Yeovil Away

279 posts
Green
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Yeovil Away

by Green » 28 Aug 2013 12:51

Seems a shame to go all that way and just pitch up in the wetherspoons.

I've not researched it but surely Yeovil has something else to offer?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Aug 2013 13:05

Green Seems a shame to go all that way and just pitch up in the wetherspoons.

Located in Cider Country, you'd think we would have a number of appealing options to choose from. We don't. Barely anything nearby.

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 28 Aug 2013 13:15

Weatherspoons.... :roll:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Aug 2013 13:28

26-10-06 Weatherspoons.... :roll:

£2 a pint for decent well kept ale, what's the problem with that?

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 28 Aug 2013 13:31

LoyalRoyalFan

Located in Cider Country, you'd think we would have a number of appealing options to choose from. We don't. Barely anything nearby.

If you're driving, come off the A303 towards Tintinhull onto Head Street/Yeovil Road/Tintinhull Road. In Tintinhill itself, follow the National Trust signs for Tintinhill Gardens, and you will find the Crown & Victoria. Tintinhull is the right side of Yeovil for the ground which is about 15 minutes drive away. BA22 8PZ - http://www.thecrownandvictoria.co.uk

Just further along the main road from the A303, in Chilthorne Domer, is the Carpenters Arms. This is about 10 minutes from the ground (by car) and you can almost see the floodlights across a couple of fields. BA21 3PX - http://carpenters-chilthorne.co.uk/home.html

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 28 Aug 2013 13:40

M Brook
LoyalRoyalFan

If you're driving, come off the A303 towards Tintinhull onto Head Street/Yeovil Road/Tintinhull Road. In Tintinhill itself, follow the National Trust signs for Tintinhill Gardens, and you will find the Crown & Victoria. Tintinhull is the right side of Yeovil for the ground which is about 15 minutes drive away. BA22 8PZ - http://www.thecrownandvictoria.co.uk

Just further along the main road from the A303, in Chilthorne Domer, is the Carpenters Arms. This is about 10 minutes from the ground (by car) and you can almost see the floodlights across a couple of fields. BA21 3PX - http://carpenters-chilthorne.co.uk/home.html

Thanks for the tip.

I am actually driving down but I'm trying to avoid going down the A303, finding a different route is troublesome.

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 28 Aug 2013 13:40

Cureton's Volley

No early kick off too watch as they haven't Sky for a start, very standard. Just nice to try some different pubs around the country during away games

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 28 Aug 2013 14:04

My plan soon will be Weatherspoons nearest the station, few pints and brunch, before onto a proper pub. Cheap food and some decent beer, sorted!

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Aug 2013 14:21

Cureton's Volley

FTR I quite like Wetherspoons but if I'm in a town I don't often drink in I like to seek out pubs that have a bit more character.

Although TBF some wetherspoons have this, the converted banks/theatres whatever, but this is the Yeovil one :|

If it were me (and it isn't, I'm otherwise engaged this weekend), I'd be keen to sample the Quicksilver Mail, the Beehive Inn and/or the Butchers.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 28 Aug 2013 16:27

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 28 Aug 2013 16:30

Loving the £15 Summer Fever deal for a return on http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/

10:07 train from Basingstoke to Yeovil Junction
68 bus to Yeovil Bus Station
30s walk to Wetherspoons for breakfast & pint
5 min walk to Butchers Arms for further drinks
2 min walk to catch the number 1 bus (Towards 'The Borough & Westminster') from near Lloyds TSB on the high street to the ground

Even the weather looks good according to the BBC..... What could go wrong?? :wink:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Aug 2013 16:33

What you doing in Basingstoke, CV :?:

LJ

by LJ » 28 Aug 2013 17:39

One8Seven1 Yeovil now aware we're buying in the home ends. They said "wheels are in motion", whatever that means. They'll either let us in, move us, or refuse us entry. Might be better to call before you set off.

Where did you hear this? I'm kind of in limbo, I bought two tickets and put in my RG billing address, but emailed asking for delivery to my uni address in Bristol. Haven't heard back, so don't know if these tickets are secured or not!

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 28 Aug 2013 18:04

LJ
One8Seven1 Yeovil now aware we're buying in the home ends. They said "wheels are in motion", whatever that means. They'll either let us in, move us, or refuse us entry. Might be better to call before you set off.

Where did you hear this? I'm kind of in limbo, I bought two tickets and put in my RG billing address, but emailed asking for delivery to my uni address in Bristol. Haven't heard back, so don't know if these tickets are secured or not!

They will not refuse you entry. do not worry.

one, the stewards will have no idea were the ticket was bought/sent to and two, you could be a Yeovil fan living in Reading for all they know.

Just don't lead them to believe you support Reading then you will have no problem

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 28 Aug 2013 18:07

Unbelievable Jeff
LJ

They will not refuse you entry. do not worry.

one, the stewards will have no idea were the ticket was bought/sent to and two, you could be a Yeovil fan living in Reading for all they know.

Just don't lead them to believe you support Reading then you will have no problem

How can you be so sure? No-one has any legal right of entry, ticket or not.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 28 Aug 2013 18:15

Why would they let 5000 people in and 2 people not, if they are mixing with the crowd?

LJ

by LJ » 28 Aug 2013 18:16

I'm not worried about getting in, I'm actually going with a neutral anyway, so that won't be a problem. But I need to get my tickets first, and I'm concerned I overdid it on the "We're Yeovil fans living in Bristol" email, and they've put me in the suspicion pile, totally ticketless.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 28 Aug 2013 18:30

Unbelievable Jeff Why would they let 5000 people in and 2 people not, if they are mixing with the crowd?

If they could identify a hundred or so "suspect" tickets, and for whatever reason they deemed them to be a public order risk, they could quite easily and legally refuse admission.

Just like Reading did in 2003 did when Wolves fans bragged on open internet that they were buying play-off semi-final tickets in the home side of the North Stand at the Madejski.

Sitting in home areas is perfectly reasonable and acceptable as long as you're sensible and don't draw attention to yourselves ( I did it at St Mary's when we beat the down there!) - but the more people who know about it, and the greater the numbers seen doing it , the more likely becomes that some local safety officer or police numpty who holds the opinion that as soon as supporters from different teams meet and mix they're ten seconds away from a riot will over-react and take drastic action.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Aug 2013 18:32

Some useful facts found here including drinking suggestions...

http://footballgroundguide.com/yeovil_town/#Whats-Huish-Park-Yeovil-Like

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 28 Aug 2013 18:46

The weather forecast in Yeovil is pretty hot for Saturday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633373

On a packed terrace with no roof this could get pretty sticky. In Germany a lot of grounds have open terraces and with the earlier season start and continental heat waves, it's common for fire hoses to be used to cool down the crowd.

I've experienced this a lot with St Pauli, and seeing a load of penned in gasping leftists* being hosed down in the heat is vaguely reminiscent of the film Schindler's List.

Will the Yeovil fire brigade follow suit?

http://usp.stpaulifans.de/copper/displa ... fullsize=1

*probably the first wash they've had in years etc etc.

279 posts