Safe-standing areas - TIME FOR ACTION

224 posts
Once were Biscuitmen

Re: Safe-standing areas - TIME FOR ACTION

by Once were Biscuitmen » 05 Jan 2011 10:47

While a section of footballs fan base favours limited safe-standing what incentives are there for Clubs and government to agree?

The government of the day might benefit slightly from the goodwill of fans happy with a move to safe standing. However balanced against the risk of any injuries of fatalities that might occur as a result of the move that would blamed on the government you can see why successive administrations have declined to act. I believe this is a manageable risk but you could never prove that it would be zero risk (because nothing in life is).

From the clubs perspective an all seater stadium is easier to manage and- I would suggest- more likely to create an experience favoured by the families which Clubs prefer to attract. Standing crowds would require more Stewards and alterations to Stadia. If say Y26 were to be converted to terracing then both the concourse and the areas in the stadium would have to be sectioned off to stop fans from the seated area moving there and causing over-crowding. It would also encourage away fans to stands and perhaps require similar alterations to the South Stand.

So in summary safe standing is favoured by a small group of primarily younger men as it would increase their enjoyment of the game. Now as this group is probably still going to come to games anyway and the risk/cost considerations are never going to sway the authorities it’s simply not going to happen. Sorry.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Jan 2011 11:52

Once were Biscuitmen While a section of footballs fan base favours limited safe-standing what incentives are there for Clubs and government to agree?

The government of the day might benefit slightly from the goodwill of fans happy with a move to safe standing. However balanced against the risk of any injuries of fatalities that might occur as a result of the move that would blamed on the government you can see why successive administrations have declined to act. I believe this is a manageable risk but you could never prove that it would be zero risk (because nothing in life is).

From the clubs perspective an all seater stadium is easier to manage and- I would suggest- more likely to create an experience favoured by the families which Clubs prefer to attract. Standing crowds would require more Stewards and alterations to Stadia. If say Y26 were to be converted to terracing then both the concourse and the areas in the stadium would have to be sectioned off to stop fans from the seated area moving there and causing over-crowding. It would also encourage away fans to stands and perhaps require similar alterations to the South Stand.

So in summary safe standing is favoured by a small group of primarily younger men as it would increase their enjoyment of the game. Now as this group is probably still going to come to games anyway and the risk/cost considerations are never going to sway the authorities it’s simply not going to happen. Sorry.

Covert the North stand to standing and let all the fans who want to stand, swear, taunt the opposition, move there.

i.e. turn it into an old school home end. Why the hell the more vociferous fans want to sit in Y26 I have no sodding idea...... it just seems like a porrly thought out hangover from Elm Park.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 05 Jan 2011 11:59

So they can more easily "interact" with away fans in the South stand.

Would there be enough demand to warrant converting the whole North stand?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jan 2011 23:55

John Madejski's Wallet
Once were Biscuitmen While a section of footballs fan base favours limited safe-standing what incentives are there for Clubs and government to agree?

Covert the North stand to standing and let all the fans who want to stand, swear, taunt the opposition, move there.

i.e. turn it into an old school home end. Why the hell the more vociferous fans want to sit in Y26 I have no sodding idea...... it just seems like a porrly thought out hangover from Elm Park.

I don't like the view from an end, but I find high in a corner slightly more to the side is quite good, although I prefer it nearer the halfway line. My expereinces in Y22 area were that its much more likely you'll end up near someone who never has a good word to say about anything or anyone there.

I'd move to the North to give it ago if there was standing there though...

224 posts