PA announcer

498 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: PA announcer

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2015 11:34

This guy, combined with that fukawful siren and the atrociously managed stop start Sweet Caroline where our fans only sing two words and some durs before lapsing back into silence makes the pre match build up an absolute shambles.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 16 Sep 2015 11:59

RustyRoyal Booed as he read out "Number 13 Reading Fans" :lol:

Was he booed though? I didn't hear that, just loud cheers almost which doesn't help.

I never complain about these sorts of things and always say people are too picky, but I have to say in this case it's justified. He is a total idiot and totally cringe worthy. He honestly does remind me of some sort of drunk uncle at a party who somehow manages to grab the microphone of the band/DJ and is messing about.

All this: "COMMMMEEEEE ONNNN YOUUUUUUU ARSSSSSSSSSS"

It's nothing personal and it's not too bad, just totally over the top. Reading the players names - fine and decent, but screaming down the microphone about roaring for the royals, it's just artificial and forced.

Last night also annoyed me that straight after the red card, the final whistle went, fans still screaming about it and they blast music out of the tannoy. It's like the organisers don't even watch the game, or have any knowledge, interest or involvement.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Sep 2015 12:00

RustyRoyal Booed as he read out "Number 13 Reading Fans" :lol:

We should do this every game. Along with booing when he says 'roar for the royals'

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 16 Sep 2015 12:03

He is clearly going for a NASPAA (is the professional association for sports public address announcers and the individuals who hire and assign announcers.) nomination, unfortunately that is USA based and he is in the UK, so may be someone should tell him to try for an American soccer team.
https://www.naspaa.net/?p=awards
As the NASPAA say: "Many P.A. announcers have not received training and education and do not follow approved P.A. Since the NASPAA provides programs and services and professional development opportunities for P.A announcers, it is positioned to meet the needs and interests of P.A. announcers of our member schools."

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 16 Sep 2015 12:45

Green Tough job and someone has to do it, right?

What's with all the beef guys?

Why has someone got to do it ?! All we need is the teams announced . And team changes as the game progresses. We do not NEED anything else . And we need 0 hype . The Liverpool FC announcer has it right - or has done over many years, if they've change it this year ? - . Just read out the bloody names .

The product as a whole is severely demeaned by all this hyped up rubbish. The footballers and the game are why we turn up.
And get rid of ALL the music . I want to talk to people before the game and at half time without having to go down below the stadium . I'm pretty sure the pre-game pa music was brought in originally to surpress the crowd chanting and it's done a very good job unfortunately .

Stop hyping it . The "experience - if we have to call it that - is absolutely fine as it is . We've come to watch a football match .

download

by download » 16 Sep 2015 12:51

I'm in agreement with Great Knolly.

Sure have some music, but not so loud particularly before the game and at half time. They also need to judge the atmosphere with the crowd, too often there is an atmosphere already and the music and announcement just overwhelm it.

The drummer and Sweet Caroline music players need to come to an arrangement. We often have the two playing something different at the same time.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 16 Sep 2015 13:07

Time for a poll!!!!

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 16 Sep 2015 13:11

download The drummer and Sweet Caroline music players need to come to an arrangement. We often have the two playing something different at the same time.

'The world is a depressing place at the moment, what with the crisis in Syria and the fact that a loony has been elected as Labour leader....'

'... I know, and the worst of it is that the drummer and the PA team aren't in sync! I can hardly sleep at night!'

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Sep 2015 14:54

A few games ago he yelled "So back the boys and lets all raise the roof" or something

The PA guy wouldn't be such an annoyance if they turned the volume on his microphone down, it's too loud much louder than the safety chimes/announcements which should be the loudest announcement there is.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 16 Sep 2015 15:43

Why do we need someone telling us anything at all , apart from team information . Or useful club announcements .
And I would get rid of ALL the music . Can someone tell me what it is for ? I LOVE music . But if want to listen to it I go to listen to it. One of the potentially great aspects of going to the football IS the crowd chanting/singing . The football is the main "entertainment"/event , and the crowd should provide the surrounding atmosphere . An atmosphere that reflects what is going in the match .

To be fair to football , once the game starts it is a generally free of forced fun compared to a lot of sports . Could lose the goal music though.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Sep 2015 16:16

Sounds like you were born in the wrong decade unfortunately Great Knolly. That's just not the way things are done any more.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 16 Sep 2015 17:15

I don't think it has anything to with age. I'd like to see the whole experience of a football match improved . Essentially : less would be more.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 16 Sep 2015 17:23

So Green, Do you actually enjoy the announcer and the music ? Maybe you do . It's all about opinions.

I just think the people who run these clubs feel they need to be seen to be doing something to justify their existence . The product they have is brilliant* footballers. They don't have brilliant DJs , brilliant orators, fantastic chefs etc. And if they did those things are peripheral anyway

*Relatively speaking these people , love them or hate them are brilliant footballers

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2015 17:23

download
The drummer and Sweet Caroline music players need to come to an arrangement. We often have the two playing something different at the same time.

its like they do it on purpose.

any time sweet caroline, or indeed any self generated chant starts, they start with the oxf*rd drumming Blarmy shit and confuse the oxf*rd out of it all

BOOOOOO

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Sep 2015 17:25

Great Knolly Why do we need someone telling us anything at all , apart from team information . Or useful club announcements .
And I would get rid of ALL the music . Can someone tell me what it is for ? I LOVE music . But if want to listen to it I go to listen to it. One of the potentially great aspects of going to the football IS the crowd chanting/singing . The football is the main "entertainment"/event , and the crowd should provide the surrounding atmosphere . An atmosphere that reflects what is going in the match .

ive always been a massive fan of prematch music.
especially when they used to play good songs.
can still remember a lot of the old songs they used to play at elm park etc

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 16 Sep 2015 18:21

Decent pre match music is great. Decent goal music could be alright, always liked Norwiches for some reason, but 95% of it all is atrociously terrible, cringey and crap.

As for pa announcers we should get this guy

http://youtu.be/QXROcBwRf2E

Although I somehow doubt he'd get the same reaction from the madejski :lol:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Sep 2015 18:48

Green Sounds like you were born in the wrong decade unfortunately Great Knolly. That's just not the way things are done any more.

Greeners, the bloke is a massive helmet spouting utter nonsensical shit at full volume.

Plus they play Sweet Caroline at kick off (1st and 2nd half FFS) and then it carries on whilst the game goes on only to be then faded down really badly. It's amateurish.

This is coming from me, as you know Green, such a fun loving, amenable and laid back guy so imagine what most of the punters think?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 16 Sep 2015 18:58

Mouldy ol dough blasted out on dodgy tannoys

No pre match platitudes....let's reclaim the game and lose the American cheerleader shizzle

Just read out the teamlists

Just read out the half times

"Thank you for coming" at the end of the game

I'll do it for half of his fee

Sorted

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2015 19:52

I still dislike refusing to read the away team out just prior to kick off as well.

I happened to be in the stadium early enough to hear their line up read out, but the guy rushed through it when there were very few present.

Reading out the teamsheet is the appropriate time to give an ex-Royal (like Pearce) a cheer. You then give them stick throughout the game as is the natural order of things, before giving them a clap at the end again.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2015 21:17

What's his obsession with playing - 'Magic' by Pilot?

Pretty sure I heard it played twice before kickoff yesterday.

Are we meant to base a player song on it?

498 posts