We are much worse than we realised

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Forest Gump

We are much worse than we realised

by Forest Gump » 25 Aug 2013 23:36

Seeing how this years newcomers to the PL makes me realise just how bad the squad was last year. Cardiff and Hull are showing us what it takes to put a proper effort into staying up.
Further and worryingly the team that played Reading off the park at home in pre season - Swansea - are struggling. If this is any kind of benchmark it proves how poor our sauad is.
I'm sure Adkins is a very good manager but he has an almost impossible job if trying to get this lot playing attractive football and some kind of chance of maki g the playoffs as Rodger found. He is going to need full backing from the board and I do not think he will get it. The DoF is there to control the spend and Anton does not have the resources. Agents, players and other clubs know it so unlesss the manager can work miracles its going to be another season of disappointment all round.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

Re: We are much worse than we realised

by Royal91 » 26 Aug 2013 09:44

Forest Gump Seeing how this years newcomers to the PL makes me realise just how bad the squad was last year. Cardiff and Hull are showing us what it takes to put a proper effort into staying up.
Further and worryingly the team that played Reading off the park at home in pre season - Swansea - are struggling. If this is any kind of benchmark it proves how poor our sauad is.
I'm sure Adkins is a very good manager but he has an almost impossible job if trying to get this lot playing attractive football and some kind of chance of maki g the playoffs as Rodger found. He is going to need full backing from the board and I do not think he will get it. The DoF is there to control the spend and Anton does not have the resources. Agents, players and other clubs know it so unlesss the manager can work miracles its going to be another season of disappointment all round.

You do realise Swansea have played Man utd and Spurs are their two opening fixtures. One good result for Cardiff against an inconsistent City and you've make an assumption Adkins can't make Reading play attractive and effective football.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 26 Aug 2013 11:06

Royal91
Forest Gump Seeing how this years newcomers to the PL makes me realise just how bad the squad was last year. Cardiff and Hull are showing us what it takes to put a proper effort into staying up.

You do realise Swansea have played Man utd and Spurs are their two opening fixtures. One good result for Cardiff against an inconsistent City and you've make an assumption Adkins can't make Reading play attractive and effective football.

And not forgetting the fact that Reading at the very start of the season weren't actually that terrible either.

Could have earned all three points against Stoke were it not for a Federici howler and ditto a Feds howler and dodgy offside goal cost us a win or at least a draw against Chelsea. Add in Ba's handball at Newcastle and chucking away a 2-0 lead at Swansea and the start of last season could have been very much different.

Not suggesting we got anything less than we deserved in the end but to laud the efforts of this year's promoted crop so soon is silly in my opinion.

We played brilliant passing football in the first half against Watford and put in a good shift in the second half at Bolton as well. We've got the talent it's just getting consistency and learning some hard lessons.

Also dunno why this is in policies....

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Aug 2013 11:07

Sorry, but those comments are a stupid as your namesake.

We've not played 6 games yet.

Too early to make any judgments.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 26 Aug 2013 13:08

Wimb
Royal91

And not forgetting the fact that Reading at the very start of the season weren't actually that terrible either.

Could have earned all three points against Stoke were it not for a Federici howler and ditto a Feds howler and dodgy offside goal cost us a win or at least a draw against Chelsea. Add in Ba's handball at Newcastle and chucking away a 2-0 lead at Swansea and the start of last season could have been very much different.

Not suggesting we got anything less than we deserved in the end but to laud the efforts of this year's promoted crop so soon is silly in my opinion.

We played brilliant passing football in the first half against Watford and put in a good shift in the second half at Bolton as well. We've got the talent it's just getting consistency and learning some hard lessons.

Also dunno why this is in policies....

What wimb said it's all about getting that consistency. From what I've seen so far Reading have looked in patches the best team in this league. Should of beaten Bolton and Watford. Can't judge the Blackpool match as I didn't go. We should be sat on 9 points maybe 10. We have a massive squad, the best set of wingers in the league and the best goal keeper. Add that to our defensive and CM options, we are literally one striker away from being the complete package.

Wimb are you the tilehurst end guy??

Here's a question for your podcast. I don't rate Karacan at all, he's weak, average at best at passing and runs around like a headless chicken. Yet because he's runs around a lot, has come through the academy and scored a brace he seems untouchable and fans think he's awesome. Yes he can launch into a tackle and the passion is great, he gets skinned a lot around the edge of the box when he jumps in as opposed to jockying. I would have williams in for the pace, strength, the ability to drive from midfield and his passing ability. I'd rather have L,wood in over Karacan.

Who would you have starting Willilams/Karacan/Akpan/L,wood and why is adkins so reluctant to get Williams in the game sooner??

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 26 Aug 2013 13:47

:oops:

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 26 Aug 2013 14:30

FFS :roll:

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 26 Aug 2013 16:01

We're developing anew style of play from the one that we've been playing for years.

We're also changing personnel to get the mix of players we need.

Does any rational person really think this'll all come right on Day One?

It's a journey - and it'll be an interesting one to be on.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 26 Aug 2013 16:59

Royal91
What wimb said it's all about getting that consistency. From what I've seen so far Reading have looked in patches the best team in this league. Should of beaten Bolton and Watford. Can't judge the Blackpool match as I didn't go. We should be sat on 9 points maybe 10. We have a massive squad, the best set of wingers in the league and the best goal keeper. Add that to our defensive and CM options, we are literally one striker away from being the complete package.

Wimb are you the tilehurst end guy??

Here's a question for your podcast. I don't rate Karacan at all, he's weak, average at best at passing and runs around like a headless chicken. Yet because he's runs around a lot, has come through the academy and scored a brace he seems untouchable and fans think he's awesome. Yes he can launch into a tackle and the passion is great, he gets skinned a lot around the edge of the box when he jumps in as opposed to jockying. I would have williams in for the pace, strength, the ability to drive from midfield and his passing ability. I'd rather have L,wood in over Karacan.

Who would you have starting Willilams/Karacan/Akpan/L,wood and why is adkins so reluctant to get Williams in the game sooner??

I am indeed, I'll add it to the list of questions for this week.

Personally I've thought Karacan has looked good this season and has grown beyond the headless chicken he looked most of the time under Brian. He's still not the complete article but he's coming on a lot and I hope that continues.

I've been impressed though by Williams and he's got to feel himself unlucky to be out of the side as well. Will save the rest for discussion on Wednesday night!

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 26 Aug 2013 19:26

I really do believe we need one player to get us off and running-Carlton Cole would do -so long as he gets his head right.

Royals1871J

by Royals1871J » 28 Aug 2013 14:15

Forest Gump Further and worryingly the team that played Reading off the park at home in pre season - Swansea - are struggling.

Welllllllll no. They have played Man U and Spurs

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1