Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 31 Jan 2007 18:00

Tony Le Mesmer
Coppelled Streets
royalsteve
BenReadingFC I have been told that during the expansion the Jazz club will be closed for 6 months + . It will also be doubled in size during this period.
My girlfriend is related to the owner who told this to me yesterday.

it will still be s***e...no supporter / club feel to it....soleless dump

Er, why?

I think what he means is that it doesn't have a 'social club' feel to it.

He's got a point. you have to ask WTF Jazz Music has to do with RFC.

Why don't they have pictures of club heroes & great moments for the club rather than a picture of some twat playing a trumpet?

This should also be the case in the concourses around the ground. The cost could'nt be that much and it would instill fans with a bit more pride and passion before games. It would also give new fans a sense of history and make them feel more of a buzz than in the current souless concrete tunnels.

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AJ~ » 31 Jan 2007 18:27

ScottishRoyal
Tony Le Mesmer
Coppelled Streets
royalsteve
BenReadingFC I have been told that during the expansion the Jazz club will be closed for 6 months + . It will also be doubled in size during this period.

Er, why?

Why don't they have pictures of club heroes & great moments for the club rather than a picture of some twat playing a trumpet?

This should also be the case in the concourses around the ground. The cost could'nt be that much and it would instill fans with a bit more pride and passion before games. It would also give new fans a sense of history and make them feel more of a buzz than in the current souless concrete tunnels.

They have these (club heroes/legends) in the Lower West.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 31 Jan 2007 18:46

Tony Le Mesmer
Coppelled Streets
royalsteve

Er, why?

Good call, and rename the bar something like Friday's? 8)

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Feb 2007 21:20

Tony Le Mesmer
Coppelled Streets
royalsteve

Er, why?

...err, because it's a bar and not a supporters' club, and therefore has to try an earn a living on the 340 days or so a year when Reading don't have a home game.

It's pity they can't do more to the concourses to make them somewhat more welcoming places to spend a bit of time before the match. What with being so crowded as well, they are about as pleasant as having a drink in a dingy bus station in the rush hour. For some reason stadium designers here belive football fans are morlocks who abhor natural light, and find joyful aesthetic value in bare breeze-blocks and concrete.

Maybe one the east stand is extended, the whole concourse will be much bigger.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 04 Feb 2007 15:29

I know the east stand is supposed to be built on so it's all one tier, but looking at COMS stands yesterday just brought it home to me how impressive the east stand will look.

We were trying to gage if the east stand was taller than the two tiers City have (minus the top tier), and we came to the conclusion that ours is taller. Then look at that picture and imagine our east stand with the top tier built on and that will be one almighty stand. 8)

*Picture taken from BB0118's website*

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 05 Feb 2007 16:11

Coppelled Streets *Picture taken from BB0118's website*

Ta for the plug!! Your matching bathtub is on its way to you!

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 05 Feb 2007 16:12

bb0118
Coppelled Streets *Picture taken from BB0118's website*

Ta for the plug!! Your matching bathtub is on its way to you!

I'll need that plug back then. :wink:

G'La

by G'La » 08 Feb 2007 14:51

Does anyone, perhaps with contacts at the club or RBC, know exactly when the final stadium plans are to be released to the public?

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 09 Feb 2007 11:43

G'La Does anyone, perhaps with contacts at the club or RBC, know exactly when the final stadium plans are to be released to the public?

Surely not until planning permission is granted as they may change again.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Feb 2007 13:50

It's pity they can't do more to the concourses to make them somewhat more welcoming places to spend a bit of time before the match. What with being so crowded as well, they are about as pleasant as having a drink in a dingy bus station in the rush hour. For some reason stadium designers here belive football fans are morlocks who abhor natural light, and find joyful aesthetic value in bare breeze-blocks and concrete.

I couldn't agree more, if the concourse resembled more of a sports bar rather than a breeze block prison, I'm sure more of us would spend money there before and after the game.

Also whoever designed the stadium, made the east stand concorse far to narrow.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 09 Feb 2007 15:04

ScottishRoyal
STAR Campaigns From what I understand, they'll build out behind the East stand first - so there will probably be access issues during this time which will cause complications for all - I think patience getting in and out will be required - even more than now!

But my assumption is that the current roof will be taken off and the new one put on during the close season - however, that's purely an assumption but as a PM that's the only way I can think of to do it.

Has the schedule for the building work effectively been put back then?

I seem to remember the online brochure which outlined the plans and scheduling said that building works would commense once this season finished, so that the structure of the stand was in place by August. The finishing touches of adding seats and doing the concourse would then be done between August and Christmas so as not to be disruptive to fans. And the whole stand was then to be opened in January, with the same timescale for the two ends the following summer/autumn?

Can someone answer this please? Thanks.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Feb 2007 15:32

ScottishRoyal

I seriously doubt it. We aren't using Multiplex to do the building work are we ?

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 09 Feb 2007 16:16

As far as I remember the latest timescale is to start ground work in May, building in August with completion of the East Stand ready for season 2008/09. Then the same timescales albeit a year later for the north and south ready for 2009/10.

G'La

by G'La » 09 Feb 2007 16:41

Scarface
ScottishRoyal

I seriously doubt it. We aren't using Multiplex to do the building work are we ?

Wasnt it Brise who constructed the stadium? I do hope its not Multiplex who do the stadium extension. They've got a rep on par with builders with an 07 number with un-distinguishable regional accents who always seem to have tarmac left-over from a previous job to do your lawn.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 09 Feb 2007 16:51

Scarface
It's pity they can't do more to the concourses to make them somewhat more welcoming places to spend a bit of time before the match.

I couldn't agree more, if the concourse resembled more of a sports bar rather than a breeze block prison

Complete with bog roll :shock:

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 09 Feb 2007 18:17

ScottishRoyal
ScottishRoyal
STAR Campaigns From what I understand, they'll build out behind the East stand first - so there will probably be access issues during this time which will cause complications for all - I think patience getting in and out will be required - even more than now!

But my assumption is that the current roof will be taken off and the new one put on during the close season - however, that's purely an assumption but as a PM that's the only way I can think of to do it.

Has the schedule for the building work effectively been put back then?

I seem to remember the online brochure which outlined the plans and scheduling said that building works would commense once this season finished, so that the structure of the stand was in place by August. The finishing touches of adding seats and doing the concourse would then be done between August and Christmas so as not to be disruptive to fans. And the whole stand was then to be opened in January, with the same timescale for the two ends the following summer/autumn?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 09 Feb 2007 20:09

premiership_bound As far as I remember the latest timescale is to start ground work in May, building in August with completion of the East Stand ready for season 2008/09. Then the same timescales albeit a year later for the north and south ready for 2009/10.

That's certainly what the club statements say now but the initial press releases (see above - thanks for that!) said the stand would be ready be the beginning of 2008!?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 12 Feb 2007 14:15

M4 Junction 11 If you search Shooters Way on the Reading Borough Council PublicAccess website you'll find 12 entries and so far only the Scoping Study for the expansion has been published.

It looks like they're starting to upload all the planning documents ... though still getting 'Sorry, an unexpected error has occurred' :?

G'La

by G'La » 12 Feb 2007 15:12

I guess we'll here something official by the end of the week then 8)

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Feb 2007 15:20

G'La I guess we'll here something official by the end of the week then 8)

I'm sorry, we'll where?

1747 posts