Bus Services to Mad Stad Axed-Reinstated 1st 2 games see p8

177 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bus Services to Mad Stad Axed

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jul 2010 09:13

Silver Fox I'm a bit confused, there's a pretty regular bus service between Brackers and Reading isn't there?

Half hourly trains too...

While possibly a little less convenient anyone wanting to come to games from Bracknell is hardly being cut off with no options.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 22 Jul 2010 10:38

Those of you that never used the bus really cannot comment on the convenience or inconvenience of the removal of this service and the alternative transport options on offer.

I have had a post now for around 24 hours if people that used the Bracknell service and would be interested in some sort of replacement.

So far, depsite 1 full page of comments on this thread, I have not had 1 person contact me with a view to running something.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 22 Jul 2010 11:15

weybridgewanderer I have had a post now for around 24 hours if people that used the Bracknell service and would be interested in some sort of replacement.

So far, depsite 1 full page of comments on this thread, I have not had 1 person contact me with a view to running something.

Not sure there's a high number of Bracknell based bus users on HNA? - maybe the local press would be a better place to make your offer.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Jul 2010 11:17

weybridgewanderer Those of you that never used the bus really cannot comment on the convenience or inconvenience of the removal of this service and the alternative transport options on offer.

I have had a post now for around 24 hours if people that used the Bracknell service and would be interested in some sort of replacement.

HNA in not really that representative of the fans shocker !!

Not sure why only the handful of people who used that bus are allowed to comment, most of us have used various forms of transport in our lives and can appreciate the issues arising. we all also have to work out how we travel to and from games...

Presumably only those with experience of managing teams in the Championship are allowed to comment on team selection, and accountants are the sole contributors to club fiance discussions from now on ?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jul 2010 11:51

The club knows where the supporters live. They should have made the effort to contact these people BEFORE withdrawing the bus services.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Jul 2010 15:52

Sun Tzu
Silver Fox I'm a bit confused, there's a pretty regular bus service between Brackers and Reading isn't there?

Half hourly trains too...

While possibly a little less convenient anyone wanting to come to games from Bracknell is hardly being cut off with no options.

bah! and what about crowthorne/sandhurst
its a long walk to the train station and takes an hour longer to get to the ground, with a whole extra change in the middle

BOOOOOOOO

havoc

by havoc » 22 Jul 2010 16:00

....and still no word from STAR

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jul 2010 16:15

Terminal Boardom The club knows where the supporters live. They should have made the effort to contact these people BEFORE withdrawing the bus services.

The problem there is when they found out about the increased costs of the service and how long it would give them to contact those in an area who MAY use the bus before the season starts and give them time to reply, IF they can be bothered.

If there is an outcry at the moment imagine what would have happened if they pulled the service in September due to a lack of response and no increase or even a decrease in users for the opening home games.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Jul 2010 17:03

tbf - all they should have done was keep upping the car park costs, keep the busses competetive, and tell people about them, cos i had no idea they even existed until i followed one to the ground once
then hardly anyone would have driven in

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Jul 2010 19:04

Stranded
Terminal Boardom The club knows where the supporters live. They should have made the effort to contact these people BEFORE withdrawing the bus services.

The problem there is when they found out about the increased costs of the service and how long it would give them to contact those in an area who MAY use the bus before the season starts and give them time to reply, IF they can be bothered.

If there is an outcry at the moment imagine what would have happened if they pulled the service in September due to a lack of response and no increase or even a decrease in users for the opening home games.

If people can not be arsed to respond then that is their affair and their problem. I would have said that a large majority of membership card holders who would fall into the category have e-mail accounts. Or if there are families, at least one member of the family will have access to e-mail. So the club could have sent an e-mail out.

To put it quite frankly, the club have cocked up again.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Jul 2010 14:22

Typically short-sighted approach from the club, if it doesn't make money there isn't any point to it. I'd wager this might put off some of the more casual fans from the outlying areas, remember you aren't just losing their ticket money, you are losing the money they pay for the rankerous refreshments on offer, the cash they spaff on a brand new hideous-looking replica shirt every year etc. Those of you who typically repeat the club line of 'there are trains and buses available' neglect to mention the obvious cost implication during these financially sensitive times of paying for a train and then a bus. To be honest, if gates continue to dip then the club will thoroughly deserve to lose out on support given their financially-driven short-term thinking.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 23 Jul 2010 14:38

FS 4 PM

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 14:39

floyd__streete Typically short-sighted approach from the club, if it doesn't make money there isn't any point to it. I'd wager this might put off some of the more casual fans from the outlying areas, remember you aren't just losing their ticket money, you are losing the money they pay for the rankerous refreshments on offer, the cash they spaff on a brand new hideous-looking replica shirt every year etc. Those of you who typically repeat the club line of 'there are trains and buses available' neglect to mention the obvious cost implication during these financially sensitive times of paying for a train and then a bus. To be honest, if gates continue to dip then the club will thoroughly deserve to lose out on support given their financially-driven short-term thinking.

What's the logic in a tiny number of people getting a subsidy from the club ?

Can I ask for some cash towards my petrol as if I had to take a bus into town and then another one out it would cost me more...

It would be great if the club could subsidise transport for everyone, but what is it about the small numbers using certain bus routes that make them more deserving of subsidy than anyone else ?

Do the people who travel every week from far flung parts of the country deserve a subsidy too ? What about the fans who fly in for games from the US, Australia and Europe ?

It's a tough call really, obviously anyone who has enjoyed the buses and found them convenient will feel that by not running them they are missing out - but what should the priority be if money is tight ? I'd agree by the way, that a huge part of the problem is the continuing stupid level of wages. But that's not a problem we're going to solve unilaterally....

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Jul 2010 14:59

Sun Tzu
floyd__streete Typically short-sighted approach from the club, if it doesn't make money there isn't any point to it. I'd wager this might put off some of the more casual fans from the outlying areas, remember you aren't just losing their ticket money, you are losing the money they pay for the rankerous refreshments on offer, the cash they spaff on a brand new hideous-looking replica shirt every year etc. Those of you who typically repeat the club line of 'there are trains and buses available' neglect to mention the obvious cost implication during these financially sensitive times of paying for a train and then a bus. To be honest, if gates continue to dip then the club will thoroughly deserve to lose out on support given their financially-driven short-term thinking.

Can I ask for some cash towards my petrol as if I had to take a bus into town and then another one out it would cost me more...

So scrap all the buses then, not just the Stagecoach buses

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 15:19

weybridgewanderer
Sun Tzu

So scrap all the buses then, not just the Stagecoach buses

Would that make things better in any way ?

If by scrapping the very least used services they can keep the more used services isn't that sensible ?

Although you may be correct in purely moral terms that the club simply should not get into the transport business !!

Would we accept (say) a £1 levy on all ticket prices to be used to provide subsidised transport irrespective of usage ?

And if (say) 4 people from Frinton-on-Sea wish to come to games would it be logical for the club to lay on a cheap taxi for them ?

Where is the right place for the line to be drawn ?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Jul 2010 15:29

Sun Tzu

:roll:

What's the logic of running any form of promotion/incentive?!

The club bus service was of no use to us where we live, we pick up our own full costs of getting to the game, but we still think continuing the services at a subsidy is a good thing if it encourages people to attend games who wouldn't otherwise. A few quid subsidy in return for another match ticket and other add ons sold seems a pretty good investment to me!

As for effing Frinton on Sea, that's an incredibly obtuse argument even for ST!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 23 Jul 2010 15:35

Sun Tzu Would that make things better in any way ?

You are the one that asked what the logic was in a tiny number of people getting a subsidy from the club. Do any of the buses run at a profit? Or does the club subsidise all the services? Each bus has about 70 people out of a crowd of 20000, so is a tiny number each, presumably, being subsidised.

So scrap all the buses.

Or is this about levels of subsidy, in that case the Bracknell bus was just us much subsidesed as the other buses in reading as it was, even according to the club, one of the 2 well used services out the 4 they scrapped, it possibly even made money.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 15:46

RoyalBlue
Sun Tzu

:roll:

What's the logic of running any form of promotion/incentive?!

Promotions / incentives are usually time limited. Once you've got people's interest you stop them and expect they will carry on using your product anyway. If you are suggesting that the club should run a promotion indefinitely I'm not sure that makes much sense. You could argue they should carry on running the buses but fares should be market rate. Which raises a different outcry I suspect !

RoyalBlue As for effing Frinton on Sea, that's an incredibly obtuse argument even for ST!

It's not in the slightest obtuse. Although no surprise you struggle to understand it !!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jul 2010 15:50

weybridgewanderer
Sun Tzu Would that make things better in any way ?

You are the one that asked what the logic was in a tiny number of people getting a subsidy from the club. Do any of the buses run at a profit? Or does the club subsidise all the services? Each bus has about 70 people out of a crowd of 20000, so is a tiny number each, presumably, being subsidised.

So scrap all the buses.

Or is this about levels of subsidy, in that case the Bracknell bus was just us much subsidesed as the other buses in reading as it was, even according to the club, one of the 2 well used services out the 4 they scrapped, it possibly even made money.

Your thought that everyone should suffer rather than a few is admirable !!

I think the services are all subsidised, and yes, you could argue that the club just shouldn;t do it for anyone. the local buses serve more people though (at least potentially) and if there is a limited budget for buses is it not better to still run some than none ?

I don;t know whether the subsidies were the same. They are on different contracts so the deals may be totally different, perhaps the Bracknell bus was more expensive to hire ? We have the usual problem that none of us know the facts which makes drawing any sensible conclusions difficult.

But as mentioned a long time back, if there is a demand for a bus service from Bracknell and it can be provided at a sensible price I'm sure some willing entrepeneur will step in. It happens from other destinations so why not Bracknell ? Would the model of a local pub sponsoring the service and acting as a central pick up point be worth exploring ?

havoc

by havoc » 23 Jul 2010 16:16

completely 'gree floyd

I love how they reckon 'the club are subsidising' these buses

whos fecking subsidising the club you mongs :?: :x

standard lol @ STAR in todays EP as some other numpty was trotted out chatting the party line

177 posts