'll take someone getting mowed down by a bus before it gets looked into. :roll:

The buses wait 15 minutes before they go already. That's plenty of time to get the rush of supporters down the hill. I'm at the back of Y24, the last area of the ground to clear and can be down the hill easily 15 mins after the end of the game. I doubt RFC should take action because its supporters are stupid enough to walk in the middle of the road. Besides, the whole idea is to make the buses a more attractive option than driving - if you let everyone get back to their cars before the buses go, what's the point of the buses?

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 18 Dec 2006 10:18

Agreed - public transport is the way forward 8)

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 18 Dec 2006 11:25

Jackson Corner
Northern Git

So you think that taking £95.00 of someone for parking then completely f**king it up has nothing to do with customer service?

And no I don't expect to leave immediately after the game, the holding back of cars to allow the pedestrians to clear is, given the way the exits from the ground have been constructed, a very sound way of operating.

What I do object to is, after going into the Jazz Cafe to watch the results then walking back to the car, being stuck in gridlock at the bottom of the car park for 40 mins.

This had nothing to do with the A33 traffic - it was clear, It had nothing to do with pedestrians - they had long gone, it had nothing to do with the buses they were also long gone.

It had everything to do with Reading FC and their inept stewards coning off half an already congested exit.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Dec 2006 11:52

Northern Git
Jackson Corner
Northern Git

So you think that taking £95.00 of someone for parking then completely f**king it up has nothing to do with customer service?

And no I don't expect to leave immediately after the game, the holding back of cars to allow the pedestrians to clear is, given the way the exits from the ground have been constructed, a very sound way of operating.

What I do object to is, after going into the Jazz Cafe to watch the results then walking back to the car, being stuck in gridlock at the bottom of the car park for 40 mins.

This had nothing to do with the A33 traffic - it was clear, It had nothing to do with pedestrians - they had long gone, it had nothing to do with the buses they were also long gone.

It had everything to do with Reading FC and their inept stewards coning off half an already congested exit.

So you are saying they were coning off 1 or 2 of the lanes at the roundabout itself by the traffic lights?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 18 Dec 2006 12:08

Tutti Frutti The buses wait 15 minutes before they go already. That's plenty of time to get the rush of supporters down the hill. I'm at the back of Y24, the last area of the ground to clear and can be down the hill easily 15 mins after the end of the game. I doubt RFC should take action because its supporters are stupid enough to walk in the middle of the road. Besides, the whole idea is to make the buses a more attractive option than driving - if you let everyone get back to their cars before the buses go, what's the point of the buses?

I think we're at crossed purposes.

The station shuttle buses that line up down the B&Q slope were leaving on Saturday 5-10 mins after the game with the road still a sea of people. There was absolutely no way everyone could use the pavement.

It was just sheer idiocy on the part of the stewards.

Symposium

by Symposium » 18 Dec 2006 12:18

Tutti Frutti
T.R.O.L.I.
Jerry St Clair As usual RFC have their safety priorities totally the wrong way round. After every game there is some twat on a megaphone down the B&Q slope telling 20,000 people to "keep on the path, there are buses coming through". No you fool, make the buses wait 5 mins until the pedestrians clear.

The buses wait 15 minutes before they go already. That's plenty of time to get the rush of supporters down the hill. I'm at the back of Y24, the last area of the ground to clear and can be down the hill easily 15 mins after the end of the game. I doubt RFC should take action because its supporters are stupid enough to walk in the middle of the road. Besides, the whole idea is to make the buses a more attractive option than driving - if you let everyone get back to their cars before the buses go, what's the point of the buses?

Nope, I'm half way up Y23, and I leave as soon as the final whistle goes. I then stand on the stairs for 5mins while people clap and look at the scoreboard (if you want to do that, why not stay in your seat and let others get out?). I then peg it out of the ground by the exit next to the Greyhound track, by which time there's the man with the megaphone bellowing at me.

I'm a very quick walker - I don't see how anyone could get there any quicker.

I agree, buses should have priority over cars. But surely pedestrians should have priority over buses? I walk back to town - only takes about 25mins at the most... that's much more "green" than taking the bus.