When was the last Football Special?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

When was the last Football Special?

by STAR Liaison » 19 Nov 2014 09:35

Definition: A Football Special is a train service solely for the use of away supporters of one club that runs to and from the game without stopping at other stations and at a reduced fare.

There was a time when our predecessor, the supporters club, could commandeer a British Rail train, fill it with fans and run it to the other end of the country and beyond (o happy day) - with BR's permission, of course. Some still recall “The Longest Journey” when we travelled to Blyth (or more precisely nearby Cramlington) for a 3rd FA Cup tie in January 1972. For younger nobbers Blyth is a mining village on the dark side of the moon.

So, we were wondering when was the last Football Special run for Reading fans? Anything more recent than Hereford on 19th August 1972?

This, believe it or not, was for a Fourth Division game immediately after our worst ever league season (16th in Div Four)! I suppose the bonus attraction was Hereford’s first home game in the league ever. We were gubbed on and off the pitch.

Did any Football Specials survive into the 1980s?

Dulwich Royal

Re: When was the last Football Special?

by Dulwich Royal » 19 Nov 2014 10:20

I went on specials to Shrewsbury (F A Cup) and Halifax (League) but I think they were both before Hereford.

There may have been one to Bridgwater as well in the Cup ?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Nov 2014 11:13

Dulwich Royal I went on specials to Shrewsbury (F A Cup) and Halifax (League) but I think they were both before Hereford.

There may have been one to Bridgwater as well in the Cup ?

They were.

There was.

All within a two year period.

under the tin

by under the tin » 19 Nov 2014 12:53

The last one I went on was November 1978.
League Cup 4th round replay away at Southampton. (my pet hate team)
I remember all of us en masse walking back to Southampton central after the game, and there was a long hill leading down to the station.
I remember the pace of that walk picking up as we neared the station, as it transpired that their "firm" was waiting for us there. It was a full blown charge at the end, and their "firm" scattered like pidgeons in front of us.

I recall they got their own back as they bricked a few train windows as the return journey commenced.
I've got the programme somewhere in the loft.

Memories, eh?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 19 Nov 2014 13:43

Not sure if it was a "football" special, but a special direct train was put on for us to return from Brentford this season rather than taking the normal one and changing.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 19 Nov 2014 14:29

I remember Thames Trains used to advertise in the programme about recommended services to get to away games.

Again, not football specials as such, but a boisterous journey with like minded supporters was guaranteed.

Think that stopped around 1996.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 19 Nov 2014 16:53

Annie Bassett ran a rail trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers early in 1988/89 season under the SAFE (Safety At Football for Everyone) banner, Reading fans travelled with their families and indeed the team to said fixture by train.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 19 Nov 2014 17:48

floyd__streete Annie Bassett ran a rail trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers early in 1988/89 season under the SAFE (Safety At Football for Everyone) banner, Reading fans travelled with their families and indeed the team to said fixture by train.

I remember that now. You've put 16 years on the original estimate. You are in the lead at close of play, FS.

Did you go? Were you SAFE?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 19 Nov 2014 18:31

I went on that. It certainly wasn't for families. Anyone could go on it.

I think it was part of the deal that saw the southbank called "the network southeast enclosure" for a while.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Nov 2014 11:45

I'd LOVE football specials to come back - then stupid guards wouldn't make an announcement over their tannoy that "we have some football fans on board and would remind them to behave themselves" or whatever was a said a few years back on a train that I was quietly travelling on. :x

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 20 Nov 2014 13:50

Royal Lady I'd LOVE football specials to come back - then stupid guards wouldn't make an announcement over their tannoy that "we have some football fans on board and would remind them to behave themselves" or whatever was a said a few years back on a train that I was quietly travelling on. :x

Im surprised you could hear over the steam and pistons puffing away

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 20 Nov 2014 14:01

Again not technically a football special but I remember one Swindon away fixture circa 1998 there was engineering work on the line between Reading and Swindon.

So FGW laid on a special service going via (but not stopping at) Pewsey or some such. A few ales consumed and on the way back the usual high jinx of fire extinguishers being let off and even set covers ripped off ensued.

Allegedly a few posters on here were involved in the fracas but I'll not name names.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 20 Nov 2014 14:09

Am I the only person intrigued as to the motive behind the question?

Not that I'll personally consider going on a football special as the plod would ensure it was a dry train, which by definition would make it merely a glorified STAR coach.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Nov 2014 16:22

no mention of Hereford? Not the 1972 one, but an FA Cup third round (?) one in 1976 or 1977. I was on that train with a few Tilehurst youths. Too young to drink.

We lost one nil. Never had one shot iirc. In those days Hereford were two leagues above us.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Nov 2014 19:20

tmesis I went on that. It certainly wasn't for families. Anyone could go on it.

I think it was part of the deal that saw the southbank called "the network southeast enclosure" for a while.

I was on that too, a dire 2-0 loss with aNdy Mutch scoring both, who incidentally, I worked with for about 6 months at the turn of the decade. He was a window fitter but quit to sell posh cars to footballers.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 24 Nov 2014 12:41

RFCMod
Royal Lady I'd LOVE football specials to come back - then stupid guards wouldn't make an announcement over their tannoy that "we have some football fans on board and would remind them to behave themselves" or whatever was a said a few years back on a train that I was quietly travelling on. :x

m8!!!! - not seen you in a while - you still look like David Moyes? :wink:

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 24 Nov 2014 12:49

Royal Lady
RFCMod

m8!!!! - not seen you in a while - you still look like David Moyes? :wink:

Well when the Sociedad job came up I had to uproot the family to Spain

Still season ticket holder but travelling more than ever with work so only got the two home games in this season so far,bloody nightmare

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Nov 2014 09:11

Can only remember ever going on two specials, Hereford away in the cup (as previously mentioned but we did have several shots including one by Ray Hiron in the last minute that shaved the post) and Swansea away in the FA Cup circa 1979 where we got thumped 4-1, got chased back to the station and the train was pelted with bricks as it left.

Neither of these trains could be described as "dry"

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 25 Nov 2014 11:48

train getting bricked hmmmmm. Didn't that happen at Palace too when we won 3-1 (1987??)? I was at the game, but as I lived in London I was not on that train. But the cops were at Thornton Heath station and told us the Reading train had been attacked.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 12 Dec 2014 15:17

handbags_harris Am I the only person intrigued as to the motive behind the question?

^bump

Nope, me too.