Should we drop Tom Hark now we're in the Prem?

124 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Aug 2006 12:25

West Stand Man
quinnsleftfoot

BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON, BRING IT ON...........

Which goes some way to proving the point. No-one joined in so they scrapped it. TH, on the other hand does get the action going a bit more than normal so why lose it.

No-one was ever meant to join it - it was a one-off event, orgainised by the players' motivaional consultants, (Catalyst), and using the phrase that the players themselves were using as a motivational trigger.

Apart from that one match it was never meant to be something that was used again.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 22 Aug 2006 17:42

Anyone that likes Tom Hark. Outside. NOW!

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 22 Aug 2006 17:55

Scrap It...Now...

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 22 Aug 2006 20:34

West Stand Man wrote
Which bit of this are you not hearing? It is actually quite clear that the MAJORITY do want TH, the vocal MINORITY on this board don't - but that is clearly unrepresentative of the crowd. I'll not repeat what I wrote above because I am sure you are clever enought o scan back and find it.[/quote]

West Stand Man, I don't think you actually speak for the majority, and i can only assume that this is inaccurate guessing as you are THE STADIUM ANNOUNCER and resident wannabee DJ and quite obviously, desperately, trying to keep your job! I've yet to speak to anyone that wants to retain Tom fcuking Hark or any other artificial insemination of atmosphere. Oh! and thanks for the credit, but no i'm not clever enough to scan back and see what you wrote above so you'll have to post it. Waiting!

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 22 Aug 2006 21:03

baggyroyal1871 I reckon Tom Hark should be replaced with the Sweet Caroline chorus.

Please no, not Sweet Caroline! Thats the sort of song sung by 'middle class lefties' at cheese & wine parties. Why do we actually need any song between kick off and full time apart from spontaneous singing of the crowd generated by the standard of football played? You cant beat the noise of grown men (and women) screaming adoration and noisy momentary desire to make love to some ugly bloke thats just scored.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 22 Aug 2006 21:05

oldebiscuit
baggyroyal1871 I reckon Tom Hark should be replaced with the Sweet Caroline chorus.

Please no, not Sweet Caroline! Thats the sort of song sung by 'middle class lefties' at cheese & wine parties. Why do we actually need any song between kick off and full time apart from spontaneous singing of the crowd generated by the standard of football played? You cant beat the noise of grown men (and women) screaming adoration and noisy momentary desire to make love to some ugly bloke thats just scored.

Tom Hark *was* spontaneous singing of the crowd. Give the club credited - they responded to something started by the fans, and it is something that most fans still respond to at games.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Aug 2006 08:55

oldebiscuit West Stand Man wrote
Which bit of this are you not hearing? It is actually quite clear that the MAJORITY do want TH, the vocal MINORITY on this board don't - but that is clearly unrepresentative of the crowd. I'll not repeat what I wrote above because I am sure you are clever enought o scan back and find it.

West Stand Man, I don't think you actually speak for the majority, and i can only assume that this is inaccurate guessing as you are THE STADIUM ANNOUNCER and resident wannabee DJ and quite obviously, desperately, trying to keep your job! I've yet to speak to anyone that wants to retain Tom fcuking Hark or any other artificial insemination of atmosphere. Oh! and thanks for the credit, but no i'm not clever enough to scan back and see what you wrote above so you'll have to post it. Waiting![/quote]

If it needs spelling out for you again - here goes!

When we score there is a big cheer and lots of clapping etc. When Tom Hark starts MOST of the crowd joins in with it in some way - ergo the MAJORITY is not objecting to it. You may well have never met anyone who wants to retain TH etc, but my eyes tell me that it is working and that the MAJORITY of the crowd do join in.

Hope that is simple enough for you to comprehend.

ps, I am a fan of some 40+ years, and if you'd been on here a while you'd know that I don't work for the club.

pps I don't particularly like it either, but I just ignore it and don't get involved in the switch to chanting it (ergo I just keep cheering and clapping the goal). What I recognise though is that I am in a minority of supporters who don't want to get involved in TH - as are you.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Aug 2006 09:00

This may sound stupid, but it's hard not to join into tom hark.

On saturday I was hoping they wouldn't play it. After the first goal they didn't and it was good. The second reading goal was amazing and the whole of Y25 (and the whole stadium) went mental. However jumping up and down, it was ruined a bit by TH.

No one is going to stop half way through screaming their heads of and jumping around . They won't just stop and sit down.

It's a viscious circle.

You can't tell if people like it by their reaction after a goal.

Alan Titchmarsh

by Alan Titchmarsh » 23 Aug 2006 09:03

Don't know, what position does this Tom Hark bloke play?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 23 Aug 2006 09:20

bobby1413 This may sound stupid, but it's hard not to join into tom hark.

No one is going to stop half way through screaming their heads of and jumping around . They won't just stop and sit down.

It's a viscious circle.

You can't tell if people like it by their reaction after a goal.

Yes you can tell by the post goal reaction - because if they didn't like it they'd just keep cheering and clapping and going mental but not in time to the music; it can be done, trust me. The fact is that the majority of the crowd does switch to pumping their arms in the air and singing along with TH.

The main difference between my view and some of the others here is that I don't see myself as some sort of fun-gestapo who wants to stop other people doing something that they enjoy, just because I don't enjoy it. Get a life, and find some thing important to get wound up about rather than a silly little tune that is played when we score - just be grateful we are scoring and that they are Prem League goals.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Aug 2006 12:05

Thats the sort of song sung by 'middle class lefties' at cheese & wine parties

And the Reading FC squad at the end of last season.

Obviously.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 23 Aug 2006 12:23

papereyes
Thats the sort of song sung by 'middle class lefties' at cheese & wine parties

And the Reading FC squad at the end of last season.

Obviously.

Change the words to Sweet Coppell time and I don't have a problem with it :wink:

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 23 Aug 2006 12:26

rabidbee Tom Hark *was* spontaneous singing of the crowd. Give the club credited - they responded to something started by the fans, and it is something that most fans still respond to at games.

I believe they were taking the piss out of the opposition supporters for playing music after a goal?!

Kind of ironic really.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Aug 2006 12:30

Skin Change the words to Sweet Coppell time and I don't have a problem with it :wink:

simple ... I like it!

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 23 Aug 2006 12:35

Yep get rid of it
Classic tune but not for football anymore
All this music shit is turning games into American sports,when you go to MLS games over there they have constant tannoy adverts through the game and music for just about everything from corners to near misses

Scylla

by Scylla » 23 Aug 2006 18:17

oldebiscuit

Must be New Labour. Round here we listen to Closer while complaining that someone nicked our original copy of Spiral Scratch.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 23 Aug 2006 20:29

West stand man Quoted......[The fact is that the majority of the crowd does switch to pumping their arms in the air and singing along with TH.

West stand man, you just don't get it, do you? joining in with TFH is one of those paradoxical behavioural patterns that we follow. A doner kebab after a night on the beer, Dancing to Agadoo at your cousins wedding, Turning on the TV when england are playing. You do it, but HATE yourself afterwards. :!:

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 23 Aug 2006 20:32

How about a rendition of the chorus of Sweet Caroline?

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 23 Aug 2006 20:43

AbovetheI How about a rendition of the chorus of Sweet Caroline?

We at the Magic FM annual cheese & wine party? Fcuk this, i'm off to find a football website.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 24 Aug 2006 02:31

Rich@Eaststand
rabidbee Tom Hark *was* spontaneous singing of the crowd. Give the club credited - they responded to something started by the fans, and it is something that most fans still respond to at games.

I believe they were taking the piss out of the opposition supporters for playing music after a goal?!

Kind of ironic really.

No, as I remember it, we were taking the piss out of the opposition because we had scored a goal. I remember us starting it at the Burnley 5-2 game, but that was three years ago. Is that right, or is my memory playing tricks? Anyway, if my memory is fcuked, they played Tom Hark to much jubilation after they had equalised, so we responded by singing it at them when we retook the lead - and another three times. For obvious reasons, they didn't bother playing TH when they scored their second, deep into injury time. So we sang it and celebrated wildly on their behalf.

After that, I thought we just started singing it at away games.

124 posts